It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer Whales Destroy Teeth Eating Sharks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Just an interesting find and article. Only one Orca lineage or species eats shark - and wears their teeth down to the gums!

...one type of killer whale, or orca, has been found to dine on an unusual dish: shark. But these 'offshore' killer whales of the northeastern Pacific pay a high price for their tough-skinned preference — their teeth become worn right down to the gums.

...From examination of dead stranded orcas and museum specimens, Ford found that the average offshore orca has worn its teeth right down, exposing their pulpy centres.

...it could be that older animals switch foods, says Baird — just as some humans switch to softer fare in later life.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I would assume if they kept it up neuro-electrically they would send charges to their information processing area of brains which in turn would send signals to the teeth processing area of the brain and begin to evolve bigger sharper teeth down their blood line. Mammals

edit on 1/24/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Orca dentures! Star and Flag cool story.

It's a pity they don't grow their teeth continuously like the Great White... Or maybe they do, I don't know animals.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Perhaps during the great white evolution their teeth started growing back when they went for bigger prey.
So too could the Orca. It's a problem now but they will probably evolve like the great whites. Become better predators.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Just about anything in the ocean that they can fit in their mouths is fair game to Orca...
The only dish i have never heard of an orca eating is man.
Perhaps they dont want to catch aids?........................................

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I just had a great idea for the ending of the next "JAWS" movie!!!

new topics

top topics

join