It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you being gay affect me being straight?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenBeans

How do you know? Seriously, holding hands isn't sexual. For all you know, they were close brothers. Or maybe French tourists. Maybe one was palming a bud to the other.

"I don't know" was an accurate answer to your child, because you didn't know.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

Originally posted by G.A.G.
, but a 5yr old knows little about words "love or *snip*"

on a side note:
there seem to be some rather decent, thought out and rational replies in the thread so far.

For now.

edit on January 25th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: snipped derogatory term

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bones_
Agree with above.. "because they love each other" would be a great answer.
Why try to make it complicated?

Because that's a BS answer.

I love many men but we don't hold hands, kiss etc. etc.

"They're not attracted to any Women, only Men," would be a much more honest and accurate answer.

edit on 24-1-2011 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

i took the op to be asking the question and so i answered...ive had to deal with the explanation of why mummy and daddy dont stay together anymore and why he has to visit 2 houses....then why he has 2 moms and 2 dads....he loves it at christmas btw......but being open and letting my child judge for himself is preferable to me...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

Well I think hindsight is a wonderful thing. Face facts buddy you did the best you did under the circumstances at that time. I know that more likely than not other opportunities came to have that particular conversation and you probably had a better opportunity to show some flair and explain in an age-appropriate manner.

That is the way of parenting.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenBeans

They are holding hands because they make each other horny (and yes, they might also love each other).

Holding hands to make each other horny?
Now that's a new one.
Welcome to the new day and age, when that would not be the case.
When children hold hands do you scold them for making sexual advances towards each other? No.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ACEWARDOG

Hey, I agree that everyone should be free to love who they want.
I have my opinions and don't press them onto others, within this realm.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
And to answer the question in your title.

Me being gay does not affect you being straight, unless YOU choose to have it affect you.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

I'm not gay but I still have an opinion, for what it's worth. I don't believe that it's the gay guys that are affecting you. Quite to the contrary, it sounds to me like it's your own inability to truthfully explain the situation to your child that makes you feel uncomfortable.

It would have been so easy to just say it was because they love each other. If, as you explained, your 5 yr. old child has no concept of love, well that might be one more thing worth working on.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

thankyou for your understanding and support. Its nice to see that even though some wouldnt have handled it the same way, most here are "thinking" before they reply.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenBeans

Because that's a BS answer. I love many men but we don't hold hands, kiss etc. etc.

They are holding hands because they make each other horny (and yes, they might also love each other).

The reason you are not holding another man's hand, regardless of why, is because in America you would be labeled as a homosexual if seen doing it, and also because, although I don't know you, you probably are not gay. I guarantee you hold hands with your wife or child or girlfriend or mother right? Is that not an expression of love?

Holding hands may not wholly be symbolic of a homosexual relationship, but if you do away with linguistic intricacies and semantics, then yes, two men holding hands are doing so because they on some level love each other, and given the parlents of our time and our social customs in America, you are probably holding hand with a man because you are not straight.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

i wasnt trying to press my opinion the question was asked and answered but thnx for being respectfull etc with your replies...show good character and apologies if i came across wrong

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

No worries. I think I misunderstood your reply. But, never mind that.
I don't care what a person does behind closed doors or who they love. If 3 guys want to walk down the road holding hands, who cares? It does no harm to me.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
hey gag i didnt mean to try to talk down to you or overthink my reply i know what i would have said as i have 4 kids and have dealt with pretty much the same thing....i have also been at a party slagging someone off calling them a poof only to discover they were and were having a hard time coming out with it....were good friends now....i can understand where your coming from so apologies

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

There seems to be quite a simple answer to your quandary.

If your 5-year-old son had asked ''why are that boy and girl holding hands ?'' then what would your answer be ?

edit on 24-1-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubPop79
The reason you are not holding another man's hand, regardless of why, is because in America you would be labeled as a homosexual if seen doing it, and also because, although I don't know you, you probably are not gay.

If I told my kid "because they love each other" he would then ask why my brother and I, my father and I etc. etc. etc. don't hold hands. "Don't you love Uncle Jack?"

The honest answer is that those two men in the store were holding hands, most likely, because they are homosexual (which means they aren't attracted to any Women, only to Men.).

Just saying "because they love each other" doesn't really answer the question (IE. it's a BS answer).
edit on 24-1-2011 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
reply to post by G.A.G.

There seems to be quite a simple answer to your quandary.

If your 5-year-old son had asked ''why are that boy and girl holding hands ?'' then what would your answer be ? [quote

Ah! The old answering-your-question-with-a-question gig. I like it. Your child will learn the right answer, form their opinion (though it may take time), and have spurred intellectual abilities.
edit on 24-1-2011 by SubPop79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

No harm, no foul. In fact I really didnt take much offense anyway. Contrary to what most here may believe...being gay in a private setting is their own perogative and I dont have a big deal with it.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubPop79
Ah! The old answering-your-question-with-a-question gig. I like it. Your child will learn the right answer, form their opinion (though it may take time), and have spurred intellectual abilities.

I didn't answer my question with another question.

I was asking the OP what answer he would have given his young son if he had asked why a man and woman were holding hands.

Whatever answer he would had given would surely also suffice for the same question about two men holding hands.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join