It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rahm Emanuel Kicked off of the Chicago Ballot

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
i have a sneaking feeling that Rham running for Mayor there has some connection with
Chicago being the ReElection Headquarters for the Øbama Regime Machine...

i've heard that his opting for becoming a 'write-in' candidate would allow him to run for the position
of Mayor....(AKA: city boss, chicago war-lord...for the year long Øbama campaign...mobilization of
the ACORN brownshirts...the eventual battalions of enforcers being assigned to major Metro's
in all 50 states and the several territories & districts [Guam, Samoa, et al] ...)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I have to say that it is a good call, by the Illinois Appellate Court. The law is the law, and he ought realize that. However, he will fight it, because it is right. There is a flip side though, he can try to bring his case before the Illinois Supreme Court, but that is no guarantee they will take the case. This matter has already been through two courts, and his mayoral candidacy was denied both times. The high court is going to take a look at that. Moreover, the election is next month and he is desperately short on time. So, even if there is some kind of ruling and the Supreme Court hears his case, he will have to be a write-in candidate.

The only reason he left the Obama Administration is the simple fact that Mayor Richard Daley is leaving office, and Daley had the city on lock-down. If anything, he is a handpicked choice by the Machine, it has nothing to do with campaign dollars, snazzy campaign posters, or who speaks on his behalf. Furthermore, no one gets elected unless the political luminaries sign off on it.This decision throws everything into jeopardy. The people of Chicago ought to appreciate this decision. It is in their best interests, and is following the letter of the law.

Electing Emanuel would be one thug taking over for another. The cycle of corruption, high taxes, wasteful spending, and decrepit city services will continue. On the other hand, we are talking about the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois. It is one of the most corrupt places in the country. Where the dead crawl out of their graves to vote, bribes are the key to political fortune, city workers campaign on the taxpayer's dime, and has the motto: "Vote early and vote often." Crazy things always happen there, and he will probably get his miraculous ruling. Then things will be back to normal.
edit on 25-1-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Illinois Supreme Court just ruled Rahms name has to be on the ballot until the residency situation is resolved.
Sounds like they are going to take it to me.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
reply to post by maybereal11

From what I've seen of the candidates replies on the local news, they all seem to agree that Rahm is ineligible under the current law and they all discussed the possibility of changing it in the future, but will not impact next months election, and the law must be followed.

Of course the other candidates are going to say that! C'mon. thier opinion is not relevant.

As to soldiers, that was one of the arguments in the appeal. The judge agreed that there was a significant difference between "dodging bombs in Iraq" and collecting a $170,000 salary from an appointed government position that you could leave/be fired from at any time.

This helps. Thank you. Googling now. Cant find what you are referring to at all. A distinction was not specified in the ruling as far as I can tell.

Where did you get that?

this is what I am finding.

The court order states, "We believe, therefore, that the initial purpose of the 'reside in' requirement for candidates, and the failure of the legislature to alter that language in the current Municipal Code, strongly indicates that the phrase 'resided in' as used in the Municipal Code requires actual, not constructive, residence."

The decision goes on to say, a candidate "must have actually resided within the municipality for one year prior to the election, a qualification that the candidate unquestionably does not satisfy."

abclocal.go.com.../politics&id=7915809

The court agreed with Emanuel’s contention that he met Chicago’s voter residency standard but added that wasn’t enough to allow his run for mayor.

"...a candidate must meet not only the Election Code's voter residency standard, but also must have actually resided within the municipality for one year prior to the election, a qualification that the candidate unquestionably does not satisfy," the ruling stated.

politics.blogs.foxnews.com...

The first paragraph acknowledges the "State or National service" exemption as it applies to VOTERS.. (voters residency standard)

But the second part of the ruling would clearly seem to exclude Soldiers returning from service.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Could you provide a source? If they said that it is not good, and a blow to the whole idea of them being impartial. How can they say anything about it, without reviewing the facts of the case first? I suppose they got their cash filled envelopes with their morning coffee? It sounds like more political mischief in Illinois?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

UPDATE

HE's back on the ballot...

Rahm Emanuel stays on mayoral ballot while Chicago residency reviewed

Breaking news was announced on the Chicago Mayoral elections on January 25, 2011. The Illinois State Supreme Court has ruled that candidate Rahm Emanuel must be listed on the ballots until the Chicago residency issue is decided, according to a news report on WGN. Rahm Emanuel's lawyer appealed the January 24, 2011 decision by the Illinois Apellate Court that Emanuel did not meet the residency requirement.

No surprise here...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
reply to post by searching4truth

Could you provide a source? If they said that it is not good, and a blow to the whole idea of them being impartial. How can they say anything about it, without reviewing the facts of the case first? I suppose they got their cash filled envelopes with their morning coffee? It sounds like more political mischief in Illinois?

At your request abclocal.go.com.../politics&id=7917369

Well, the election board started printing ballots monday without Rahms name on it, and according to them the issue is still unresolved. To me that says they intend on hearing it.
edit on 25-1-2011 by searching4truth because: (no reason given)

Ok, I can't get the direct link to work, here is a link to the main page and its the top story. abclocal.go.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Thanks for the update.

But Chicago politics is Chicago politics. . . . oh well.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It isn't over yet, the SC just ruled that his name must be on the ballot while they review the residency deal, they could still find him ineligible though it's highly unlikely.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I thought it was too good to be true. Politicians always find a way.

Kinda like cockroaches.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

The interview I was referring to was aired on cltv this morning with the one of the lawyer's I will try to find it.

Of course their opinion is biased, I didn't say otherwise, the fact remains they were discussing changing the law or the wording of the law in the future, however to their joy it doesn't effect the current situation.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Thanks for the update everyone. Here is another source from the Chicago Tribune, and from the sounds of it his name will remain on the ballot.

Supreme Court: Emanuel stays on ballot while his case is considered

“The appellate court decision is stayed,’’ the Supreme Court’s order reads. “The Board of Elections is directed that if any ballots are printed while this Court is considering this case, the ballots should include the name of petitioner Rahm Emanuel as a candidate for Mayor of the City of Chicago.’’

This is already beginning to sound fishy? Stay tuned!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
There is nothing fishy going on with this current development.

The IL Supreme Court just told the board of elections that IF they are going to start printing ballots, to keep Rahm's name on the ballot. Because the issue isn't resolved yet...they don't want them having to reprint all the ballots if his name is left out. But with his name on the ballot...if the decision stays that he is inelgible, then they just black out his name on the printed ballots and votes for him don't count.

I still think the IL Supreme Court will overturn the decision...but this order was simply to save money and paper so they don't have to reprint ballots.

Calm down people...nothing odd is going on.

And what happened to supporting the courts???

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

The interview I was referring to was aired on cltv this morning with the one of the lawyer's I will try to find it.

Of course their opinion is biased, I didn't say otherwise, the fact remains they were discussing changing the law or the wording of the law in the future, however to their joy it doesn't effect the current situation.

Well regardless of Rahm's situation I would like to see it sorted out sooner than later. It has been my experience that those who have actually served in the military and gone off to war and literally fought for this country often have a unique and valuable perspective to offer in political office and this ruling ...as it stands...says they can't run for office until waiting a year after returning.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Yah...that was lightening fast wasn't it. "The law is the law!" became..."damn corrupt judges" pretty fast.

Guess it depends on the left/right thing for some.

edit on 25-1-2011 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I am not surprised, Chicago politics as usual.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Bullseye! This post is pure WIN.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Emanuel case highlights politics of picking judges

The two Appellate Court judges responsible for tossing Rahm Emanuel from the ballot in February's mayoral race both won their jobs after being anointed by a Chicago political power broker who openly supports an Emanuel opponent.

Whether or not their opinions are colored by politics, the case has recharged the debate among critics who decry a process of selecting judges that relies more heavily on political clout than merit.

Longtime Appellate Court Judges Thomas E. Hoffman and Shelvin Louise Marie Hall — who on Monday ruled that Emanuel's stay in Washington precludes him from running for mayor this year — were both judicial candidates slated for election by the Cook County Democratic Party judicial slating committee chaired by Ald. Edward Burke, 14th.
www.chicagotribune.com...
Burke, one of Chicago's most powerful politicians, holds huge sway in the election of judges at every level, including the Illinois Supreme Court, where his wife, Anne, sits as a justice and where the Emanuel ballot question is now headed for a final decision.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Looks like the IL Supreme Court has decided to take the case...we shall see soon what happens. And we all agree to support the decsion...right??? Right guys???

news.yahoo.com...

Illinois' highest court agreed Tuesday to decide whether Rahm Emanuel can run for Chicago mayor, and justices ordered election officials not to print any ballots without his name until they rule on the case.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
They've decided to look at the case.
It's obvious Rahm cut another bribery check, he better hope this one doesn't bounce as well.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join