It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elton John is 'fed up' with being treated as a 'second-class citizen' in the U.S.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
So, again, what does his citizenship have to do with it?

Asked and answered. Go back and re-read.

I could also leave the country if I want.

Oh .. now you are just teasing me!

Doesn't mean that I don't care about inequality just because it doesn't affect me personally

Again .. he didn't say what it was that makes him feel like he's being treated like a second class citizen.
He didn't say it was 'inequity'. He didn't say it was anything.

All he's doing is living (part time in Atlanta and California?) in this country and whining
that he's a 'second class citizen' .. while complaining about the Church of England and
American political rhetoric. In the past he has stated that he's got a civil union in England
and he is happy with that and doesn't want to be married. That means his problem can't be the
California ban on gay marriage. So if he can't say exactly what it is that America does that
is so bad that he feels 'second class' .. and it's so grand in England, then he should just live there.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Here is the difference BH, you were most likely born here. That means this is your home. It is like somebody telling you that you don't have a voice in the rules of your own house/home.

Elton is technically a visitor. If he feels that things run better in his house/home he should stay there. He doesn't need to go to his neighbor's house and tell them what rules to follow. If you don't like the way your neighbor runs his home stay in yours. If what he is doing doesn't effect you, disassociate yourself. Don't walk over, sit on his couch, eat his Cheerio's, and tell him how he should do things.

edit on 24-1-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I didn't know he was a citizen of the U.S. I just made a quick web search and couldn't find a source that would make me think that he is one. I can understand his concern for gay rights or whatever, but I don't think a non-citizen should be adding crap to the stew.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Asked and answered. Go back and re-read.

Answer shown to be a sham. Re-reading it isn't going to make it make sense.

Oh .. now you are just teasing me!

Sorry for the glimmer of hope. But you know I'd be 'here' even if I lived in another country.

Again .. he didn't say what it was that makes him feel like he's being treated like a second class citizen.

I know. I'm assuming because of the context, that it's California's gay marriage ban.

All he's doing is living (part time in Atlanta and California?) in this country and whining
that he's a 'second class citizen' ..

And you think he shouldn't? That's a real question. I'm afraid I don't 'get' it. Is there something inherently unacceptable in complaining about being treated like a second class citizen?

In the past he has stated that he's got a civil union in England
and he is happy with that and doesn't want to be married.

Let's put this in terms of women instead of gay people because that's something that we both can relate to.

Let's say a decree came down that women can not obtain drivers licenses. No more driving for women. Now. A woman who doesn't want to drive can still feel as though she's treated as a second-class citizen, even though SHE may not want to drive right now. Maybe sometime down the line, who knows? She may just want to drive. But because of this ridiculous decree, she won't have the choice. Because she's a woman. She can still feel that she's treated as a second class citizen because her gender takes the choice away.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Is there something inherently unacceptable in complaining about being treated like a second class citizen?

No, not at all. If he was a citizen, then I wouldn't even be commenting in this thread. I'm just particularly fed up with outsiders complaining about what goes on in the U.S. I am a U.S. citizen, but have only lived 10 of my 40 years inside U.S territory. I've lived in the U.K. for more than a few years, and not once did I think it was my place to complain about how things are there. I have a spouse visa for Japan, and can be there as long as I want. The minute I start criticizing the government, all I can expect is a ticket home.
edit on 24-1-2011 by tamusan because: typos induced by sleep deprivation

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Let's say a decree came down that women can not obtain drivers licenses. No more driving for women. Now. A woman who doesn't want to drive can still feel as though she's treated as a second-class citizen, even though SHE may not want to drive right now. Maybe sometime down the line, who knows? She may just want to drive. But because of this ridiculous decree, she won't have the choice. Because she's a woman. She can still feel that she's treated as a second class citizen because her gender takes the choice away.

In order for your example to fit, your woman would have to be a resident alien. IE a non-citizen.
So if a woman from (randomly selecting a country...) India came to work and live in your hypothetical America and observed that women aren't allowed to drive here. If she doesn't like this, maybe she would weigh the option of a move back to India where she can (hypothetically) drive all she wants..

Oh wait. You say she made all her money here and would be giving up her good paying job if she went to India?
Sounds like she has a tough choice to choose from: American standard of living/pay with no driving, or India's standard of living and pay and the ability to drive..

But it seems to me that Sir Elton wouldn't be financially troubled by a move back home...
Personally, I agree that gays should be able to MARRY (assuming this is the basis of John's complaint).
But I also believe that if he really had a problem with the system, he would buy himself a citizenship (he has enough money and status - CBE) and vote like the rest of us.
Until he's a citizen, he should have no right to insert his influence in American politics.
edit on 1/24/2011 by nasdack24k because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Elton John = Big Ego.

2nd line

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Answer shown to be a sham. Re-reading it isn't going to make it make sense.

Um .. no.
My answer, and the others who answered, explained it perfectly.
Try rereading it. Repeating ourselves just to try to pound it through to you gets old.

I'm assuming because of the context, that it's California's gay marriage ban.

That's just it. He didn't say what it was that made him feel that way. And his recent past statements have been such that he has been just fine about not getting married and that he's happy with his UK civil union.

He brought up the Church of England. Well .. sorry Sir Elton but the Church of England has nothing to do with how the US is run or how people here behave. Not many folks here are Church of England .. ya' know? And nearly all of us here in the USA don't give a rats backend what the foggies in that church say.

He brought up the bickering in DC. Again .. while nearly all of us can't stand it, it has nothing to do with making people feel like second class citizens. Just because a dem and a republican in DC can't get along .. that doesn't effect my self worth ... it doesn't effect homosexuals self worths .. it doesn't effect hard core church goers self worths ... it doesn't effect anyones self worth .. it just makes those dems and republicans look pathetic.

Is there something inherently unacceptable in complaining about being treated like a second class citizen?

He hasn't said WHY ... what it is that makes him feel that way.
In the past he has stated that he's got a civil union in England
and he is happy with that and doesn't want to be married.

Let's put this in terms of women instead of gay people because that's something that we both can relate to.

We can't 'put this' in any terms .. cuz' we dont' even know what 'this' is. See?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
* That's the title of one of the articles .. using his words of 'fed up' and 'second class citizen'

The articles don't say how exactly he feels like a second class citizen here. No exact list of complaints as to why the US allegedly treats him like a second class citizen. He complains about political rhetoric in the USA and he complains about the Church of England being behind the times .. but he doesnt' specify why exactly he thinks he's being treated as a 'second class' citizen here in the USA.

Sir Elton John is "fed up" with being a treated like a "second-class citizen" in the U.S.
That's why the 63-year-old gay singer said he took a stand last week during a performance at a private Beverly Hills fundraiser for the ongoing legal challenge to California's gay marriage ban

The couple's son, Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John, was born in California through a surrogate mother. John said he was disappointed that members of the Church of England questioned his parenthood in the days following his son's birth. He insisted that he's not against religion and that "Jesus was a wonderful, compassionate man, who forgave on the cross."

You keep repeating in your thread how Elton does not specify why he feels like a second class citizen and why he is bringing up the Church of England.

If you read the article you linked to is it spelled out pretty clear. .

Which leads me to one of two conclusions:

1. You didn't even read your own article.

2. You are being deliberately obtuse so as to drive debate, i.e. "trolling."

I am ruling out a reading comprehension issue because you seen like an intelligent and articulate individual.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I wish i had Eltons problems.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crutchley29
I wish i had Eltons problems.

I don't... what a drama queen.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka
You are being deliberately obtuse so as to drive debate, i.e. "trolling."

Yeah, right ... cuz' I really need the points or standing or something

He said he is fed up with being treated as a second class citizen in the US and also cited the Church of England. The Church of England has nothing to do with the US. In the past he has said that he has a civil union and doesn't want to be married. Even if California allowed same sex marriage he isn't a citizen of the US so it wouldn't apply to him anyways. (unless someone finds something that says he's really a US citizen, then that changes things)

So he complains about the Church of England ... but that has nothing to do with the USA.
So he complains about being treated as a second class citizen .. but doesn't specify how/why.
He does this at an event for gay marriage in California making some people think it's about gay marriage and him not being able to get married .. but he isn't a citizen and couldn't use that even if he wanted to .. and in the past he has said he didn't want to anyways.

So where exactly is this 'second class citizen' treatment in the USA?

Did the interview take place in the back seat of his limo, while he was sipping champagne and eating bon bons, surrounded by adoring fans ... ohhhhh .. if only we could all be treated as this 'second class' citizen in the USA is!

(side note .. not that it matters .. I"m not against same sex marriage.)

<< 1   >>

join