It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Betelgeuse to nova ? Not a hope - so don't hold your breaths for it happening anytime soon !

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

That doesn't support your assertion---it merely states that ANYTIME in the next 1000 years it could go. Which does not mean "anytime, but much more likely to be closer to 1000 than 1." It means "anytime, from tomorrow to Jan 24th 3011."

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Why avoid the wording, Betelgeuse is "Expanding" its outer gases while diminishing its mass. Any reports of "seeing" Betelgeuse as more profoundly red/orange are not unfounded at all.

Everything is fine until a critical point is reached when the supply of available hydrogen begins to run out for Betelgeuse, At that point there is more helium than hydrogen within the star and energy production begins to decrease.
Once this happens, the relentless crushing forces of gravity momentarily gain the upper hand and begins to once more compress the material of the star towards it's center.

I realize the OP is stating "belief" and "feelings", but I don't know why you discredit others in your attempt to comfort the thoughts of such an occurrence of a Super Nova.

"Not a Hope" is probably more on your palate. I respect the fact that you understand the precise processes that Science thinks will happen. It is not so crystal clear as you think, there are factors that are presenting themselves everyday, such as the pluming at the magnetic poles. The expanding gases are not being released uniformly and it seems Magnetics is expressing itself in an all-too "Electric" way.

What ever our Local Fluff is, it is the very thing that most likely caused Betelgeuse to expand in such a way. The interaction of outside forces are apparent everywhere so the "mode" at which a sun lives is no longer predictable. Sorry, I respect your feelings but this thread has lost its steam the moment you discredited others for theirs.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
And afcourse... don't forget that we are seeing Betelgeuse at the moment as it was 650 years ago....

Since Betelgeuse is around 650 lightyears away from us, it takes light from the star 650 years to reach us.

So what if.... the star allready have blown up say around 649 years ago ?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by css1981

Then we will see it soon, of course. But the light delay doesn't cause us to be "off" with our calculations as far as it matters to us; if there's some warning sign that it will go, it won't come any sooner or later just because of the distance. If we're seeing fluctuations that indicate its death, it's not like it will go from looking perfectly healthy to dead----we will see the entire spectrum of its death. No part of its death will reach us faster than its life has.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It is Nibiru.

It will appear.

Visions of a blood red moon appearing abound.

This scientific explanation is lame, as usual. Merely a fail safe.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayura
...This scientific explanation is lame, as usual. Merely a fail safe.

This should be the quote of the year for ATS (so far).

The real answer is lame?

You're right...the fan fiction is a much better story.

Thanks to the OP. You're research is sound. Although...it still could happen tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Had some actually claim that it was all disinformation to create something in the sky that would mask the coming Nibiru. Yep, making a supernova appear on cue is part of TPTB and the ruling Elite and the NWO. Something to hide a coming planet (which has been debunked so much on ATS I'm not even gonna try to list off the reasons). Who knew?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

Thanks for a good laugh! Really!!!

For this to be or block sight of the planet Nibiru, it would mean that Nibiru would be in the same position in our sky as Betelgeuse. But if there was something the size of a planet between us and Betelgeuse, it would block out the star, so no one could study it enough to make a difference.
And anything left over from a supernova would be in the same place as Betelguese right now. And would remain there. So it would come and go in the sky, and not be seen by the sun, which is the usual place people keep putting this imaginery, massless, weightless, invisible planet.

Please, look it up on a planetarium site.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
You misunderstood.

I said the staged supernova is going to be used to explain the sudden appearance of Nibiru. Which is a technological, self propelled, planetoid. Thus, it can easily appear in that sector of the sky... Right on cue, with the other climatic events that are quickly ramping up.

Superbly timed supernova? Sure...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
nevertheless 650LY is relative close in oure backyard...
ofcourse when an sun is dying it will go in stages...
think of oure solar wind and CME's
you can imagine how strong it is at betelgeuse?

last year there were reportings of a cloud of particels..oure solar system is entering evenpushing back the voyager probes to us...
could this be the solarwind of betelgeuse entering oure solarsystem
regarding there are particles faster as light (mu-mesonen for ex,)
and not to mention gravity-shocks ect....
who knows wat type of yet unknown energy's are rejected in such an explosion...

edit on 24-1-2011 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I think yu should fix your title.
The information you correctly (as i see it) provide is about the estimated timelapse for the nova.
In that sense, i agree, we could be waiting for some thousand years...
But the title (and the general tone of your post) implies that Bet WONT go nova . And i think that current analysis point to a Nova in the future. Though a distant one in human terms.
BUT. Even so, it COULD happen right now. It's just very very unlikely.
But that's not a great problem for the universe

Good post. Even if I don't fully agree.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Nice post, i can tell your interested in the pyshics of the universe like myself.

Its pretty obvious that the star is its heavy element stage, if it was in its helium stage it would still be a red giant but nowhere near the mass of supergiant. As observed by the ESO, the star has allready 'puffed' off its outer layers as it enters the final stages of its life burning these heavy elements.

I agree with your post half and half, yes it is currently burning through its heavy elements, and yeah chances we probably wont see it go supernova, but once its finished fusing the heavy elements, when it does start fusing iron, which takes in alot more energy to fuse than it gives out, the star will collapse within seconds. Which could happen any time within a few years, or a thousand years!

But yeah, asking when betelgeuse will explode is like asking how long is a piece of string

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I don't think it'll happen in our life times.but..it does lead me to this question..If scientists know that betelgeuse is 3600 light years from earth.(I think that is the distance if not and someone knows factually the distance please correct..but I think it is 3600).they then know it takes 3600 years for the light we are seeing now to hit our eyes...so..why would scientist say it "could" happen by 2012 and we could see two suns? If it blew up right now..it would take thousands of years for the light to reach us..so..either they know it blew already..or....they are expecting something else to light up the sky that has nothing to do with betelguese they just wanted to prepare people that if something huge does light up the night sky people will be like.."pretty cool..heard dis on da newz" ....lmao.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Nebulous1973

640 light years, and when scientists say anything in terms of stars or far-away planets, they're talking about what we can SEE now, not what's actually happening right now. They're saying BG could go supernova soon, meaning it could have gone supernova a long long time ago (640 years, maybe) and we will see this soon (now that the light has finally reached us). The pictures we see now are of its light as it was about 640 years ago.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Scientists can tell by it's emissions what fuel the star is burning (well was burning 640 years ago anyway). If other detectors show sudden x-ray, neutron, or other high energy particle emissions, they have a good clue that something has happened that won't show in the visible light spectrum for a little while. I haven't looked at the charts yet to see what stage it's in though. So many factors will determine what will happen to it, it could burn out and become a neutron star, go supernova, or if enough mass possible even become a black hole. Size, density, mass, and other factors come into play.

Will it happen in our lifetime? Probably not. Could it happen? Slim, but possible chance.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Betelgeuse was said to have as much as 20 times the mass of our sun, and since 1993 it's been observed to be losing mass rapidly and can be as little as 15 solar masses as we see it now shedding massive amounts of gas. It very irregular and its atmosphere is hard to differentiate from its surface. Its believed to have one or more closely orbiting stars in its gaseous cloud. Its a very unique star system.

Besides we know a star has to be at least 10 times the mass of our sun to go supernova, we can only roughly estimate its mass by the gasses its ejecting through their signatures. No doubt it will become the second brightest light in the night sky when she blows, its already one of the brightest stars in our night sky.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

hell of a post i must say, great research on your part

i do have a question though, betelgeuse is a relatively big star correct one of the brightest in the night sky

what are the chances of it becoming a potential black hole??

also "when" it goes there are very good chances that a neutron star will be left behind which ultimately could become a pulsar that will generate gamma ray bursts for thousands of years to come.

bad fate for earth possibly luckly none of us will be around to see that

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
www.scienceclarified.com...
Says a black hole can be formed from a star as low as 8x the mass of our sun, so it depends on a lot of factors. How much fuel the star has burned, how much is ejected beyond the gravitational field of the star when it goes nova/supernova, how much is dragged back when it collapes, and how fast it collapses. It is possible for it to become a black hole, but the odds depend on all these factors.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

now you know this "staged" supernova can happen anytime in the next millions years right?

so if it doesn't go off now or in 2012 and there is no "nibiru" what will you say then?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus
We've recently had a thread stating that some scientists believe that Betelgeuse is possibly on the verge of going nova.

Keep in mind that if this star is about 640 light years away, whatever we see is something that took place over six hundred years ago.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join