It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police 'sensing crime before it happens'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Police 'sensing crime before it happens'

www.suntimes.com

It was a bit like a scene from “Minority Report,” the 2002 Tom Cruise movie that featured genetically altered humans with special powers to predict crime.

In October, the Chicago Police Department’s new crime-forecasting unit was analyzing 911 calls for service and produced an intelligence report predicting a shooting would happen soon on a particular block on the South Side.

Three minutes later, it did, police officials say.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Not quite sure what to think of this one...

It most certainly DOES sound right out of "Minority Report" and their "pre-crime" units...

Predicting crimes and 'hot spots' BEFORE they actually occur? I notice how they are not disclosing exactly how they are going about doing it, which leads me to believe that the methods may not be the most 'legal', i.e. spying / surveilling wide areas, etc.?

Chicago PD certainly ain't known as being the squeaky-cleanest bunch of folks, so my guess is that there is more than meets the eye to this story...Interesting nonetheless.

www.suntimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I wonder how long they were working on the report before they gave the final word and what was GOING to happen, in relation to when it occured.

If they worked 2 weeks to figure out what's going on and then get the call 3 mins later that's not really going to help. More like wasting police time along with valuable tax payer money.

Chicago doesn't have any to waste either....

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Minority Report indeed.

I understand that police need a kind of "triage" system like hospital ER's have - but they should be transparent and accountable.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Minority report how? Wow, they actually predicted that there would be a shooting in the south side of chicago? CHICAGO. Please. Waste of money even taking time to think that the report has credibility in anything.

Wait, wait, i feel something coming to me now...there will be someone getting mugged in New York. Should I patent this obvious gift that I have?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I just read about the police force in a part of Sweden, they are building a similar system. Sorry that the article is in Swedish, but I guess you can put it through Google translator. The headline says: "The police will soon be able to predict time and place for crimes": www.sydsvenskan.se...
(It is a very reputable newspaper with good credentials)

The article says that some of the parameters they work with is what types of building an area has, the weather, data from previous years, local trends in gangs etc – and the mooncycle (!). They put it all in a computer – and hey presto, appearently.

I've been meaning to start a thread about something similar, but never came around to do it. But here is a link to a pretty interesting company in the Netherlands who has invented something called The Hostile Intent Technology, to spot people before they commit crimes:
www.tno.nl...:09:28.0&Taal=2

They seem to dabble in a lot of interesting areas: health, defence, energy and more... www.tno.nl...

I hope this thread gets flagged a lot, because it could be a great discussion, I think.
edit on 23-1-2011 by pimpinette because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-1-2011 by pimpinette because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I was recently doing some research into one of the military's SRV intelligence gathering projects. In particular, "Project Stargate"..

I found something that is interesting and definately applicable to this thread.

Now, before I post this, keep in mind that project stargate and those like it were conducted in complete secrecy but prove without a doubt that at some point our military took psi-research/parapsychology seriously. Some of the people that have been involved with these programs have since come forward.

In some cases, under these top secret military programs, SRV would be conducted for "domestic applications."

The following is from Wikipedia under the subject "Stargate Project"

Remote Viewing

According to The Ultimate Time Machine by Joseph McMoneagle and Reading the Enemy's Mind: Inside Star Gate America's Psychic Espionage Program by Paul H. Smith, examples of confirmed future targets being sensed by Stargate remote viewers include:

The predicted launch date for a newly constructed submarine months before it actually rolled from its construction crib and into the harbor by Joseph McMoneagle. McMoneagle guessed the submarine would be launched about four months later, sometime in the month of January 1980. Satellite photos confirmed this in mid-January 1980 According to Paul H. Smith, McMoneagle predicted several months in the future.

The predicted release of a hostage in the Middle East and a correct description of the medical problem precipitating his release. The information was provided three weeks before the hostage takers made their decisions.

This conclusion seems to be associated with the following text: "When one of the hostages was released early because of medical conditions and shown the information we [remote-viewers] had accumulated, he was enraged. In his mind, the only way we could possibly had such accurate information, would be to have someone inside the embassy with the hostages..."
The information given by Keith Harary, at SRI, the Stargate Project, was: "He seems to be suffering from nausea. One side of his body seems damaged or hurt. He will be on an airplane in the next few days." The target turned out to be the hostage Richard Queen, held by Iranian militants and now desperately ill with symptoms including muscle weakness, lack of coordination, difficulty in vision, spasticity, vertigo, facial numbness, tremor, and emotional lability, multiple sclerosis, that affected his nerves on one side. In part due to his input, Harary says he was later informed by contacts at SRI, President Carter dispatched a plane to bring Queen home. There is no reference to a three week prediction. There is no mention of the Iran hostage crisis (November 4, 1979 - January 20, 1981) or this incident in the 1984 book, The Mind Race: Understanding and Using Psychic Abilities, by Russell Targ and Keith Harary, which centers around remote viewing experiments and SRI.

Upon reading of the May 17, 1987, attack on the frigate the U.S.S. Stark in The Washington Post, Paul H. Smith became convinced that his remote viewing, three days earlier, of an attack on an American warship, including the location, the method, and the motive, was precognition. The American Warship "viewing" session was around 30 pages long, including writing and sketching of ships, parts of ships, map-like diagrams, etc.

In regards to Domestic Applications of what would become Remote Viewing, various field testings in remote viewing was done in the mid-1970s. In a particular well known serial crime incident, a single lone suspect in question was later captured by law enforcement and put into prison. About twenty years later the original lone suspect changed his confession, and verified almost exactly to what was remote viewed by those domestic remote viewer(s). On the eve of reopening this case, the FBI stepped in, and asked that the case be put on hold. This case has been upgraded to Classified, with no indication at this time that it will be reopened. This noted case has been published and later suggested by name in the movie Suspect Zero.

I am still unsure which serial murder case this is referring to and I have no idea why they don't simply name it if they can tell us it is "suggested by name in the movie Suspect Zero"...

-ChriS
edit on 23-1-2011 by BlasteR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Cell phone "bugs" maybe?

That would require a ton of people cycling through tons of signals and the computers pulling key words. We've known that they can "listen" to a cell phone that is "hung up".

Just a guess?

How many young people remember when you would "hang up a phone" and not "end" it?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by felonius

I agree. Cell phones, text messages, general surveillance could most likely be how they got the tip. More likely than cops just getting a hunch that they could act on. Also predicting a shooting in Chicago should be a fairly safe bet, as has been mentioned. Now if they could predict that my car stereo was going to get stolen and actually prevent it, I would be thoroughly impressed.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
A statistical analysis of the 9-1-1 calls would show the origin and type of call, as well as the frequency for any particular emergency for a particular area.

Then again, as a prior poster put it: "A shooting? In Chicago?" Duh! And I predict that the Sun will rise tomorrow!

That a shooting actually ocurred where it was "predicted" to ocur minutes after the so-called prediction points less to anything as exotic as genetically-engineered "Precogs", and more toward the accuracy of the analysis.

Then again, it's as easy to say that someone will fire a gun in a "war-zone" and be proven correct as it is to predict that the Sun will not only rise, but it will rise in the East, and be spot on.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I'm not spooked just yet

They took a bunch of calls and predicted that there would be another shooting based on there collected intelligence. Would that intelligence include realizing earlier when there was an ongoing gang war? During such times there is a minimum of one body per day, and it's usually more. So my guess is they FINALLY realized that a group of shootings in a specified area are not random and realized that until a truce is called there will be more shootings.

Here's my prediction mid June there will be another war and it will last well into July, there will be 15-20 deaths depending on the exact duration.

Guess what, it's not my psychic ability that told me this it is the fact that as long I have had reason to be out that way that's the way it goes. Now, perhaps they could use their ability to get there (l)'s out there and increase patrols in the summer I may not have to worry as much.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
An even cooler thing would be audio sensors that are tuned to gun frequencies and can triangulate the exact location of a gunshot and cameras automatically turn to that location. Gunshots can be narrowed to exact block giving terrorists a harder chance to escape after they shoot a weapon.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I'm sure these babies will come in handy in yet ANOTHER unconstitutional injunction on our freedoms !

Full-Body Scan Technology Deployed In Street-Roving Vans
As the privacy controversy around full-body security scans begins to simmer, it’s worth noting that courthouses and airport security checkpoints aren’t the only places where backscatter x-ray vision is being deployed. The same technology, capable of seeing through clothes and walls, has also been rolling out on U.S. streets.
blogs.forbes.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

While interesting this is not new. Many departments use this technique, although this is the first time Ihave ever heard it refered to in this manner. When a call comes into 911, its logged (addy, person calling, phone number, details) and the call is classified (robbery, assault, theft, domestic etc).

Officers respond, do there thing, and close the call out with what it actually is (just because a call comes in as a domestic, does not mean its a domestic, same with theft etc).

Traffic citations also are in the system, location of stop in addition to required racial profiling information (race of driver, could you see the race before you stopped the car, type of stop, conclusion of stop - warning, citation, arrest) etc.

All this info is not only sent to the FBI for crime stat reporting, its also used to see trends in crime. In my neck of the woods its called crime analysis, but its the same thing. Using all the info above, departments can find criminal hotspots, and resources can be directed.

As far as a shooting prediction, this is also possible. If the city has a high gang activity / crime problem, you can pinpoint info like this by looking at the info. Traffic stops done in that area, are the people arrested claiming gang affiliation? If they are, are they outside their normal gang territory? Have there been violent assaults / murders in the area, and if so did those people claim gang affiliation?

Its possible to see a pattern in what would normally be looked at as random crimes in a high crime area, and this can be seen on the nightly news. A report comes out that the city of Wherever is reporting 33 homicides for the first half of this year. What the media is not reporting, because they dont know, is of those 33 homicides, 22 are gang related, and of those 22, 18 belong to 2 different gangs who are involved in territory control over drug spots. Of those 18, 9 took place in a 2 block by 3 block radius.... you get the idea.

If a gang member is found dead inside another gangs territory, you will see retaliations, and again that info can be used as well to guess where further retaliations may occur.

Getting it down to a 3minute window I admit is pretty impressive.. It would require the use of crime stats above as well as a very good information flow. Its like the military.. You look at satellites to see where the main body of mvoement is, in addition to using drones to further refine locations, using ellint and humint to futher refine int erms of units involved etc.

Props to Chiacgo on that one, since most departments have a delay between crime analysis, intelligence information flow, and putting all of the info together to draw a picture.
edit on 23-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Well I can see one pattern in your posts.

I predict being in a gang is highly unhealthy!

I don't think I'm happy they predicted a murder, I wish that prediction never came true.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly
reply to post by Xcathdra

Well I can see one pattern in your posts.

I predict being in a gang is highly unhealthy!

I don't think I'm happy they predicted a murder, I wish that prediction never came true.

Lol yeah and in larger cities with multiple gangs, the lifespan is not exactly long or healthy. It can be used with almost any reportable offense that is tracked. I used gangs since its the most common regardless of what country you live in. I can say ive never seen it as accurate as the article describes, but once in a while all the star align in terms of analysis and intelligence.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Getting it down to a 3minute window I admit is pretty impressive..

I would agree with you, but for this particular example, I can't. What you said is interesting for other areas, though. For predicting that a shooting would occur in 3 minutes in the south side of Chicago is like another poster said, like saying that tomorrow the sun will rise in the east. A shooting happens just about every 3 minutes on the south side. In all of those, not every instance will result in someone or something being hit or that it will result in a murder or injury, but there will be shots heard at about that frequency at any given time of day, though more frequently after dark it seems from my experience visiting friends in the area.

I don't know if I like the implication that this is some kind of "Minority Report" type advance in technology, that sounds rather ominous, but if it is just based on data analysis, it would just seem to be smart police work on the police department's behalf. Then again, they know that the likelihood of shots being fired on the south side on a regular basis is a given, though, and didn't need some new advances in technology to tell them that.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The movie itself is very entertaining and educational; even the message of it is that each individual can dictate his/her action.
To think that this kind of things even suggest for real life application is just fking ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I don't think this helps , the policemen are not prophet, maybe they should hire the gypsy to predict crime before it happens.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Glencairn

Maybe I misunderstood the article. I was under the impression that the predicition was another shooting was going to occur in a specific area, and within 3 minutes of that being said, a shooting occured in that area.

I didnt think they predicted a time frame, just the shooting itself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join