It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically modified crops are the key to human survival, says UK's chief scientist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Genetically modified crops are the key to human survival, says UK's chief scientist

www.guardian.co.uk

Moves to block cultivation of genetically modified crops in the developing world can no longer be tolerated on ethical or moral grounds, the government's chief scientist, Sir John Beddington, has warned. He said the world faced "a perfect storm" of issues that could lead to widespread food shortages and public unrest over the next few decades. His warning comes in the wake of food riots in north Africa and rising global concern about mounting food prices.

"A number of very important factors are about to change our world," said Beddington, an expert in population biology. "Its populati
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
This smells like propaganda to me...

Gee, I wonder whether or not this guy is in some way getting PERKS from one of the GMO groups? Seems to often be the case when these mega-corp companies, or "officials" often want to shove an agenda down the throats of the masses, usually in a scam, such as the carbon tax nonsense related to all of the "global warming" scientists, at the onset of THAT scam.

I just love his statement that "the world's population is getting more prosperous and able to pay for more food."

Really? Because that's not what I've been seeing around the world---In fact, I see growing unrest developing from people whose economic situations have deteriorated.

Sounds like the agenda is being pushed yet again, to discredit those groups speaking out against the GMO mega-corps forcing their product upon the world.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I wonder how much money ole Monsanto had to pay for this one, because we all know how they are about this kind of thing. Personally I would think that having crops that can sustain themselves would be far more beneficial in the long run since the developing world is of course developing and not rolling in the money to keep shelling out for hybrid seeds.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
If by human survival he means by allowing the population to be decimated until the ones that are left have everything in abundance and can prosper with ease.. then yeah I guess it is.

For the less fortunate it will just lead to a one time end all famine, until they crack open the seedbanks to start again.
edit on 23-1-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Truth is, new diseases are appearing and jumping species like crazy - even kingdoms. Which means animal diseases are now being spread by plants.

Nobody knows what to do about it, and still make a profit. So TADA. The solution is to make even BIGGER profits - and push the world into GM and GE foods that are designed to be disease-resistant. And of course, design all-new strains when the designer-resistant ones mutate, or the diseases mutate, or whatever. It's a guaranteed infinite market. Kinda like God.

Great solution guys. Cause the problem with your greed; pretend to fix it with more greed.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
more good news i see.

not sure if this is relevant but maybe there's some dots to connect.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Just one look at the photo they stuck with this says it all.
This reeks of propaganda!

What does a looted market have to do with GMO foods.

Oh yes, and lets not forget they throw the "morality" card in too!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Absolutely... if you are a rich psychopath who wants to enslave the human population and reduce the population under 500,000,000 as published on the Georgia Guidestones.

GMO breaks down DNA and cause infertility within three generations of lab animals. link

It killed the cows that ate it in India and crop failures and under-yields have driven 125,000 Indians to commit suicide! ats thread

edit on 23-1-2011 by pianopraze because: fixed link

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

OMG are people still taking this guy seriously? Wasn’t he the guy running around Copenhagen and acting like Chicken Little and yelling “the sky is falling”?

I wish I could remember if he was connected to the email leeks or not. I’d have to go and check. OMG that was so much reading *sigh, I’ll be back when I find out.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I’m sure there was more to it than him just making a statement about the leeks, anyway I didn’t trust him then and certainly don’t trust him now.

Australian science media centre

Prof Sir John Beddington, Government Chief Scientific Advisor, said:

“I welcome that Muir Russell’s review finds the rigour and honesty of UEA scientists to be in no doubt. This is the third review to find no evidence of scientific malpractice at the University. The scientific case that climate change represents a major threat to our world and our societies is clear and compelling.
“The report makes some important points about the need for openness and transparency both for the scientific method and the public perception of science. Science depends on openness and challenge.”

Do you think they will get the mobs on their side with this like they did with “global worming” scam?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I look at the group think in this site and shudder. What if GM foods are really the only realistic way to stem off the coming food crises? Is anything you disagree with propaganda?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Well if your all for glowing green from deep sea fish DNA or have fibers comming out of you then go ahead eat as much GM food as you want. But personally I'm not for it. Only mother nature herself has the right to do that.

!!! Scientific study Links MORGELLONS Disease to GM crops, food !!! ‘Fibres’ contain plant GENES !

Genetically Modified Foods Warning

several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food consumption including infertility, immune dysregulation, accelerated aging, dysregulation of genes associated with cholesterol synthesis, insulin regulation, cell signaling, and protein formation, and changes in the liver, kidney, spleen and gastrointestinal system.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
And all this time I thought that leaving nature the hell alone was the best approach...
Guess I'm just a dummy!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
What a load of crap. GM food is a disaster - we are monkeying with nature and doing serious damage.

Why GM Crops Will Not Feed The World
www.councilforresponsiblegenetics.org...

Most revealing, however, is what the biotech companies have engineered these crops for. Hype notwithstanding, there is not a single GM crop on the market engineered for increased yield, drought-tolerance, salt-tolerance, enhanced nutrition or other attractive-sounding traits touted by the industry. Disease-resistant GM crops are practically non-existent.

Genetically Modified Crops Threaten Traditional Farming
hubpages.com...

A variety of cultivated plants increases nutritional food sources. Plant diversity prevents famine. If one type of plant is lost to disease, a population can depend on the healthy, remaining crops for food.

Farmers have traditionally saved seed and developed new crop varieties ensuring sustainability, plant diversity and fiscal responsibility. Yet these time-honored practices are being threatened by a small group of powerful corporations.

Hybrid and genetically modified crops are replacing diversification through large-scale operations. In 2008, 80% of American corn, 86% of its cotton and 92% of soybean products were genetically modified varieties.
edit on 24-1-2011 by ns9504 because: oops - didn't include full copy

top topics

join