It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Domestic use of aerial drones by law enforcement likely to prompt privacy debate

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
Predator drones have been in active service along the border with Canada here in Michigan for over 6 years now. However, I can see how it's cheaper for patrol along the great lakes(as opposed to using boats). I don't think cops need anything of the sort though. What is most odd is the FAA saying they regulate this? No one needs a permit to fly a RC plane or helicopter...so why would local LE need approval?

It depends on what you're doing with the RC. If you are using it for arial photography for profit it is not allowed without doing all the paperwork and getting a permit thru the FAA. More restrictions are coming in 2013 for drone/uav's/rc's. The American Modelers Assoc. has been fighting the FAA over this for a long time and it's been a very gray area, but a few have had their bussinesses and websites for arial photography shut down by the FAA. I believe the AMA and FAA are going to the tables soon for a resolution. I've been out of the RC loop for a yr, so I need to do some reading to catch up. I was going to start a bussiness doing arial photos via RC until I researched the logistics, it's a major PIA.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
they better not get in the way of a laser.

the whole blind pilot excuse isnt going to cut it.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Drones are just for getting details that the satellites can't get because of parallax perspective.

www.journalofvision.org...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

you can run but you can't hide

edit on 23-1-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Personally, I feel if these are used in an unconstitutional way and begin trespassing over private property, that people would be within their rights to shoot them down..

I'm not saying that would necessarily be the smartest option, but I do think it will happen if these things begin to proliferate above peoples homes and residential areas...guaranteed..

Another option would be finding their operating RF freqs. and jamming them so they crash...
edit on 23-1-2011 by alienreality because: eta

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

Haha, what an idea, shoot them down if you see it over your property!! I guess at 400ft it is possible to take a couple of sniper shots at a wing or tail to bring it down. Would they even be able to figure out who shot at it? There's no doubt that as soon as it crash landed an army of black suvs would show up asap.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
reply to post by alienreality

Haha, what an idea, shoot them down if you see it over your property!! I guess at 400ft it is possible to take a couple of sniper shots at a wing or tail to bring it down. Would they even be able to figure out who shot at it? There's no doubt that as soon as it crash landed an army of black suvs would show up asap.

If you presented a heat signature with yourself or weapon they just might. Also a good possibility of you leaving in one of those blk SUV's. That could be an expensive day at the shooting range....PULL!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
S&F

My friends, no need to get excited just build a few of your own and hide it away from your house.

DIY Drones

so... no need for a warrant to spy on you,huh? the mask is truly slipping off these creatures

Only a matter of time before we start hearing about true patriots to the constitution who start shooting these God damned things out of the sky. How much do these drones cost??? I'll bet ammo is cheaper than drones........for now!!!

they better not get in the way of a laser. the whole blind pilot excuse isnt going to cut it.

I see you two understand the principal of the lever

happy to see potential 4G warriors here.
more on 4G warfare here: globalguerrillas.typepad.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

As far as the weaponizing of drones for civilian law enforcement. I highly doubt any local governing body would permit that, for everyday use. Yes, there are armed robots, however they are only used in specialized situations such as in a hostage crisis.

I find it interesting that you think any local governing body has any say-so in these matters at all. With the infusion of DHS into law enforcement since 9/11, are you being realistic?

Wire tapping, illegal surveillance, torture, rendition, hits, there are no limits since the "Patriot Act".

You think the rules only apply to Muslims nowadays?

edit on 23-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

Of course I was referring to the Police Departments and Sheriff's Departments, whose budgets and policies are controlled by their city and county governments, respectively. These are the agencies who seemed to be garnering the most attention in this thread.

But, thanks for calling me out to clarify my position.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
We've got government employees basically molesting people on the 1 in a zillion chance somebody has a bomb. I don't think that we're likely to win this fight.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join