It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's new stealth fighter uses US tech.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

China's new stealth fighter uses US tech.

news.yahoo.com

Chinese officials recently unveiled a new, high-tech stealth fighter that could pose a significant threat to American air superiority — and some of its technology, it turns out, may well have come from the U.S. itself.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 23/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

edit on 23/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Well thats a Nice move from China, Using US technology to gain sky Superiority.

http://______/story/346/337/New_Chinese_stealth_fighter_poses_major_challenge_to_US_military.html

The only real challenge to the J-20 on the US side is the F-22, developed by Lockheed Martin, but in 2009 production of this aircraft was capped by congress at 18, and instead the air force relies on its cheaper F-35s.

However, even the F-22 is bested by the Chinese Chengdu J-20, which can reportedly evade radar and exceed the F-22 in speed and agility.

“From what we can see, I conclude that this aircraft does have great potential to be superior in some respects to the American F-22, and could be decisively superior to the F-35,” said Richard Fisher, a senior fellow on Asian Military Affairs at the Washington think tank, the International Assessment and Strategy Center.

Fisher told Fox News that the US would likely see China rolling out their new aircraft in serious numbers by the end of the decade, adding that the Chinese military has begun an extensive pilot training program, while the US has decreased flight time for new pilots, focusing instead on simulators.

“We used be number one at having the leading technology,” said Buckley. “Now, we’re kind of in catch-up mode, where we’ve never really been before.”

Then again Good on them for Advancing the technology itself, But still, I call Bad form!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I am still willing to bet that the US has some crazy weird stealth aircraft that are exotic beyond beneath.

Didnt Ben Rich imply that they had some unbelievable stuff capable of taking ET home?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I can't help but wonder if this is the outcome of China's holding of one of our spy planes several years back. The pilot had to make an emergency landing in China, and they stripped the plane before giving back to the US with the pilot. I don't know if anyone remembers that, but I bet thats how they got a lot of their "new" tech.
edit on 23-1-2011 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Lawl....

Let's wake up folks. Money is the only thing without national boundaries.

Coincidence that Obama was just in China encouraging export to the US?

Scratched backs it seems.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
In nine years of R&D, plus the sophisticated weapons systems which the US now deploys.I doubt that the J20 will be the decisive aircraft that the chinese intend it to be.
It has been patently obvious that this fighter would be partly based on US technology, since the chinese compromised the computer systems of several sub contractors working on the F35.and even the raptor probably.....
The cyber spying china has engaged in, against the west, is i believe the most extensive bit of hacking to date in the cyber war thats been unofficially going on for longer than the US cares to admit.
Between this, and the active industrial espionage which china also engages in,as well as back engineering of systems, and production of copycat devices without regard for international ageements or patents,seems to be working to upgrade chinas capabilities in many fields besides warcraft.
We seem to be stuck in hypocratic limbo,unable to get with the program of ripping off any and all technology that others developed,and unable to secure our own sensitive data.
This mind set is going to be paid for dearly over the next few years.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Darkblade, I had thought the very same thing.

China got a chance for some good old industrial espionage, and have put it to good work.

They have a lack of pilots that's the only thing they are missing.

If China really wanted to, they could mass produce these things tomorrow,not by the end of the decade.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I call BS and Chinese propoganda on this article. The F22 has been in development for longer than the concept of the J20 has even been around. Were does the info regaurding the J20's capabilites come from? Let me guess, a Chinese source.

PROPOGANDA at its best.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I remember a few years back there being a story about them stealing the plans for the f-22 or f-35 I don't remember which.
The Chinese have been borrowing & reverse engineering our consumer electronics technology for years now so it stands to reason they'd be good at doing the same with our military technology. Also, with the amount of money China currently possesses who is surprised they can afford to drop tons of money in research and development to catch up or even surpass us technologically? They've got 1000's of scientists who have been trained & working in our country for years, they can afford to buy any technology they don't currently possess, we live in an unprecedented time of knowledge sharing due to the internet & they're making the transition from emerging power to super power. I fail to see how anyone is shocked that this has happened.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Hardly surprising, given the history of espionage and what not..

But, for parity, bear in mind that the much vaunted F-22 uses systems built by BAe and the Abrams is repleat with "foreign" tech. What goes around, comes around, I suppose.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

We've discarded more technologically advanced designs from several decades ago than they are presently testing...

YF-23
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d0eab6de5f35.jpg[/atsimg]

The YF-22 and YF-23 were competing in the USAF's Advanced Tactical Fighter (ATF) program, conceived in the early 1980s, to provide a replacement for the F-15 Eagle. Contracts for the two most promising designs were awarded in 1986.[1]

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
America's military-industrial-congressional complex needs to have a tech-savvy enemy otherwise they don't have a viable reason to build such ridiculously expensive planes.

Think about it: Iraq is bombed out and has no army or air force. Afghanistan is still in the iron-age. No planes have really been shot down. Maybe helicopters, but not bombers or fighters. Not even transport planes like the C-130 or C-17 have been shot down, so what does that tell you?

In such a low-tech hostile environment, it is hard to justify the cost of the F-22 and the F-35 when what we have is working just fine. The F-18, the A-10, and the F-117 are fine instruments of war and no one can really top them.

Heck, we could bring back the F-4 in Iraq and Afganistan and probably be fine.

With the economy in shambles, military contractors can no longer build planned obsolescence into their products. And with Defense Secretary Robert Gates trying to cut the Pentagon budget, the F-22 and F-35 are even more at risk.

But Gates is getting ready to retire. And all of a sudden the Chinese have a stealth fighter? And it might be based on F-177 technology?

Sounds like a plot to force the American tax payer to pay for all those F22 and F-35s after all. I wouldn't be suprised if companies like Northrop-Grumman, Lockheed-Martin, Boeing, and others didn't leak stealth technology to the Chinese in the first place to kick-start a new high-tech arms race.

Just watch the contracts that get awarded.

- mike

edit on 23-1-2011 by subversivemike because: added text

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker
The F22 has been in development for longer than the concept of the J20 has even been around.

Let's be honest here, development of US fighter technology takes so long due to a lethal combination of bureaucratic BS & corporate greed. The new generation of fighters has easily taken twice as long as it should have & what's come out of that protracted process is the grossly overpriced turd known as the F-35.

China's development of the J20 I'm sure has been streamlined due to lack of govt regulation & oversight/meddling, stolen US technology & paid for Russian assistance.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by subversivemike

Always need a boogie man. Love your analysis of the situation.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ethancoop

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker
The F22 has been in development for longer than the concept of the J20 has even been around.

Let's be honest here, development of US fighter technology takes so long due to a lethal combination of bureaucratic BS & corporate greed. The new generation of fighters has easily taken twice as long as it should have & what's come out of that protracted process is the grossly overpriced turd known as the F-35.

China's development of the J20 I'm sure has been streamlined due to lack of govt regulation & oversight/meddling, stolen US technology & paid for Russian assistance.

There's some truth to that. But lets be honest, the USAF has the most actual combat experience of any air force in the world which also contributed to such a lengthy development. Also, the F22 has been designed for three different roles. One for the navy, one for marines, and one for the airforce each with their own special abilites suited to those oraganizations needs. The F22 can have its hardware manipulated into any of those rolls. Its not a one trick pony like the J20.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

You're thinking of the F-35 not the F-22. Also the old adage "Jack-of-all-trades, master of none" rings very true in fighter design. For a practical, historical study in the failure of multi-role, cross service fighters see the F-111.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Everything old is new again.

The 1940s was a very, very busy decade. For instance, July 7th 1947 was the first flight of the British Rolls-Royce Nene jet-engine. It just happens to be installed in a Russian fighter jet referred to as the MiG-15. The Rolls-Royce engine was “gifted” to Russia with the Queen’s blessing because at the time.. Britain was strapped for cash and Prime Minister Atlee was a liberal so historians won’t be recording this event as an un-American affair and a technology transfer to a cold-war enemy.

I got that quote from:
www.enterprisecorruption.com...
Speaks volumes about what really goes on behind the scenes in this world.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
There have been rumors for a while that China was developing a stealth 4th generation fighter. Does anybody have proof or evidence that this craft of theirs has thrust vectoring? Making it truly a fifth generation fighter?

ETA:

LONDON (AFP) Dec 10, 2002

China begins stealth fighter project: report

China is developing a "heavyweight" fighter aircraft with stealth characteristics, the current issue of Jane's Defence Weekly reported Tuesday, citing a senior Chinese aviation source.

Shenyang Aircraft Co. has been selected to head research and development of the fourth-generation fighter, the industry news magazine said, quoting the source from the China Aviation Industry Corp. I.

The development of engines and weapon sub-systems for the fighter -- tentatively dubbed the J-X, and with some of the design traits of the stealthy US F/A-22 warplane -- has been underway for some time.

edit on 23-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ethancoop
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

You're thinking of the F-35 not the F-22. Also the old adage "Jack-of-all-trades, master of none" rings very true in fighter design. For a practical, historical study in the failure of multi-role, cross service fighters see the F-111.

Ooops my mistake, thanks for the correction.

One of the reasons given for the lengthy development of the F35 was to avoid the same problems that occured with other multi-roll aircraft. I believe the biggest issue was making sure each variation was superior in that roll while still allowing the harware to be interchangeable between the other 2 variations. What they have finally come up with is not a plane that does it all-in-one but is able to be modified easily to fill any roll they need. This plane is either the navy, marine, or air force variation and not a multi-role fighter like the F111 was.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

damn good info there. thanks.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join