It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Police and their NEW sports car ..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Just a quick post regarding the new Police car for the West Midlands police ( i travel up and down their motorways so i will give it a run for it's money someday)....

In these days of Austerity and saving money on public sector budgets I thought I would share this snippet of information..

www.topgear.com...

West Midlands police get Lotus Evora

£50,000 ($91,000) is the value of the new lotus evora now at the disposal of the West Midlands Police. They will use it to patrol the highways......... what a laugh !! will make good TV on Police camera action programmes....

Cheers
PDUK
edit on 23-1-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
And they are cutting police jobs too! Something is clearly wrong! we need more cops on the beat. we could have done a deal with other car makers and got two decent cars for the price of one and tuned them for better acceleration.

For example what about Astras don't they now come with a ten year warranty??

Sheesh
edit on 23-1-2011 by tiger5 because: add a bit

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

with all the fast cars over there of course police need to go just as fast if not faster...

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

One one hand, "what they hell they buying luxury sports cars for!!!!"

on the other hand, this thing will probably pay for itself in tickets within the year...lol

Something about this makes me want to buy a land rover and take the guy driving that thing on a nice back-country chase....lol

also, where the hell does that guy put someone if he needs to arrest them?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
That there is a very nice ride, lol. Unnecessary, but nice. I bet many people will give this thing a run for it's money.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Looks really cool!!

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
West Midlands Police did not buy the car, people.

West Midlands Police get 168mph Lotus Evora supercar

Lotus has loaned the sports car to the CMPG for the next two weeks.

Nonstory.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

oh , sorry

memo to self, ''must try harder!!'

Shame your link shows the incorrect picture !!

regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
If they were serious about this surely they could come up with something better than just a faster police car ?
Civilans dont need to travel at over 70 mph (uk motorway speed limit ) so why not put a limit on the cars speed ? or if not cant they develop a device that for instance brings a stolen car to a gradual halt safely .
We can get a man on the moon allegedly but cant stop people speeding ?
just some humble thoughts .

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Great thread, I am from the uk and know just how tight things are over here. the people are skint. I guess the Lotus will be cheap to fill up?

Still it could be worse Check out the police car the Russians have been handed.

bugatticarpictures.blogspot.com...

Regards

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Just to add that this is AWESOME!!!

Seriously, I wish all cars were required to look cool. And its for education! Think of the kids!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

oh , sorry

memo to self, ''must try harder!!'

Shame your link shows the incorrect picture !!

regards

PDUK

Page 1 of the article shows the current Lotus police car. The picture on page 2, which my link above is to, is of the Lotus police car Midlands Police had in 1994. You really like to "jump the gun", don't you?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGhostViking
If they were serious about this surely they could come up with something better than just a faster police car ?
Civilans dont need to travel at over 70 mph (uk motorway speed limit ) so why not put a limit on the cars speed ? or if not cant they develop a device that for instance brings a stolen car to a gradual halt safely .

So your asking to further restrict freedoms? People whine about speeders alot but in reality it tends to be the ones who are habbitual speeders that are the better drivers. Most accidents are not cause by speed but by people drinking alcohol. So should we try an alcohol ban? Didn't work so well in the US. Why should police who for the most part are not as good drivers as those who speed for a hobby, be given the ability to super speed and cause wrecks or further endanger the public by not just having one vehicle speeding but now 2 or more?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGhostViking

Occassionally people need a burst of speed to get them out of trouble. Putting a limit on a car's speed is a stupid idea.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

Because drink drivers in the UK will get a 12-24 month driving ban, a super huge fine and run the risk of several months in HM Butlins hotel, soap on a rope the works.

Nice car btw, shame it isn't the Bugatti Veyron, now that would be something.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Yes

Well noticed

Cheers
PDUK

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

yh its a stupid idea to you but the police using a lotus how is that going to help ? surely the criminals wil just use faster cars ? I dont know if you know this but criminals try to stay a step ahead of the police otherwise they get caught I would have thought . funny that "innit ".

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I think this is more of a publicity and deterrent by the WMP than actually a 'useable' vehicle......

As someone already said, if you arrest someone then where are they going to sit because the only spare seat will have some doughnuts on it !!

Even so, when I'm on the M6 next week i shall keep my eyes open and look out............ I would have thought that this car might act as a 'challenge'' to some !!

PDUK

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Why should police who for the most part are not as good drivers as those who speed for a hobby, be given the ability to super speed and cause wrecks or further endanger the public by not just having one vehicle speeding but now 2 or more?
I agree , as my post above says it is stupid .
and if alcohol didnt exsist the world would have been a nicer place but i dont drink so i dont defend these people .
ps prohibition didnt turn out well but thats because humans have become addicted to alcohol again not my choice of life but thats how it is . theres nothing with a drink but when it changes behaviour its a problem

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

Because drink drivers in the UK will get a 12-24 month driving ban, a super huge fine and run the risk of several months in HM Butlins hotel, soap on a rope the works.

Nice car btw, shame it isn't the Bugatti Veyron, now that would be something.

All fair and well saying that drink drivers in the UK get a 12-24 month driving ban, huge fine and custodial sentance, but this very rarely happens. The average person gets a fine of a couple of hundred pounds at the most and a years driving ban. If you hadn't noticed this doesn't stop them in the first instance or repeat offending. Plus if it's anybody famous who could afford a private driver for during their ban they just get a fine and told not to do it again.

As far as wasting the money on such a fast car whats the point because it will just make the speeders drive faster to try and avoid them. We need to work on crime prevention because the lack of bobbies on the beat is a joke.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join