It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk about! Religion and Skepticism! #1 Creation and Evolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Greetings everyone! This is the good, bad, and the ugly user better known as Sectumsempra. I'm going to start a series of mine where we discuss anything that goes under the faith and skeptic umbrella. In another thread of mine Madnessinmysoul (I hope I got your user name correct) made me realize it would be great to discuss religion from different points of views. Now since I'm starting this thread/series does not mean I own it and anyone can copy my thread and use it! I would like to start off with discussing creation and evolution. How the two beliefs can be very different and yet support one another. Since I got interested in Judaism and converted I believe in the view points of the creation story in Genesis in the Hebrew bible. I have to admit I do support a lot of what evolution has to offer at the table. Before I decided on Judaism I was an Atheist, evolutionist, and a skeptic. Reading Charles Darwin book on Natural Selection will always be one of my favorites. I have to agree with his views on adaption and survival of the fittest. I recall G-d telling Adam that he must take care of the various creations of G-d on the Earth. Which I believe humans must strive to take care of our fragile Eco system. This planet has so many surprises I never knew that the many different species of ants and individually species are special in their own right. How ever you define the word - miracle - you can agree we still have the entire world to explore and be amazed by her wonders. Maybe you're like me, maybe not. What are your thoughts about my views, both creation and evolution, your beliefs and your skepticism.

Ask Rabbi: Creation VS. Evolution
Judaism And Evolution

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
how can you take a step backwards and convert to judaism. i think you were a Christian, since most people who claim to be atheist were Christians.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

You're correct on that! Before I was an Atheist I was a hardcore Christian believer. I lost my faith due to my depression in my teen years. I still respect both Christianity and Atheism.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I also respect religion for some of it's moral teachings, as well as spiritual guidance. However I don't agree with many of the things like oppression, violence justified by the teachings, etc. I believe in a God, and I was raised Christian. However I've strayed more from the Biblical teachings; because I find way too many double standards. How God is supposedly omni-everything and yet would allow billions of souls to even have hell as an option. Do things like kill babies because it's apparently justice. The logic is disastrous. I believe in nothing but love. If I were a loving creator, the last thing I'd think of is creating a place of eternal suffering for anyone who disobeys.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
personally i just dont see how one can believe in the christian god. i am very skeptical on the whole religion thing because the more and more i read about evolution and aliens being here thousands of years ago just makes me believe that we were just part of their DNA and we have interpreted what they meant as aliens or gods as something else. if you look at it this way. the ancients had no words to describe aliens like we do today. i think they just seen aliens and to them in their eyes the aliens were perfect in every way imaginable and so they called them gods. also you have to look at how many time the bible has been written over and over throughout man-kind in order to favor one religion over another or to have the mass public go in a certain kings favor. i dont know. thats just my opinion lol

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sectumsempra
reply to post by randomname

You're correct on that! Before I was an Atheist I was a hardcore Christian believer. I lost my faith due to my depression in my teen years. I still respect both Christianity and Atheism.

As he said these things, he called out, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear!"
Then his disciples asked him, "What does this parable mean?"
He said, "To you it is given to know the mysteries of the Kingdom of God, but to the rest in parables; that ‘seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.’
Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

Those along the road are those who hear, then the devil comes,
and takes away the word from their heart, that they may not believe and be saved.

Those on the rock are they who, when they hear, receive the word with joy
but these have no root, who believe for a while, then fall away in time of temptation.

That which fell among the thorns, these are those who have heard,
and as they go on their way they are choked with cares, riches,
and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity.

That in the good ground, these are such as in an honest and good heart,
having heard the word, hold it tightly, and bring forth fruit with patience.

edit on 22-1-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Guys let's keep this thread about creation and evolution. Messenger me if you want to chit chat about my past.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rsronce9

I guess that makes sense! I believe in the Jewish nature of G-d; not the Christian view on G-d.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Another problem I have with Christianity is that it makes many attempts to make itself "fool-proof". For example, one of the things a Christian will say if you mention aliens or anything of the like, is that the aliens are a PLOY by satan himself. Basically anything that is contrary to the religious doctrine is immediately labeled a trick by satan. Even if an alien came down right now and offered to take a bunch of us to different planets in the galaxy, a Christian would probably say it's satan in disguise trying to trick us... It's almost impossible to disprove the statement because it exist under nearly any circumstance. I guess the only way to disprove Christianity is if we found out there were aliens living all throughout the galaxy/universe.

Another thing is when you bring up the fact that the Bible was written by humans, they'll say "Yes but it was inspired directly by God himself." Yes, and the HUMAN is saying that. That's like if I were to write my own book right now, and then say nobody can say it's fiction because God or an alien talked to me directly and told me what to wrote... yea that isn't how it works lol.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Sectumsempra

im not real familiar with the jewish god and that stuff. so if you wouldnt mind explaining the difference id like to hear it lol..

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

lol i 100% agree with you on this. i hate that argument bc they are so closed-minded about it

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I agree with you about oppression and the rest, but why would the bible be all about good things when the truth is there are alot of bad things in this world and in the past aswell. Maybe these are the types of things the people of that time had to go through and that was their way of explaining it. Maybe its not, hey I disagree with whats written in the bible, and its, Hey this is what we had to put up with in our time whether you agree or not.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

That which fell among the thorns, these are those who have heard,
and as they go on their way they are choked with cares, riches,
and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity.
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Wow, that describes me to a T. (Not that I am a Christian, but other traditions have very similar parables)

Thanks for the reminder.

As for the subject of creation/evolution, I believe in both.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I fully support the theory of evolution. The evidence that backs it up is completely astounding. I don't know how anyone can try and refute it. It is on a par with germ theory and relativity in terms of credibility

I don't believe in creationism however. I don't know what created the universe, but neither does anyone else. I highly doubt that what happened was similar to what was written in the bible because it has a few flaws in it.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

the aliens are a PLOY by satan himself.

LOL! You act as if there is no scriptural basis for the claim.

"And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, just as iron is not mixed with clay." Dan 2:43

The Watcher Files

UFOs and the Bible - Chuck Missler 1/12

"and with all the deceit of unrighteousness in those who perish, because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie, that they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." ~ 2 Thessalonians 2:10

edit on 23-1-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I have always liked Bullinger's view:

Man starts from nothing. He begins in helplessness, ignorance, and inexperience. All his works, therefore, proceed on the principle of evolution. This principle is seen only in human affairs: from the hut to the palace; from the canoe to the ocean liner; from the spade and ploughshare to machines for drilling, reaping, and binding, &c. But the birds build their nests to-day as at the beginning. The moment we pass the boundary line, and enter the Divine sphere, no trace or vestige of evolution is seen. There is growth and development within, but no passing, change, or evolution out from one into another. On the other hand, all God's works are perfect. -Companion Bible, Ap 5

new topics

top topics

join