It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We Heading Toward A Black Hole?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

space actually scares me but for some reason i like to learn about it. thanks for adding that.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This Video has always impressed me.

It is observations of the motion of stars close to the black hole at the center of our galaxy. You can actually see the stars whipping around the black hole as they orbit the strong gravity well. Fortunately for us we are orbiting the galaxy on a path that will not bring us near this black hole for many billions of years.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I wonder if every galaxy is already in a super massive blackhole called the universe and maybe our universe is whats left of a massive star which collapses and became a black hole. lol, these things do get you thinking some random sh*t..

edit on 23-1-2011 by Redevilfan09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpunGCake
reply to post by Redevilfan09

well whos to say it hasent been a very long time already? and to ur question about wouldnt a black hole suck everything up in the milky way? No not if its in hybernation. they do go dorment for long periods of time from what ive learned. but any how thanks for humoring me with my first posted topic.

I am not sure where you have done your learning on this subject, but of course Black Holes do not "go dormant"...any more than the Earth, as a celestial object, turns on and off in some way. It is what it is...on an on-going basis. And, certainly, the gravitational effects of a Black Hole are "always on" as well.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
26,400±1,600 light years would be the most current distance used for our solar systems distance from galactic center. I'd say we have a little time yet before there is need for concern.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

Dont be so quick with that certainty, friend. We are still learning about these things

NASA link 1 (Black Hole Heartbeat)
More In-Depth Article

edit on 23-1-2011 by sinohptik because: super link fix!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mobiusmale

I am not sure where you have done your learning on this subject, but of course Black Holes do not "go dormant"...any more than the Earth, as a celestial object, turns on and off in some way. It is what it is...on an on-going basis. And, certainly, the gravitational effects of a Black Hole are "always on" as well.

Actually according to the current data, yes they do. The the usage of the word dormant is usually applied to a non feeding black hole. Even a super massive black hole's gravitational effect can be balanced out.

No matter=no feeding=no growth=dormant.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Oh, yeah, there IS a black hole in the center of ALL galaxies, they know this because they have been monitoring x-ray emissions from that region, and have seen evidence of stars moving in TIGHT orbits around a virtual NON-THING... lol, something that has no Electro Magnetic emissions of any kind.

And no, we are not moving toward the Black hole, and even if we were, it would take millions, if not billions of years, barring some sort of planetary Warp drive or hyperspace... Dare I say it... PLAD????

LOL

Excellent.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noncompatible

Originally posted by mobiusmale

Actually according to the current data, yes they do. The the usage of the word dormant is usually applied to a non feeding black hole. Even a super massive black hole's gravitational effect can be balanced out.

No matter=no feeding=no growth=dormant.

A Black Hole would be "non-feeding" if there was nothing in its vacinity on which it can feed. It does not mean that the gravitational effects have been balanced out by something. As a previous poster noted, we are still learning things about the cycles associated with the feeding process - exactly how things get gobbled up, and the exchanges of matter and energy, but the Black Hole itself does not become "dormant", in the sense that it turns off and on.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Being on the outer arm of our galaxy I would imagine even if we were it would be a long time before it became a problem, by which time man, if we haven't destroyed ourselves, will be habiting other worlds.

In the meantime, your thread reminded me of this song.......

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
You have a lot to learn, heh heh, that's not a bad thing though. The earth and moon spin around the sun, the sun spins around the galactic center, what some believe to be a black hole... The spin isn't like a real full circle though, they are spinning inward toward each other, our planet and the sun, the sun and the black hole. It'll be a long time coming though, and it's not likely we will be here for either event.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
we all knew what you meant. Pitty everybody jumps all over ya, instead of commenting on ur post...who knows what will happen...I know this,man isnt in controle of destiny on this planet....just live free

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Suppose the earth were consumed by a black hole. Would the earth and everything in it immediately be reduced to the size of a hazelnut? Or completely crushed into nothingness. I hope it would be quick. Not even time to realize what had happened.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Could be. That's the kind of doom I don't worry about

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

edit on 23-1-2011 by GirlGenius because: dbl

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
You guys might know how one dies during the process of being sucked into a black hole, lol, however, I didn't.

I do now. It ain't pretty.

This is a link to Neil Degrasse Tyson explaining it, and he's very humorous in his considerations.
fora.tv...

Essentially, he says that as you enter into the black hole, you will stretch until you snap into two pieces, then four, eight, sixteen, until you become a stream of atoms. Scientists call this "spaghettification". Seriously. lol.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

i thought they find black holes by the fast moving orbits of stars around the black hole?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SpunGCake

You are getting so many wrong info replies (one even said there were "lots" of black holes in our immediate neighborhood??).

Here....this should get a lot of questions explained:

blackholes.stardate.org...

The closest black holes yet discovered are several thousand light-years away. They are so far that they have no effect on Earth or its environment.

So,. short answer, no. NOT heading toward a black hole. Not in any of our lifetimes.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Here is some information on the Mayan ball game. Some suggest that this game symbolizes the Galactic Alignment,black hole and word tree. I have heard during this time,evil forces may be allowed to enter if things don't work out so well during this time.

The American Ballgame

Some have described the contents of the dark-rift as both an underworld and a place of cosmic creation. John Major Jenkins describes the place as a nexus between life and death. It is the point of connection between the earth and the top of the World Tree, the place shaman kings would go to meet the divine. Here in the rift lives Hunab Ku, translated ‘the only living and true god.’ We also have a name for this place of birth and death, this point in the sky. We call it Sagittarius-A, the black hole at the center of our galaxy.

As the night progresses, the crocodile canoe of the Milky Way begins to tip, as if dipping below the surface of the primordial sea. Just before the dawn the white road is vertical, and has become the World Tree, the Milky Way ‘trunk’ and the ecliptic ‘branches,’ the line of planets and the zodiac, making a perfect cross linking the earth at the horizon with the center of the cosmos. The three hearth stones, the stars Alnitak, Saiph and Rigel in Orion, have positioned themselves at the zenith. These stars, the three creation stones, are represented by three hearthstones in the Mayan home. The fire is the Great Orion Nebula, known to astronomers as M42 and surrounded by the ‘stones.’ The Aztec name for the three Orion belt stars was the same word for the fire-starter drill. The sac of corn seeds are the Pleiades, birthplace of the Mayan people. The Aztecs saw the nearby Gemini stars as a celestial ball court, where First Father waited until his rebirth.
www.witzmountain.com...

Like the Movie The Matrix, The Mayan Ball game is an allegory, of the real human situation.

The connection to the Moon Matrix and The Mayan Ball game is that the Mayans, who were astronomers, knew the Moon Matrix was responsible for "the game of life" . Everything was centered around the moon and the human situation in this game.
Previous players skulls were placed inside the ball, representing the souls inside the hollow moon matrix. The ball was in the form of the moon with craters on it. The court that it was played in was based on lunar mathematics.
Like the Movie The Matrix, The Mayan Ball game is an allegory, of the real human situation.

www.davidicke.com...

It's all speculation,but interesting none the less.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I wouldn't trust anything said by Icke. He's a con man. He's the one claiming the royal family is a bunch of reptilian shape shifters. Oh, brother.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join