It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We Heading Toward A Black Hole?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well this will be my first topic i have posted just something that poped in my head after the years i been watching the discovery channel. Ok so as this 2012 thing has been in the media for awhile now. i have noticed on discovery channel there were sayen our planet was venturing tword the middle of our Milky Way. Well in my mind its only logical to think that there is a black hole there. i havent done any research or anything but im pretty observant and well this would realy suck right. Guess i was just giving you all somthing to think about.

Peace

oh and if this in wrong spot i dont know what im doing sorry
edit on 22-1-2011 by SpunGCake because: (no reason given)

edit on 22/1/2011 by Sauron because: All caps in title

i ment galaxy

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Yes. Doom on.
The date isn't really that far away.. it seems a bit of a stretch for us to just ride up on something like that without seeing it coming.
Then again maybe the government is obscuring our vision with chemtrails
And fabricating the sky with "company" satellites
Anything is possible
edit on 22-1-2011 by VividFiction because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
um, the sun is in the middle of our solar system, hence the name solar system. solar=sun, there is supposed to be a super massive black hole in the center of the milky way though, but I'm not sure if we will be engulfed by it, at least not for a very long time anyway

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SpunGCake

Technically we ARE heading for a black hole if you are talking about the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
um, the sun is in the middle of our solar system, hence the name solar system. solar=sun, there is supposed to be a super massive black hole in the center of the milky way though, but I'm not sure if we will be engulfed by it, at least not for a very long time anyway

thats what i ment we are venturing tword the middle of the galaxy thanks for catching that i should have made a ruff draft but i really shouldnt have even written this scary crap.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
A black hole in the middle of our solar system?
Where does that put our sun? Inside it?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

To clarify moving to the center of our solar system...as in the sun? Or did you mean moving toward the galactic center? Its possible there is one at the center of the galaxy by many modern therorists.....whatever is in there is damn dense.... alot of the material is expelled out the quazars(shooting out the axis of spin). they say anything we see is outside the pull of the blackhole at the center. they concider the galaxy as a result of the blackhole presence....so ultimately its good if it is there....if we are going into it, its the reason we are here, ill just go along with it and assume the blackhole might not be an end anyway....we just shoot up the quazar and make another planet type thing somewhere else lol

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ShAuNmAn-X

Great now I need to listen to Muse thanks a lot! Anyways as to the fact of the matter this has been discussed a lot, and it is true there is a black hole in our Galaxy, whether or not we are heading for it is another matter.
edit on 22-1-2011 by Golithion because: That it I am blaming everything on dyslexia from now on,...Or temporary brain farts.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
i changed and put what i actually ment like i said i put solar system when i men center of galaxy!!!
sorry for that..

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

When you think of 2012 these are a couple of the usual suspects.

- Earth is going to pass by the galactic plane

- The Sun is going to align with the centre of the galaxy

Now about your black hole, yes from what we are taught there is a black hole in the centre of the galaxy, but the question is - does everything in the milky way eventually get sucked into the black hole? Because that would answer your question straight away, as our solar system is apparently closer to the edge of the galaxy. I like to think of the milky way like you just pulled the plug out of your sink and all the water drained away, its a slower process in the galaxy but its pretty much the same thing. But even if this was to happen, it would not happen for a very long time.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by IsraeliGuy

Nicely pointed out lol
2nd

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

Can you provide a source that explains this black hole that is supposed to be in our solar system.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Yeah fixed that it was a temporary brain fart I blame on The Shawshank Redemption for taking my eyes off the keyboard. But for your eye's only here you go for the fact: www.sciencedaily.com...

Oh and for the inquisitive mind on what would happen if one entered our solar system: abcnews.go.com...
edit on 22-1-2011 by Golithion because: Another edit the man's a mad man!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

well whos to say it hasent been a very long time already? and to ur question about wouldnt a black hole suck everything up in the milky way? No not if its in hybernation. they do go dorment for long periods of time from what ive learned. but any how thanks for humoring me with my first posted topic.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpunGCake
Well this will be my first topic i have posted just something that poped in my head after the years i been watching the discovery channel.

Good topic of first post inquiry! Doesn't hurt to get either more information or a bit more educated when it comes to matters at hand!!

Ok so as this 2012 thing has been in the media for awhile now. i have noticed on discovery channel there were sayen our planet was venturing tword the middle of our solar system.Well in my mind its only logical to think that there is a black hole there.

Our Solar system is what is venturing SpunGcake. We are set to be aligned with the center of our Universe in the 2012 predictions of our understanding of astrophysics.Here is some more explanation for you to have for research if you wish to know what it is all about.

Scholars from various disciplines have dismissed the idea of catastrophe in 2012. Mainstream Mayanist scholars state that predictions of impending doom are not found in any of the existing classic Maya accounts, and that the idea that the Long Count calendar "ends" in 2012 misrepresents Maya history.[3][5] The modern Maya do not consider the date significant, and the classical sources on the subject are scarce and contradictory, suggesting that there was little if any universal agreement among them about what, if anything, the date might mean.[6]

2012 Phenomenon

i havent done any research or anything but im pretty observant and well this would realy suck right. Guess i was just giving you all somthing to think about.
Peace

There are more than one translation of this event taking place. It has its doom and gloom follower's. But, for the most part, this is a rather unique time for our species, the ability to be able to record, observe and translate new finding's both mathematically and scientifically of what really takes place every 26,000 years or so.
We, as a collective race, have never been able to systematically observe and calculate these events with the technologies we have today.

In the mid-1990s, esoteric author John Major Jenkins asserted that the ancient Maya intended to tie the end of their calendar to the winter solstice in 2012, which falls on December 21. This date was in line with an idea he terms the galactic alignment.[56]

In the Solar System, the planets and the Sun share roughly the same plane of orbit, known as the plane of the ecliptic. From our perspective on Earth, the ecliptic is the path taken by the Sun across the sky over the course of the year. The 12 constellations which line the ecliptic are known as the zodiac and, through the year, the Sun passes through each constellation in turn. Additionally, over time, the Sun's annual passage appears to recede counterclockwise by one degree every 72 years. This movement, called "precession", is attributed to a slight wobble in the Earth's axis as it spins.[57] As a result, approximately every 2,160 years, the constellation visible on the early morning of the spring equinox changes. In Western astrological traditions, this signals the end of one astrological age (currently the Age of Pisces) and the beginning of another (Age of Aquarius). Over the course of 26,000 years, precession makes one full circuit around the ecliptic.[57]

This should help you understand what a "Galactic Alignment" truly is. It is a very rare and unknown thing we will be witness to, so I wouldn't be so fast to jump on the doom and gloom perspective, research the scientific first, then if you want too, you can draw your own conclusions as to what is about to take place. We live in a wondrous Universe, one deserves the full Monty when it comes to it's teaching ability!!

Galactic Alignment: Astrophysics of it...

Enjoy, and welcome to ATS!! "Good first post topic my friend!!

edit on 113131p://0174 by Allred5923 because: [/]

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

i needed an ice breaker for my next one but i have a feeling with everything ive read sence i started watchting this sight probly has already been talked about but info is power.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Glad you found it amusing, The black hole stuff I don't know much about apart from there is one in the centre of the galaxy, and anything that gets too close is history.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

Here's something interesting for you two things: gizmodo.com...

amazing-space.stsci.edu...

imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov...
That should further your education on Black Holes if you like

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

We have many black-holes in our celestial neighborhood, but as for the black-hole taking us out? Don't think so, cause that would "Really Suck!!" LOL
One thing that we as a species has to keep in mind is our neighbor Galaxy "Andromeda. We are on a collision course with this Galaxy, it is much bigger than ours but will eventually will happen some day.

Our galaxy, the Milky Way, has collided with another galaxy, called Andromeda. Although the two galaxies are passing through each other at a million miles an hour, the whole process will take many millions of years to complete. And when everything settles down, the two galaxies will have merged into one.

Milky Way v.s. Andromeda

Wondering black-holes are out there, but there is not much we could do in that event, except raise your arms when you feel the vacuum!!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The thing about black holes is that they are not like giant whirlpools. As long as you are outside the event horizon you wont necessarily get pulled to center, there are plenty of instances (or at least theorized instances) where objects in space have settled into steady orbits around black holes. Therefore, no, I do not think we are getting pulled into a black hole.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join