It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands demand ouster of Yemen's president

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Thousands demand ouster of Yemen's president

news.yahoo.com

ADEN, Yemen – Drawing inspiration from the revolt in Tunisia, thousands of Yemenis fed up with their president's 32-year rule demanded his ouster Saturday in a noisy demonstration that appeared to be the first large-scale public challenge to the strongman.

The protests in Yemen appeared to be the first of their kind. The nation's 23 million citizens have many grievances: they are the poorest people in the Arab world, the government is widely seen as corrupt and is reviled for its alliance wi
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Now heres another country whos citizens are fed up with the government. It looks like the overthrow of the Tunisian government has given inspiration to a few countries citizens in the arab world as of late.

The article also says that clashes have broken out in Algeria to.

According to the article, about 2,500 people came out and demostrated on the grounds of a University, and some more protested in the city of Aden. Im not sure how protests usually go in Yemen, but the article makes it seem like this is highly unusual.

A few other protests were held the day before to.

Military forces responded harshly to two similar protests a day earlier in four cities in the nearby southern province of Lahj, even firing mortar shells that killed one woman. The response forced residents to flee.

Firing mortar shells on the protesters....hmmm.....thats pretty extreme.

Ever since a few months ago, it seems like protests are somewhat being covered more often. UK, France, Russia, Greece, Ireland, Tunisia, Algeria, Yemen, (I problably missed a few to)...plus Lebanon's government being taken down this month. I wonder what country is going to be next?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 22-1-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this. It seems dissatisfaction with governments is going viral, doesn't it? Also nice to see change can happen without interference from outside. (Although I guess there's sometimes more outside influence behind the scenes than we may realize or be privy to.) It will be very interesting to watch these developments for sure and to see where the people take their governments.
edit on 1/22/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Agreed, this is a very interesting situation to watch.

From what ive seen in the news along with my view of the past few months, it is starting to become common (across several countries) to see riot police doing stuff such as shooting tear gas at protesters. Dissatisfaction with current government seems to be covering nearly half of the globe.

One question I have to ask is, has this amount of protest/dissent/overthrow of government worldwide happend in the past this much modern history or at all?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

This is a pretty comprehensive list. en.wikipedia.org...

Before you asked, I hadn't realized there were so many. Very interesting stuff.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Getting rid of US puppets. People staging mass rallies against the banksters.

The global elite losing their grip on the world...how sad

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
This is a big deal. Almost every country in the Middle East is in turmoil!!

Yemen, Jordan, Lebanon, Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria, and Saudi Arabia's King may also die soon which might cause a lot of infighting for control of the oil. If you throw in Iraq and Afghanistan it is basically the ENTIRE Middle East.

Misoir made a really good thread covering most of them with videos and pics.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

-Who/What is causing all of these governments to collapse?
-Why all at the same time?
-Is it just that the people have finally had enough?
-Did Wikileaks spill dirt on just how much these country's leaders cater to Europe and the U.S.?
-Did the West install the dictators getting ousted to run these countries for us, similar to Saddam and Iraq?
-Did all these countries get their ideals to overthrow their puppet regimes from the Islamic Revolution in Iran?
-Is this a sign of the U.S. losing power in the region, and a sign that China is getting a bigger influence?
-Is Israel trying to destabilize the region and set these countries back a few years? Is the U.S.?
-Whose plan is it?

edit on 23-1-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

Now heres another country whos citizens are fed up with the government. It looks like the overthrow of the Tunisian government has given inspiration to a few countries citizens in the arab world as of late.

The article also says that clashes have broken out in Algeria to.

According to the article, about 2,500 people came out and demostrated on the grounds of a University, and some more protested in the city of Aden. Im not sure how protests usually go in Yemen, but the article makes it seem like this is highly unusual.

Indeed and the authorities are now stuck between a rock and hard place there. Do they crack down and risk deaths and further revolt, or stand back and hope it peters out...

Firing mortar shells on the protesters....hmmm.....thats pretty extreme.

Just a tad! But then if I was an evil dictator, I'd use tanks. You don't have to fire their guns, their mere presence is usually enough to scare those pesky plebs into place.

Ever since a few months ago, it seems like protests are somewhat being covered more often. UK, France, Russia, Greece, Ireland, Tunisia, Algeria, Yemen, (I problably missed a few to)...plus Lebanon's government being taken down this month. I wonder what country is going to be next?

It's not really fair to compare some jumped up teenagers who don't realise how good they have it getting upset by a very cheap University system becomign a cheap University system in the UK, to the deomnstrations in the Arab world. Totally different kinds of protests.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   

One question I have to ask is, has this amount of protest/dissent/overthrow of government worldwide happend in the past this much modern history or at all?

Seeing as you asked, just before WW2 would be the last time there were massive uprisings and protests against over-bearing Governments... Or maybe the fall of the Soviet Union...

Not saying anything, just making a comparison.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Heres another story that came out earlier today. Looks like the protests are intensifying.

Yemen: Protests intensify after arrest of journalist Tawakkol Karman

The arrest of journalist and rights activist Tawakkol Karman sparked more protests in Yemen on Sunday as a growing movement pushes for regime change.

Hundreds joined the protests on Sunday, and clashes with security officers left one person dead in southern Yemen and about 20 detained in the capital

new topics

top topics

join