It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anxiety and Need to Talk

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I just needed to take a moment and write something somewhere where I know people will read it and might actually get a response. This looked like the best place I could just write this and not get yelled at for being in the wrong place.

Anyway I am 35 yrs old and was diagnosed with MVP about 2yrs ago. If you dont know what that is it's a heart murmur called Mitral Valve Prolapse. One of the big things that comes with this is General Anxiety and other lovely symptoms liked skipped heartbeats. This leads to my current situation. About an hr ago I just had the urge to check my pulse rate as I felt anxious. Anyway it was going about 120-130 bpm and I panicked after which it actually just stayed high and continued to get higher. I don't know how long it was high but I know it was high. Then of course the skipped beats kicked in.

Well I was well unaware of this before I had an accident about a month ago. I fell at work and ended up at the hospital well my BPM was at like 156 and they were going on and on about heart attacks and other stuff. They did an EKG and it was normal apparently as they released me shortly there after. No one came to tell me it was normal they just came and said I could go home.

The long and short of it is that I am trying to calm down and I guess I am looking for some support too as pathetic as that may sound. So I figured I would post here as the MVP forum doesn't seem to have had anyone around in days. So thanks for listening to me rant, and I would love to hear any calming suggestions, such as tea, hot bath etc.. I am seriously looking to calm myself and keep from really hitting a full blown panic attack. So please don't judge me to harshly but this is the best thing I could think of. Thanks for listening.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
If you have a pet that you can hold that seems to relax me. I was married to a woman that had a few anxiety attacks that really scared both of us. I think the worst thing you can do is stress about it while it's happening. Try some calming music or turn the lights low and try to meditate. I'm sorry this is happening to you but I'm sure you can learn to control it and maybe head it off before it gets to a panic stage.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by isitjustme

Yea I have had it for some time now. I honestly am thinking the increased heart rate right now might actually be due to this little heater under my table. Because it's is really warm and I think my body temp is up. I am pretty sure heat increases your heart rate as well. So I don't either that or I am just looking for reasons to explain it lol.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Hang on my friend! Mine was 170 and I was sitting still! My Fire Dept guys came and got me and saved my butt. I got a small unrepairable hole (PATENT FORUM OVALE-and yes they tried to close it) and I had a heart ablation (Electrocautherization of the spot that makes it beat like a drummer on speed) That worked, slowed me down some, but Im busier than ever, continuing the same pace and so...you can too!

I saw this and had to jump in here quick. Dont ever think youre alone, because you are not. Anxiety and stress is normal, but try, try, try to adopt a good attitude. No its not easy, and we only live on this plane for a while you know? Make the best of it you can...know you arent alone...and I for one extend my hand and ears to you. Just U2U me here Ill get right back to you.

Best of Best Wishes n prayers too.......

Now watch how many "friends" here will jump in! C'mon all!!.

PS Transcendental Meditation and 'mood" music...with headphones will help!
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: more

link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

Do you have a dog or a cat?

link   

I have delt with panic attacks in my life. It's very scary and a person feels like they are having a heart attack.
When I had them, my lips went numb, my fingers went numb, my heart raced, my thoughts were obscured.
I could no longer deal with the attacks as it was affecting my everyday life.
I could not control it on my own no matter what I tried to do. This has happened to me twice in the last 10 years.
Each time I experienced the attacks, I had to take meds.
The first time I took meds for about 2 years and then stopped the meds in a slow fashion. I was fine for quite a few years until after divorce...then it started again. When I had a major one at work, it was time to take action and get back on the meds. Haven't had a panic attack since. I plan to stay on the meds. They help keep me calm. I do not want to go thru it for the 3rd time. It's not worth the fear they cause.

If it contiues for you, don't be afraid to ask your doc for help. There is no shame with panic attacks and not being able to control it. I know where you are coming from.

I hate meds, but in the case of the panic attacks, it is worth taking the meds. You just have to find the right type to help you.

In the meantime, lay on the floor on your back and take very deep breaths. If you have headphones with pleasant relaxing music, put them on.
I understand what you are going thru.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
How are you feeling, now? Any better? I have had (what felt like a) panic attack once or twice, usually induced by too much caffeine (seemed the common factor, anyway) and they are certainly no fun.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
yea I have a cat, but that didn't help. The main problem I am having is resisting the urge to keep checking it.

I think she sensed it lol, because she just came up to me on my computer table and stepped into my lap
edit on 1/22/2011 by Phantom28804 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SkunkSense

I have been listening to pink floyd trying to calm down, but honestly the hardest thing is not thinking about the heart rate. The funny thing is that when i start to feel it feels normal but by the time I count it its back up to 120

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

There are some biofeedback devices out there that can help you to learn how to control heart rate and breathing. I've tried it before and you can quickly learn to control your autonomous systems.

One trick is a relaxation technique where as you breathe you visualize pushing stress out of your body as you exhale. Picture your stress being pushed from your head down and out of the bottom of your feet with every breath.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Pink Floyd is probably not the best to listen to while having a panic attack!
You might find that nature sounds, new age music, hang drum, etc. will calm you much quicker.
Check youtube for calming music. There are loads of vids with the calming effect type of music.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Try looking into alternative medicine: i remember reading a book called "Natural Cures they Don't want you to know about" by Kevin Trudeau. This is especially pertinent because i remember the book begins with a personal anecdote where he was diagnosed with a Mitral Valve Prolapse and got little to know help from western medicine. So he goes to an asian doctor in seattle known for his use of strange methods, who tells him that it is indeed incurable. In the States. The doctor confirmed his condition and the author traveled to Switzerland, sought out alternative therapy (involving stem cells if i remember correctly.) and weeks later was completeley cured. when he went back to the states the docs at Johns Hopkins admittted they misdiagnosed him because the MVP is "incurable".
If I were you I would definitely look into this further (the treatments not necessarily the book, i am not in advertising lol) it could save your life. And even if you don't, try getting rid of stress in your life. get back to nature, slow it down a bit.

Best wishes and peace my friend.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Hey bud my heart goes out to you. I have never dealt with mvp, but I am an alcoholic at 26 y/o along with PTSD and severe depression. It helps me to just read through topics on here, laugh at the ones who claim they are god and aliens. If you ever want to talk U2U me and ill shoot you my number. I care about you so never think your alone because your not.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread654335/pg1#pid10397353]post by
edit on 22-1-2011 by MarineSniper12Kills because: sorry double post

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I have lived with anxiety for my whole life and have had my share of panic attacks, so I know what you feel like. As far as the pluse thing goes, I have that temptation at times too and I find that it increases because my anxiety raises, worrying about my heart beat raising. It's quite comical when your not anxious, thinking about yourself when you were anxious.

Calming music is nice, but for those of us with intense anxiety, it can be hard to let ourselves relax. I have found that the two things which work best for me are watching something really funny or exercising. If your feeling up to it, that is. Exercise, especially cardiovascular, works to shrink your amigula, lessening your fight or flight response. It also releases chemicals called endorphins which will help you feel good and more positively charged. As far as laughing goes, it's the best medicine there is. There is nothing that will distract you from anxiety more than laughing your rear off. Once you do one of those higher impact activities to the point where your feeling a good amount better, even a lot better, then is when you take a bath or listen to soothing music or so on. I personally find that listening to a song with lyrics that mean something to me helps since I can focus on the words, speaking them and thinking about them in order to keep my anxiety in check.

If you ever want some tips for managing anxiety, I've got years and years of experience-based advice to give.

I hope you feel better soon!

Until next time,

TheGoodDoctor

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Meditate.

Find a comfortable position in a quiet place. Relax and close your eyes. Concentrate on your breathing. Take a long, deep breath in, pause for a moment, and then slowly breath out. As your breath in, say to yourself in your head "Innnn" and as you breath out say in your head "ooouuutt." Do this for a dozen breaths or so. Trying not to think about anything else, or have any other dialogue in your head.

Then, with each in breath, concentrate on feeling - and paying attention to the feeling of - a body part. Focus on it on the inhale. Then on the exhale, think about that body part completely relaxing; the tension completely releasing. Start with your feet, then move up to your ankles, then you shins and calves and up and up to the top of your head. Directing all of your attention to that body part on the inhale, then focusing on completely relaxing and releasing that body part on the exhale.

Next, go from the top of your head back down to your feet with the same idea. Except this time, instead of focusing and releasing in a purely physical way, on the inhale you can imagine collecting a calming, clean, pure, white energy on that part of your body. Visualize this energy. On the exhale, visualize any uncomfortable, stessful, undesirable, dirty colored energy leaving that part of your body. See it in your mind and feel it. Do this all the way from the top of your head to the bottoms of your feet, one body-part at a time.

Finally, go back to saying in your head, "iinnnn" on the inhale and "ooouuutt" on the exhale. Slowly and deliberately do this for a few breaths. Then, try to just "say" the in part; on the out part, try for complete silence in your head. If you can do this for a few breaths, then take out the "iiinnn" part too, and experience complete silence in your head. Maintain this silence and maintain awareness on how relaxed your body is. When you are ready, open your eyes and stand up.

This entire process will be difficult at first, mostly because it is hard to concentrate for so long without getting distracted, but I'm sure you can get through much of it. You should work towards completing the whole thing. Try doing it every day - twice a day if you can. I promise you will feel better after the first time, and the more you do it, the better it works. If you stay with it, you will find that it can change your life (although don't shoot for that right away, for now, just enjoy the calm).

Good luck.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Well I am glad to see that there is actually a good response from posting here. I wasn't expecting this much of a response. I am definitely calming down a bit but yea it's not that easy to just stop. I have been making myself stop trying to count my pulse. Unfortunately the cat is not helping me because she is to busy trying to eat my wires or my hand. She is deffo in a playful mode.

Anyway thanks again for all the responses. I would definitely be interested in learning more about alternative medicines for this. As for the gooddoctor thanks for your reply as well. I definitely have issues letting it go. I am afraid that i also have a double whammy as for some reason MVP is linked to Anxiety attacks and that is one of my common symptoms.

I personally think it all comes to my general worries as of late. I recently had a bad cold and well coughed my throat raw. I coughed up some phlegm with blood. Freaked out and assumed the worst and turned out to be a sinus infection with a slight bronchial infection. Then I got a stiff neck the other day that has lasted for 3 days now, and of course my mom tells me it's stress. Then well I was thinking about that and my skipped beats kicked in. Well the skipped beats are always enough to make me panic. I don't care what the doc says that is just something that makes you feel uneasy whether harmless or not. Anyway I think that is what triggered it, but when I checked my pulse that was the end of it. i am sure tomorrow I will be making fun of myself for being so paranoid.

Part of it I am sure is also from the increased smoking and caffeine I have been inducing now lol.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I wish you luck on getting your anxiety under control. I don't want to rain on all positive feedback you're getting here, but it may be that your troubles are about to begin. You said you fell at work?

I never experienced more BS, sabatage, lies and down right meaness, not to mention the subrosa vidoa taping, and nosey neighbors, (who were given a carrot of a $1000 reward for proving that I was committing fraud), after my work injruy!

1 week after reporting my injury, my employers resistance and dirty tricks sent me I into a panic attack that lasted 13 days. I couldn't eat, watch TV, get on the computer etc. I just sat on the sofa and cried! Finally, after 5 months of no temporary disability payment because of the insurance co. games, I finally get to a see doctor for my depression. I am a waitress and have a torn achilles tendon. You can't fake that!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Well i have to admit that I tried the meditation bit and it did help a bit. Dear lord my heart rate is under a 100 I don't know what I will do lol. I also got some good advice from what I hope will become friends on ATS thanks for all the support, and i plan to take all the advice to heart.

Windword I know what you are talking about as it has happened to me in the past where I used to work. Fortunately it didn't happen that way this time as I was right next to my boss when it happened and he is the one that called 911. I was bleeding like a stuck pig. Had a 2inch laceration to my scalp wasn't fun. The funny thing is the nurse couldn't understand why I was having anxiety lol. I mean go figure. Oh yea you just about killed yourself but why stress? right?

I hope that everything works out for you. My best recommendation would be to contact the Industrial Commission in your state and file the accident report with them. That way if your work place doesn't it is on record with someone. It may not be the Industrial Commission where you are but it's basically the Dept of Labor in your state. Don't let em walk all over you fight for it and I will be sending my thoughts your way!

Thanks for all the support it gives me hope for the human race again and that is something I am definitely critical on a lot.

Once thanks for your advice as it would seem to have worked well. Heart rate down to under 100 woot.

Mysterious thanks for your support as well and I will more then likely take you up on that messaging stuff. Same for you Striped.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

I once went through an insane period with a lot of anxiety, and I'd try the hot baths with bathsalts, which was ok, for a while, hot choclate is also nice, as long as it's the sugar free kind (not too much sugar) with a big fat marshmellow, which is fun to play with, rolling it as it melts..

I also had a mantra i'd write out over and over again, given to me from a friend as a suggestion

I am safe

I am at peace

All is well

The unconditional loving support of loved ones is also helpful, as is the complete lack of any responsibility for a while, while you heal, if you can (finances, sabbatical etc. permitting) - it's nice to say goodbye for a while to the "normal" world of insanity for the purpose of a healing retreat from the world, provided you don't isolate.

A good book maybe if you're into reading.

Ice cream, ginger ale and a good movie to curl up to, is also a good thing to do.

Comfortable clean clothing and pijamas and bedding is also important - cleanliness is next to Godliness as they say, and it feels nice.

And, for reducing heart rate and blood pressure, and anxiety, there's a binaural beat brainwave entrainment track in the Alchemy Thread in my signature called "Bach To The Future", that will help.

Be gentle with yourself, curl up into a nice comfy little ball, and be still and be at peace, while generating not anxiety or fear, but love, quietude, and harmony.

A new kitten would also be good, to have something to look after, something cute and cuddly, which will make you forget all about yourself.

That's all I can think of right now.

Don't worry. Everything's going to be ok!

edit on 24-1-2011 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join