It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do things just disappear? (The DOPler Effect)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

It happens here on ATS too. Some threads dissappear, or don't even appear in recent posts if you post in them.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheNewSense

The threads not showing up in Recent Posts is my bad. They do if you click the correct subforum.

My apologies.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I had on idea there was a term for this phenomena. Disappearing Object Phenomena.

For the longest time I've been trying to rationalize an event that happened to around 2006 while I was working at a video games store at a local mall.

Back in 2006 I was managing a games store at a local mall. It was during the closing shift and theres was only 2 staff members working that night - a part timer and I.

I am an avid lottery player and would play religiously every week and several times a week. I have
a small plastic blue pouch where my tickets, money and lotto play sheets are kept in. I also carry a backpack every day that holds my lunch, the blue pouch and other misc stuff.

On that particular night - I asked my part-timer to start closing procedures, count cash etc. while I clean up the store. I decided to gather my belongings so that when he is finished - we can leave promptly - I had to try to catch my bus and didn't want to miss it or have to wait 45mins for next one.

I went to the back office which is a small room with only one door to the store floor, to gather my belongings in my backpack. I had my lunch container and water bottle placed in my backpack and noticed my lotto pouch was missing. I realized that i may have inadvertently left it out on the store floor between the cash register, which I sometimes do when I arrive back to the store after playing and do not have the time to put it in the back office.

This time I was 99.9% sure I had put it in my backpack earlier in the afternoon. I emptied the backpack and put them on the desk - the water bottle and my lunch container - leaving the backpack open and empty.

I went out back on the floor to look for it on the side of the cash register. Nothing. I asked my part-timer if he has seen it. He hasn't.

I went through every nook and cranny trying to find it. Under shelves, cabinets, under register (may have slipped under). I decided to retrace my steps back to the back office and checking everything I could think of. I was adamant it was in the store - I did not lose it outside.

This lotto pouch had my lotto tickets and cash. In the back room I started checking everything from the paperworks on the desk and checking the floor - it might have fallen. I checked the shelves. Finally I took a look at my opened backpack wondering where it could be. As I stared at the back pack I started to get agitated - I needed to find it so I could go home.

I realized what might be happening and was pretty sure it will turn up. I was 99.9% sure it was in my backpack earlier. What I thought was if I find it later in my bag I would doubt it was ever missing and just missed it and I would be wondering how I could have missed it. At that moment I had flashback to an incident back in 2000 regarding another object that had kept me wondering if I had imagined it.

So I stopped - regained my composure and took a deep breath. Made a mental note of the status of the backpack. that it was empty - I put my hand inside each compartment and felt around the black linings - to prove to myself that there is nothing here. I did this several times. I said to myself that if I did not do this and it was here all along - I would be wondering. I have ascertained that the back pack
is now empty of contents. I wasn't afraid that I lost it - I knew that it would turn up - I was 100% sure it is somewhere in the store.

I went back out on the floor again to look for it and trying to retrace my steps what I did during the afternoon and evening. I Started checking the register area again, the floor, shelves, everything. I asked my part timer again if he has seen my lotto pouch. He hasn't.

I assigned him to do closing procedures and he hasn't moved away from the register during all this time. He has not gone to the back office. And the store is closed/gated. I walk back to the office again checking around again - double checking. I approach my backpack on the chair and stare at it empty. I put my hand in each compartment again and twirl around to reassure my self that its not there - that my
backpack is completely empty.

It is at that point that I started to panic and realize that I may have lost about 300.00 worth of tickets and cash out there. Maybe I left it at the convinience store where I play. Time was running out. I had to catch a bus home. If I didn't find it I would stay a few hours and turn the place over till I find it. In panic mode I started turn the place upside down already.

Looking everywhere and blaming my self how I could let this happen. Before I went back out on the floor to check again, I once again examined the backpack - feeling the inside, turning it inside out, shaking it and praying in my mind that I hoped I did not lose it and that its still in the store.

The part-timer was almost finished and ready to leave. I check the register area for the last time. Nothing.
Disappointed and pissed off pissed off at myself that I had lost quite some money, I walked back to the office .

As I opened the office door and turned toward the desk , on the chair was my backpack and against the dark lining was the bright blue colour of the lotto pouch.

I was ecstatic - a thousand thoughts went through my mind. what happened here? Has the pouch in there all along? How could I have missed it?

That is why earlier I took a step back and made a mental note of what was happening and what I was seeing and proceeded to feel each and every compartment of the backpack - to make sure I didn't imagine it. I checked the back three times.

I know something unique happened here that night. I had hoped that wherever it went or whoever took it, the numbers I had on the tickets where of some significance.

I got to catch my bus on time and along the ride home I was so deep in thought about what happened that I almost missed my stop.

That night I wrote a journal about that experience.

I rarely have something unique happen to me. This and and incident in 2000 was something that confirmed my belief that there is something extraordinary that happens regularly in this world.

i know you all like pics. I'm trying to post a couple of pictures along with this but I don't seem to be able to.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   

lunchalot

The part-timer was almost finished and ready to leave. I check the register area for the last time. Nothing.
Disappointed andpissed off pissed offat myself that I had lost quite some money, I walked back to the office .

That is why earlier I took a step back and made a mental note of what was happening and what I was seeing and proceeded to feel each and every compartment of the backpack - to make sure I didn't imagine it. I checked the backthree times.

I rarely have something unique happen to me. Thisand andincident in 2000 was something that confirmed my belief that there is something extraordinary that happens regularly in this world.

I don't know if those are edit typos, or some sort of blip in your system / functioning. Awesome story.

Any chance that your own spirit is poltergeisting, to get your attention, for an issue you might not know you have, or maybe that you do know you have, but don't understand? Twice, you made the same error. Once, you did not complete a word.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
My grandmother always used talk about this happening and said that it was "the little people", that they are mischievous & like to play games. Whilst I don't actually believe this myself I have been affected by something going missing for a short spell.

Over 20 years ago I had my final drama assignment, a monologue - to perform in front of all the class. I had bought some old second hand play book from the 60s, which I believed to be really cool at the time & I had picked out my monologue from the book, which I would practise every night. Naturally the morning of my monologue delivery I went to get the book and it was gone. No where to be seen. I turned my bedroom upside down looking for the book. I knew where I'd put it, the same place I put it every evening after reciting. Anyway, long story short - I ended up adlibing a monologue, I made everything up on the spot and ended up getting an A+. So whatever happened, I couldn't help thinking it happened for a Reason. Especially since, when I got home in the afternoon the book was back where I believed it should have been! What puzzles me though, is that although I know I cared deeply about that stupid monologue at the time, ultimately that whole thing was irrelevant to my future. So I suppose I'm really not sure what to make of it all.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ik9zeroE

heh sorry for the errors - I didn't notice that - I was using a different keyboard layout.

I thought about your remark about a spirit trying to get attention.
Its exactly what went through my mind a while back when another incidence occurred prior, but at that time it
involved a metal bending.

There hasn't been anything to occur since the lotto incidence. I'm thinking it must take a tremendous amount
of energy for an entity to affect matter in our world. Otherwise I would see more of it.
When I went home that night it happened - I hoped whoever or whatever took it for that instance it disappeared that they looked at the numbers that I play and have the numbers come up on the draw.
Well I'm still playing.

To this day , I still think about it.

I still have the backpack which I have hanging behind a door - I don't take it with me anymore - just use it to store stuff. Nowadays I am always ready looking out for odd events - HD cameras on phone is always ready to document. Which I didn't have back then.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
think most people have had this happen to them at one time or another. Then some of us have the experience that just defies logic.

Two occurrences have made a permanent place in my mind because I had very honest witnesses and in both occurrences noone had a reason nor would they attempt to deceive.

Back around 1979, I shared an apartment with my sister. We were in college and the apartment was very small. My mom had come to visit for the weekend. I decided to make my award winning chilli. I used to make huge pots of it and sell it to the students at 50 cents a bowl to put a little change in my pocket.

I took off my watch and put it on the tiny table next to the only chair we had in the house in the TV area. We only had in the room a rocking chair, a small sleeper sofa, one tiny table, a small TV and the TV stand. My mother and sister saw me take off the watch and place on the table. We talked and laughed and enjoyed just being together. None of us left the little cubicle that was advertised as a kitchenette, for over an hour. The secret to my chili was slow cooking, so when everything was done, the only thing we had to do was wait. I always put it on to a slow simmer for at least 2 hours before my first check. I asked what time it was to know when I had to check the pots. No one had on a watch so I went to the table to get my watch. Yep, you guessed it, no watch. We looked everywhere. We too off both the skimpy little tie on cushions from the rocking chair. We moved the chair across the room. We got on our knees and rubbed all over the floor, just in are there was some tiny opening in the wood floor that we couldn't see from above looking down.

The top of the table was completely empty. The top could just barely hold two coffee mugs. No watch. The only other table was the dinette table we were using in the kitchen area, it was not there. None of us had gone to the bathroom but we checked it anyway, no watch. We checked the front and only door. It was locked and the safety chain latch was securely in place. We were completely baffled. My mom could see I was upset and she told me that I was going to rub the skin off my arm, I didn't realize that I was subconsciously rubbing my arm were the watch should have been. We spent the rest of the day just enjoying having to do nothing. We had plans to go shopping the next day anyway so my mom said she would get me another watch when we went shopping. I was happy about that but I couldn't shake the idea that the watch was just gone. I kept looking at the table, touching it. I kept looking at my arms thinking it would just suddenly pop up there. I kept looking at my sister's and at my mom's arms, again thinking it would just pop up, it didn't.

We had an ugly couch, but it folded out to a nice queen sized bed. We could have all 3 slept comfortably on it, I only weighed 95 pounds back then, don't ask, but we also had a little fold away cot in th walk in closet next to the bathroom. Strangely, this was the largest single space in the while apartment. I was going to sleep that but my mom suggested that if I didn't want to sleep in the bed with them, at least put the cot next to the folded out bed so we will all be together in the same space and we could talk ourselves to sleep.

I agreed it was a great idea, so it brought the cot out to the living area, but it wouldn't fit next to the bed because the little table was in the way.I picked up the little table to put it back where it usually was, next to the rocking chair. When I put the table down and went to walk away, something caught my eye. When I looked back at the table, the watch was sitting there, right where I had put it early that day.

I was speechless for a few seconds. I asked my mom and sister did they see what is on the little table. They too couldn't say anything for a few seconds. My sister was the first to speak, she asked, "Where did it come from?" My mom just brushed it off and said it was either her father or my father was probably playing a joke on us. My granddad's mother was Jewish and father was Irish. He used to call himself an Irish Jew, and he was the always quick with the joke, a laugh and a smile. My dad was not big on joking but he couldn't stand it if everyone else was laughing and having a good time and left out. He would always do something to get our attention.

Maybe she was right.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Wow, this happened to me last night! Twice. I have a three level home. I never leave the first floor. Its small, comfy and easy to clean and keep it that way. Its hard to lose anything in an 800 SF area.

So, I put the clippers down to answer the phone. I placed it on my foot rest. I came back and it was gone. I only have two recliners in my living room. I tore apart both chairs, checked every room several times. After my maniacal search for my precious nail clippers, I returned to my chair to find them sitting squarely on my chair that I just about ripped apart. WTH? If it stuck to my shorts, certainly I would have felt it.

Same thing with my remote control. Its just gone. Its impossible for it to be gone. There is no where for it to hide. I just moved in with minimal furnishings. If it appears on my chair, I will freak out and call a priest. Now, I am going to read the entire thread. Thank you OP. I needed to get that out!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I think nail clippers are actually some sort of multi-dimensional devices.

Because pretty much anyone has them, and you see them all the time THEN when you don't need them.
However, IF you need them (god beware!) be assured they shifted into another dimension where they hide. Just to reappear later when you've cut your nails using some other method and don't need them any longer. I swear by god!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I will be the first to admit that sometimes I just over look things. I am trying so hard to find something that my mind's eye takes over. I over look it because my mind says I should see one thing so it rejects what my eyes actually see.

But I don't know how to explain it when myself and several other people look over the exact same area, with a fine tooth comb, find nothing and then have the item appear in that area, as if it had never been missing.

Some will say it is the mass consciousness affect. Some will say ghost, little people, dimension shifts or something paranormal. One thing we can agree on is it happens often and it happens to almost everybody at one time it another.

So maybe we need to rethink this occurrence. It may not be very odd at all. It is a nuisance and an inconvenience, but maybe it is just unusually normal.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It is now easier to document these events as they happen with our cameras on our cell phones. Just gotta remember to do it when something you realize is missing. I did not have a cell phone when my lotto pouch disappeared and reappeared or when a the metal bracket of my video card bent 90 degrees. The documenting it with your camera will help confirm to yourself - that what you just saw happened. I'm hoping for another occurrence - not scared in anyway - just totally fascinated.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Good thread marking for later.

Nothing like this has ever happened to me, period

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
One time I dropped a small cloth used for cleaning precision instruments. After a few minutes, I went to retrieve it. It was nowhere to be found. There are no cracks in the floor, and it happened far from any walls that may have base board openings. The cloth was pink, about five inches square. I had reached for it often, and always vacuumed it, folded it back up and put it back in it's envelope. But I gave up. I spent little time searching for it.

There were no variables such as laundromat, or static clinging it to me and then lost on an interim walk, nothing. I was sitting around cleaning stuff.

That's the only thing I took from it. I should not waste my time. That this thing should now be occupying my mind, when I could be doing anything, was absurd.

It felt as if I had been watched, as my mind plotted on the course of action I should try. By 'watched', I do not mean the standard media creature full-scale surveillance. This was a different gear. It was slightly existential, as if I were outside of myself, weighing my activity. I thought of how silly this would look, in eternity. I'm guessing that they may have caught this little oddity as well. They never miss a beat. It was pink, for chrissakes. I guess that pink would yield some pretty decent contrast, on the master. We'll see.

Lots of stuff seems silly, I suppose, to another's perspective. But we don't always discern the true purpose of things we see. If the purpose is absurd, the time is wasted. If it's a higher purpose, such as cultivating nerve ends, or cleaning house, well, that's different, no matter how silly, or out of stride, or obscene it may seem.

I'm thinking there was a reason for it, if only to set priorities. Tear up the room? Or start to lose certain compulsions to have absolute 'order' for stuff that does not matter. The thing that vanished didn't matter, so why invest in it? God knows I have done this enough. On that day I gave it up.

# 173
edit on 17-2-2014 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This JUST happened to me... here's hoping my items reappear, I don't really enjoy feeling like I'm going crazy hehe

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join