It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malaysia nabs Somalis in day's 2nd raid on pirates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Malaysia nabs Somalis in day's 2nd raid on pirates

news.yahoo.com

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia – Malaysia's navy was holding seven Somali pirates Saturday who were apprehended in the second dramatic commando raid within hours on ships seized near the African coast, authorities said.

The operations gave both Malaysia and South Korea dramatic successes in the battle against pirates who have long tormented shipping in the waters off the Horn of Africa.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The hammer is finally coming down on these parasites.

I expect more actions like this to occur in the coming weeks. We, NATO, need to support them in any way we can. Private military contractors are expected to deploy to region in the immediate future. If they need close air support or medevac, I think we should be able to provide it to them.

This is one area, I think NATO, Russia and China can all agree on and work togther on. We need to conduct joint operations in eradicating these pests and keep the sea lanes safe for shipping.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Finally they have realised there is no mollyfying these criminals into stopping their predation.
The truth is that there must be somebody who was taking immense profits from the scenario, within the somali goverment or power structure.
If we wish to protect the sea lanes from such criminal activity, we have to meet force with force.that is the only message these people understand.
Of course we could go over and help them set up a better goverment and infrastructure, help feed their poor, and see if we can bring up their standard of living so that they do have an alternative to piracy......no?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Finally they have realised there is no mollyfying these criminals into stopping their predation.

I thought these pirates were fisherman who lost their livelihood due to Asian, Spanish and Japanese factory ships vacuuming the sea of fish.

Thanks to your so called "predation" the fish stocks are starting to recover because the factory ships have stopped stealing the fish. It is estimated these ships have scooped up three billion dollars worth of fish off the Somali coast.

I think it is the pirates who have been mollifying these foreign fleets and they should playing hardball by rigging the ships with explosives in case of funny business.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ilovecatbinlady

Were fishermen, WERE. Its more profitable to turn to piracy then being fishermen.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

Were fishermen, WERE. Its more profitable to turn to piracy then being fishermen.

You are joking! Someone gave you a star because you said "were"? Look here now, those coastal Somalis were fishing in the sea since before the US existed. Then one day factory ships turned up. These ships have nets that are miles long and they also trawl the sea floor for anything. After twenty years of this, there were no fish left. Older fishermen quit fishing and younger men never learned how to fish.

Pirates score only 4 or 5 ransoms a year and the money is shared with thousands of people. The money is not for a "Mr Big" but for people sticking it to the corporations that own these ships. Why do you Americans instinctively lend your support to multinationals over poor people?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Thats no excuse to resort to piracy, no different from more than 200 years ago during the Barbary Wars pirates from nations in North Africa who wanted tributes from U.S. sailing through their waters while holding Americans hostage. I like the one especially when they claim it was their right to hold infidels as slaves.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
No one's arguing against dealing with those pirates...however...the world isn't black or white.

An important question is: Why are those pirates pirating? The humanitarian situation in Somalia's atrocious, there's people starving and getting killed every day. Not saying it's our fault, and I'm obviously not condoning violence by pirates, but if you were in their shoes, and someone told you in a single raid you could make enough to feed your entire family for years....would you do it or not?

My guess is, if I had a family that was starving and living in horrible conditions...and I knew I could make enough to provide for all of them with one or a few raids on huge "faceless" corporations...well, I'd probably do it. And I'm also sure a large share of the people on here would too.

Anyone who's ever been to Africa knows the extreme poverty in a ton of countries over there. Put yourself in their shoes! By only going after the pirates, you are basically fighting the symptom, and not the cause of the disease.

Just playing the devil's advocate...but I think my point has merit

edit on 22-1-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join