It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bringing the 'Bush Six' to justice

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

www.guardian.co.uk

If those responsible for the Bush administration's torture policy will not face charges in the US, then in Spain it must be.
Today, the Centre for Constitutional Rights filed papers encouraging Judge Eloy Velasco and the Spanish national court to do what the United States will not: prosecute the "Bush Six". These are the former senior administration legal advisors, headed by then US Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, who violated international law by creating a legal framework that materially contributed to the torture of suspected terrorists at US-run
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
We all no it happened and we all no it was against international law. Them laws were put in place for a reason and they were abused and broken by them in power...
'The Bush Six, like their Nazi counterparts, performed to order for an administration that wanted legal cover to do whatever it wanted with groups it had already deemed non-human'.
www.thenation.com...

If those responsible for the Bush administration's torture policy will not face charges in the US, then in Spain it must be

John Yoo Former department of justice official John Yoo testifying before the House judiciary committee during a hearing on the Bush administration's interrogation policy in 2008 in Washington, DC. Yoo is one of six former Bush officials who may now face prosecution in a Spanish court. Photograph: Melissa Golden/Getty Images

Today, the Centre for Constitutional Rights filed papers encouraging Judge Eloy Velasco and the Spanish national court to do what the United States will not: prosecute the "Bush Six". These are the former senior administration legal advisors, headed by then US Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, who violated international law by creating a legal framework that materially contributed to the torture of suspected terrorists at US-run facilities at Guantánamo and other overseas locations.

Friday's filing provides Judge Velasco with the legal framework for the prosecution of government lawyers – a prosecution that last took place during the Nuremberg trials, when Nazi lawyers who provided cover for the Third Reich's war crimes and crimes against humanity were held accountable for their complicity.

CCR would prefer to see American cases tried in American courts. But we have joined the effort to pursue the Bush Six overseas because two successive American presidents have made it clear that there will be no justice for the architects of the US torture programme, or any of their accomplices, on American soil.

Thanks to the US diplomatic cables recently released by WikiLeaks, we now know why seeking justice abroad has also been fraught with difficulty – why there have been so many delays and even dismissals. The same US government that will not pursue justice at home, not even when the CIA destroys 92 videotapes that show detainees being tortured, has put a heavy thumb on the scales of justice in other countries as well.'
In the light of these alagations maybe twhat bradey mainning done was correct. He was exposing the lies and corrutption and torture of two wars....

kx

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 22-1-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Unfortunately it will never happen, there are people in this country today that absolutely adored those policies and hate the current administration for stopping them.

A lot of people in the US for some reason think that we are in a holy war with the entire middle east, and they think that torturing POW's is a great thing.

So no, it won't happen, sad to say, these war crimes will go unpunished forever.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I think these crimes will be punished and i think it will happen in my ifetime. Change is happening faster and faster these day.... Inforamtion can no longer be restricted so easiy...the repercusions of this are only just starting to be felt.
They have broked the law and they wil be held to account...

kx

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Um, we haven;t stopped doing any of the illegal things that were being done under the Bush administration.
Unless there is something that I don't know about.
We still grab people off the streets and whisk them away to black sites where God only knows what attrocities take place.

I would be glad to see them all tried fairly in a court of law.
International law is meaningless if they cannot prosecute people who break those laws.

Got a feeling nobody from the Bush administration will be vacationing in Spain anytime soon.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

australia is thinking of prosocuting too..

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I love story's like this lol.. I could see it happening but I could also see a bliz of Spain for trying to try them.. if ya get my meaning.. I think its been hinted at by in the past.. and I don't think obama could stand to be weak in the face of it.. if spain tryed to take or try them the united states.. would blow spain back into the stone age.

not saying its right.. I just have a pretty good feeling that yes these crimes will go away and the people who did them will get off scot free

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Well, while it's a nice thought and I absolutely approve, I highly doubt that the U.S. will actually extradite former high-ranking government officials to Spain...or any other country for that matter.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Unfortunately it will never happen, there are people in this country today that absolutely adored those policies and hate the current administration for stopping them.

A lot of people in the US for some reason think that we are in a holy war with the entire middle east, and they think that torturing POW's is a great thing.

So no, it won't happen, sad to say, these war crimes will go unpunished forever.

thank you for your insight i only get a peice of the picture because i dont ive in america...

kx

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Reaper2137

I could see it happening but I could also see a bliz of Spain for trying to try them

This case has been filed with the International Criminal Court. America would have to bliz the world if they tried. Considering how much of a hard time they are having in Afghanistan I don't like their chances.
www.ucimc.org...

These type of cases can take years to go through all the motions. It is great to see the international community banding together to put an end to this torture that America is incapable of addressing.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Well, the U.S. didn't have that much trouble destroying the place. It's putting it back together that's been the real sticky wicket. It also doesn't seem to me like the international community is really banding together quite yet, but whatever. These are former high-ranking U.S. officials; international laws or no international laws, they're not going to given up without a serious fight.
edit on 22-1-2011 by gnosticquasar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
Well, while it's a nice thought and I absolutely approve, I highly doubt that the U.S. will actually extradite former high-ranking government officials to Spain...or any other country for that matter.

No there are not going to exradite there own with willing. I think the same token this kind of behavour wil bring isolation to the usa in the future...

kx

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Probably will, and I hope for the day that it does. Maybe the international community can reign in what my countrymen and I have more or less completely lost control of.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
This has been talked about for how long now and nothing but talk has happened. I wish they would bring those professional oxygen thieves to justice.

The U.S is protecting them as Parents protecting their murderous child. More and more are standing up wanting justice towards these idiots. I cant help but feel this will get something really big started if the U.S doesnt let them face the accusers. The best thing America can do for itself right now is extradite them.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Really kind of a no brainer, nothing will happen. If Obama turned them over, he'd be next for continuing the same policies. The US will never have it's politicians in another countries courts for ninternational crimes, if that door was ever opened, it'd have to apply to everyone, not gonna happen. Funny, how this is still partisan, just how many have died under Obamas tenure?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I suspect a bit of trolling here. If the OP was genuine in their desire to have any leader held accountable, Obama and his cronies would most certainly be on the list of those tried for crimes against humanity. But alas, the talk only surrounds Bush and his ilk. Sad really, that partisanship can lead one to believe that the leader of one political party is guilty of crime and that the leader of their political party, engaged in the same policies, is exercising sound judgement. A reasonable person would be able to recognize the crimes being committed by BOTH parties. True justice does not recognize partisanship and belongs to no political party!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Im half Spanish and I don,t reckon they,d do this they are a fiesta siesta people if you catch my drift Hugo Chavez believes 911 was an inside job . These countries we "beleive" are "backwards or deveoping or run by dictators are nothing of the sort , they have been lied about by our "free" press , Oliver Stones documentary about Chavez illustrates this.It is not just Bush and his cronies that need to be persecuted also Gordon Brown and Tony Blair who is making serious cash now off being a mass murderer . THEYRE all S C U M !!!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
If extradition doesn't work for the International Courts -
maybe it's time to move on to rendition -
or even better put 'em all on "Wanted" posters and pay the bounty hunters to bring 'em in.
I'd go back to watching TV to see THAT reality play out!

ganjoa.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
I suspect a bit of trolling here. If the OP was genuine in their desire to have any leader held accountable, Obama and his cronies would most certainly be on the list of those tried for crimes against humanity. But alas, the talk only surrounds Bush and his ilk. Sad really, that partisanship can lead one to believe that the leader of one political party is guilty of crime and that the leader of their political party, engaged in the same policies, is exercising sound judgement. A reasonable person would be able to recognize the crimes being committed by BOTH parties. True justice does not recognize partisanship and belongs to no political party!

im soz but you are incorrect... pz refrain from personal insults especialy when you have no evidence to back your statements up.
Did i write the list of the people being held accountabe under international law..?
No and if you had bothered to read through my threads you would have seen that i have a thread about obama being held acountable..

Obama should resign if approved UN spying: WikiLeaks founder
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Wikileaks: Julian Assange Will Charge Sarah Palin & Mike Huckabee with "Incitements To Kill
www.abovetopsecret.com...

so who is the troll....?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

These are former high-ranking U.S. officials; international laws or no international laws, they're not going to given up without a serious fight.

The international legal system is aware of the situation and many legal cases do consist of a fight. It has been the ability of the courts to rise above this conflict to arrive at a resolution that has reinforced the integrity and respect of the legal system. Like all professions there are problems through out its many branches, at the highest levels it does hold the respect and support of the international community.

reply to post by kozmo

Obama and his cronies would most certainly be on the list of those tried for crimes against humanity.

I am not aware of any war crimes filed against a current head of state. I consider this is due to the pressures of the job and the stability of a nation. It is generally once they are out of office or lost the war that the trials are considered, I may be wrong. Obama inherited the messy practice of torture as part of his office. Time will tell how the international community responds. If these trials aid in his ability to close this illegal practice then kudos for him.

True justice does not recognize partisanship and belongs to no political party!

Touche,

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join