It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools and Cursive Writing. Conspiracy? Or just a sign of the times?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
To tell you the truth, I can't remember the last time I wrote or read cursive. I say wrote because I can't even read my own cursive it's so bad. The way I write is kind of a mix between the two. But as for our children, I'm not worried. Writing cursive has been a burden for me all my life but I was always able to get my point across and so will our children. Language is a very...organic aspect in our lives, forever evolving. It will change and evolve, and almost always to the bemusement of previous generations. I, for one, welcome this change.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

A very optimistic approach. Nothing wrong with that.

I just hate the idea of having to call in an archaeologist 50 years from now just to read a letter I wrote to my great granddaughter in cursive.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Klassified because: ETA

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Nothing wrong indeed. Thank you. That is funny but you do have a point.
I would like to add also that through out the years, maybe this is just speculation, but I have noticed that people with positions which require a slightly above average intelect, can't write cursive to save their life. An example which most everybody can relate to, prescriptions. Do any of you agree?
edit on 24-1-2011 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Doctors and pharmacists. Somehow I think that's on purpose in many cases, to keep us common folk from reading it. That, and the people you refer to are always in a hurry, and have learned to scrawl instead of write legibly, because it's faster.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
My daughter goes to a private school. I was surprised that they teach ONLY cursive writing to the students and then teach print after cursive has been mastered. They've had a time of it with my kid because I taught her to print before she started school, so she's had to play catch up with cursive. She is six. I was taught to print first, myself. I can no longer write much by hand at all. If I try to write out a letter or even a short note, I find myself skipping letters or transposing them. By the way, don't judge my writing by the posts I make here or in my private messages. I'm still not used to the glass key interface in iPad. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of surfing the web at my pc anymore. I catch a read of this site as I multitask my way through the day. I leave the iPad on the table and pop down for a look in between chores.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

I was also taught to print before I learned cursive. I write something everyday. Out of necessity more than want, but it has at least kept me from losing the ability.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join