It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Gun Rights Activsts Want Teachers To Carry Concealed Weapons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Texas Gun Rights Activsts Want Teachers To Carry Concealed Weapons

www.miamiherald.com

Friday, 01.21.11

By Robert Cadwallader
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram

"ARLINGTON — Two gun rights activists are proposing that Arlington teachers and administrators be allowed to carry concealed weapons on campus."

"The idea, which comes amid national debate about high-profile public shootings, was immediately opposed by some school officials, one of whom called it "dangerous."

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 21-1-2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
The article further goes on to state:

"Only one district in the state allows concealed weapons. The tiny Harrold school district near Wichita Falls became the first in the nation to allow armed employees in fall 2008, a protective measure that school officials supported because the district is at least 20 minutes from the nearest sheriff's station."

Here's an article on that school district from 2008:
"HARROLD, Texas — A tiny Texas district will allow teachers and staff members to carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings when classes begin this month, provided the gun-toting employees follow certain requirements."
Source: www.huffingtonpost.com...

What do you think ATS? Good or Bad Idea?

Read more: www.miamiherald.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by manta78

Another related thread from another district.

I think this is great! I think the teachers should be held to a very high standard before being approved to carry, but as long as they can prove gun training and qualification, and as long as their peers and supervisors respect them as level-headed and responsible, and maybe they should be required to complete yearly requalification and C.E. credits along the same lines an officer would, perhaps de-escalation techniques, or negotiation techniques, or small-arms training.

As long as the plan is well thought out and implemented, then I hope more and more districts get on board with this.

I also think it is crucial that nobody knows who is armed and who is not armed. There is too much potential for a weapon to be lost or stolen, and it would be too easy for a gunman to target the armed teachers first, and anyone that carries a gun regularly knows that it is just a nuisance to constantly answer questions about it. It should be mandatory for the person approved, and for the administration that does the approval, that all approvals are 100% confidential.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by manta78

I lived in Arlington for 10 years. It can be a pretty rough place. The biggest gang down there is called Lynch Mob (a mostly black gang... ironic, innit?), and there are also alot of MS13 (mexican gang from California) members also. Most of the murders in Arlington are related to these 2 gangs. Most of these murders involve high school students, especially at Sam Houston High. With this in mind, I personally wouldn't object to teachers carrying guns on campus. But then again, we must keep in mind that fighting fire with fire only makes a bigger fire.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SamTGonzalez

But then again, we must keep in mind that fighting fire with fire only makes a bigger fire.

That is only a temporary effect, fighting fire with fire also serves to remove all the fuel and let the fire burn itself out quickly. It works with forest fires, and it could work with school violence. Maybe the immediate result is a couple of armed conflicts, maybe even a couple of shootings, but if they stay the course, the criminals wind up dead or arrested, and the would-be criminals are effectively deterred!

Fighting fire with fire is an effective long-term solution, we just can't be swayed from the first couple of setbacks, we have to be steady in our course.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Maybe the immediate result is a couple of armed conflicts, maybe even a couple of shootings, but if they stay the course, the criminals wind up dead or arrested, and the would-be criminals are effectively deterred!

This is a good point. I agree with your statement. I say we approve this for teachers and see what happens. Something needs to be done about the gangs in Arlington.
edit on 21-1-2011 by SamTGonzalez because: some kinda glitch

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SamTGonzalez

Maybe the immediate result is a couple of armed conflicts, maybe even a couple of shootings, but if they stay the course, the criminals wind up dead or arrested, and the would-be criminals are effectively deterred!

This is a good point. I agree with your statement. I say we approve this for teachers and see what happens. Something needs to be done about the gangs in Arlington.
edit on 21-1-2011 by SamTGonzalez because: some kinda glitch

Something needs to be done about the gangs in schools everywhere.....

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Reply to post by getreadyalready

Trouble is nobody ever stays the course.

They have one "incident" and everybody starts crying and screaming and they go right back to being doormats.

No follow through.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

They did something about it in Harrold, Texas, first school district in the
nation to allow concealed weapons by teachers and administrators back
in 2008.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by manta78

Any stats on the success of that? Any shootings or arrests or mishaps? Since it hasn't been blasted all over MSM, I am assuming it was successful!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Haven't heard anything, but will check that out and post if located.
True, reporting successful programs is not a usual trait of MSM media...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

This blog comment dated August 10, 2009 is what I found so far which seems to confirm success:
"One year - NO guns pulled - NO psycho teachers shooting kids."
"Where do I sign up my kid's school ????"

Source:www.usnews.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It is my understanding that, in Texas, even someone who has a concealed handgun permit is not allowed to carry that handgun on school property, so why would we allow teachers to do it? Also, can anyone provide any statical information with regards to crimes which were thwarted by people carrying permitted handguns?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
sounds good to me. We let teachers influence our childrens thoughts and ideals...thats a hell of a lot more dangerous than a gun ever will be.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Here is an article and news video today from CBS News:

dfw.cbslocal.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish
It is my understanding that, in Texas, even someone who has a concealed handgun permit is not allowed to carry that handgun on school property, so why would we allow teachers to do it? Also, can anyone provide any statical information with regards to crimes which were thwarted by people carrying permitted handguns?

Here's your answer to the handguns allowed on school property question:

"The state's concealed-weapons law allows weapons to be carried at schools and at off-campus school activities only if the district's school board provides written authorization. However, guns cannot be brought into any government meeting under the law."

See the CBS article and video above ^ as the source and for more information. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Since most of the "schools" these days are nothing more than pre-incarceration facilities, I agree with the idea. Even when I was in school, I would say that more than half of the "students" could barely be classified as human, let alone law abiding studious learners. I carry everywhere I can, because I am surrounded by degenerate animals that major in murder and minor in assault, so why not the teachers?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by manta78

This in my opinion is only going to be any good what so ever if the staff who are permitted to carry a weapon on school grounds, are also trained to infalible levels in martial arts. I say this for the following reasons. Currently , as far as I am aware, security in learning establishments is quite tight where gun control is concerned. This means that firearms dont get into the school on any grounds, unless carried by a police officer or other LEO.
However, if teachers are bringing weapons to school, an industrious , murderous teen has only to incapacitate a teacher, and they have a clip and a gun, and a school full of fun ahead of them.
Sure , another teacher may pull out and blow thier damned faces off, but the whole situation could be averted by, oh I dunno, not having them on the premises at all! Why not air tazers? Mace? Lazer dazzler weapons maybe? Why does it have to be a slug launcher which has a higher than fifty percent mortality rate?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I have thought teachers should have guns for a long time now. Imagine how different a school shooting scenario could turn out if all staff was armed. Any would be shooter would be extremely out gunned. Instead of everyone locked into classrooms and a shooter roaming the halls, the shooter would be staring down the barrel of 50 guns.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by shai hulud
Since most of the "schools" these days are nothing more than pre-incarceration facilities, I agree with the idea. Even when I was in school, I would say that more than half of the "students" could barely be classified as human, let alone law abiding studious learners. I carry everywhere I can, because I am surrounded by degenerate animals that major in murder and minor in assault, so why not the teachers?

Well said. The school I went to was more like a zoo. It seems that the people in my generation just don't give a damn about education.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join