It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. Korea navy 'kills Somali pirates, saves crew'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

S. Korea navy 'kills Somali pirates, saves crew'

news.yahoo.com

SEOUL (AFP) – South Korean navy commandos on Friday stormed a ship hijacked by Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean, rescuing all the 21 crew and killing eight pirates, military officials said.

The SEAL special forces boarded the South Korean ship before dawn, freeing all the hostages and killing the pirates in cabin-to-cabin battles, they said. Five other pirates were captured.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Finally it looks like we are striking back.

After one year in which hundreds of ships were hijacked and even more people were held hostage by pirates, it looks like we have finally had enough of their crap.

This happens in the wake of reports of OPEC countries financing private military contractors to go into Somalia and go after the pirates on the ground.

We cannot tolerate piracy period.

news.yahoo.com

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
that's good news. i served under army navy and had many soldier friends that used to work in boats going arround atlantic and stuff and they always had the fear of being under the attack of pirates. not to mention that they are not allowed to carry any weapons themselves. thats good news finally.

link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
The SEAL special forces boarded the South Korean ship before dawn, freeing all the hostages and killing the pirates in cabin-to-cabin battles, they said. Five other pirates were captured.

Good.
Damn lice.

link   
Thats great news. I'm also happy to see that the military of other countries is taking a firm stance. At some point, maybe the pirates will get the hint...if I hijack a ship I'm going to get killed. Sadly, there's probably many more pirates in the making. I think the social / poverty issues of Somalia have to be resolved before we see the end of Somali pirates.

link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Finally is right, it was getting worse and worse there where no repercussions for these pirates. We invade countries for less, but some reason allow these pure criminals and terrorists of the seas to flourish.

I certainly hope opec goes after them on thier home territory, pirates are a scourge on the global economy.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
This could be the start of a new business venture. I understand that dozens of ships are being held hostage right this very minute. Some enterprising SEAL-driver should undertake the operation of Mitch Rapp style commando flotillas to systematically eliminate the 'pirates'.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Well Shiver me timbers!
Arr, me hearty! Me thinks pirating CDs might be safer. Yo-ho-ho

Seriously
to SEAL special forces...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
It’s to be expected from the ROK commandos, they’re very good indeed. Certainly up against these pirates (yarr), there’s no contest.

Nice work fellas! If only this happened more often.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

After one year in which hundreds of ships were hijacked and even more people were held hostage by pirates, it looks like we have finally had enough of their crap.

This happens in the wake of reports of OPEC countries financing private military contractors to go into Somalia and go after the pirates on the ground.

news.yahoo.com

So is this an excuse to invade them in an illegal war and steal their resources? They are pirates so they got what was coming to them. But we are not going to go steal their resources because of this.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

Where did anyone say anything about invading or resources?

Jumping to conclusions?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

ROK SF is one of the most elite SF groups in the world. During the Vietnam war, it was said that the NVA was most scared of them as they struck without warning, were merciless, and highly effective.

A member of Seal Team II during that era recounted this anecdote to me.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

news.yahoo.com

So is this an excuse to invade them in an illegal war and steal their resources? They are pirates so they got what was coming to them. But we are not going to go steal their resources because of this.

Hi,

If you can read my signature at the end you will see a particular phrase, i suggest you look it up you will be surprised at the amount of information you will at have at hand so to have a biased opinion.

edit on 21-1-2011 by tristar because: Ocean Shield

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I think there should be zero tolerance for this "pirate" stuff. They should be killed when ever the chance happens, and their boats should be sunk. There is no way anyone can condone these people attacking ships and holding hostages.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
so who here thinks this was done by south korea as a thinly veiled threat to north korea?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

I don't know about that idea.

We could actually see North Korea end up helping in the fight against the pirates. They have had ships hijacked by them.

new topics

top topics

join