It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Hand Syndrome sees woman attacked by her own hand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Imagine being attacked by one of your own hands, which repeatedly tries to slap and punch you. Or you go into a shop and when you try to turn right, one of your legs decides it wants to go left, leaving you walking round in circles.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I know a few people who could do with that condition.
Verry odd illness indeed. I could think of one situation where the alien hand could be a good thing though wink wink

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I always thought Ash vs. his possessed hand in Evil Dead II was best attacking hand.

Who's laughing now?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I saw something like this on a medical documentary some months back. According to what I saw, it is some kind of disconnect in the brain. Like the brain does not recognize certain limbs. Very rare, indeed. It would be kind of like a normal person having three arms, with one of them being uncontrollable. This one guy actually had his foot (I think it was his foot) amputated cause it was causing him so much stress and anxiety.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by union_jack

Alien Hand Syndrome is a very strange condition. It can be caused without major trauma to the brain, but sometimes it manifests when one side of the brain is carefuly severed from the other during a medical procedure. I think there was a case where a lady got the syndrome after having the connection between the right and left chunks of the brain severed as a treatment for a form of epilepsy , something of that nature.
Pretty weird, but not what it sounds like

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Haha I forgot how good that film is, watching that clip brought back some memories.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
This is strange indeed. Very interesting read. Thanks OP!

Originally posted by TrueBrit

I think there was a case where a lady got the syndrome after having the connection between the right and left chunks of the brain severed as a treatment for a form of epilepsy , something of that nature.
Pretty weird, but not what it sounds like

This woman is what the entire OP article is talking about, in case you didn't even read the article posted...

That is because these patients would, in time, reveal something that to me is truly astonishing - the two halves of our brains each contain a kind of separate consciousness. Each hemisphere is capable of its own independent will.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
This has nothing to do with Aliens and UFO's it is a medical condition called Epilepsy. This should really be moved. Also, you have basically copied and pasted an extract from the BBC website and posted it as a new thread with no input of your own... sorry, rant over, I'm not a mod (and don't want to be), just having a bad day.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Interesting, I was under the impression that the capacity of the lobes of our brains to self determine was firmly understood already. Its long been a saying amongst psychologists that people do not have one brain, but four. The thing that startles me about the idea of it, is that those four lobes can ever agree for long enough that a person can act based on the function of that combined mind.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Split brain patients offer a fascinating insight into brain function and consciousness.
It seems we are ‘dual’ in nature. It may very well be that the right hemisphere represents the unconscious self. Each half of the brain contains its own independent consciousness, how interesting it would be to pursue a ‘dialogue’ with the self-centered sub dominant dreamer. Perhaps it could also explain such trivialities as lie detectors etc. One difficulty encountered is the problem of language or even of priorities when the right brain has dominance or is isolated. Hypnosis and Jungian analysis, among other things, could be used. Who knows what information different approaches could reveal? I can think of lots of areas where investigation might be revealing.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

It's like Deadly Ernest and his alien hand, Igor..

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
I always thought Ash vs. his possessed hand in Evil Dead II was best attacking hand.

Who's laughing now?

That is exactly the first thing I thought of. I love that movie and it was shot in Michigan.
This disease would be terrible to have and I think I'd do like Ash does in the movie, cut the damned hand off. Not to mention having a chainsaw for a hand could be kind of cool but I imagine the TSA would have a problem with it if you decided to fly.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Idle hands are the devil's playground.

IDLE HANDS
edit on 21-1-2011 by inthemass because: Added Link

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I was just about to post this, lucky I done a search first..

When I read this it really creeped me out, I think its really interesting how both parts of the brain can function independently but I believe its more a defence mechanism that has evolved over time it makes sense that if one side of the brain is damaged in some way that the other half should be able to function perfectly well, it just seems in this case the connection between to functional parts of the brain has been severed and as they said a "power struggle" between the two ensued.

Still well done mother nature for making our body and mind so robust!

S+F!

new topics

top topics

join