It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drugged up by Mountain Dew? Contains a painkiller and psychiatric medication?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Odd, I think what we are forgetting is, when was this chemical added? I remember in high school getting a case of mountain dew and "researching" network security, and watching the matrix.... every friday. I seriously dont remember this being part of the ingredients.

I would like to find an old mountain dew container and examine the ingredients, and see if this was on it then. If it wasnt, and being it (as far as i can remember) tastes exactly the same as it did in high school, I think we have a bigger problem here, or should I say................CONSPIRACY

**dramatic music plays**

No, but seriously, I do think it is a pretty big problem.. good find, S&F.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Wait so mountain dew really is redneck prozac?

Well I guess if anti-depressant use is falling off because people cannot afford the doctors visits and prescriptions due to the economy just put it in the soft drinks.... No need to poison the water just hit the soft drinks and you get most of the population. No wonder the majority can't wake up everyone is drinking "don't worry be happy juice"....

That explains why I am not under the spell. I quit drinking sodas decades ago been filtering my drinking water longer then that too...

Well not to worry pretty soon people will not be able to afford soda either that wheel barrel of FRN's will have to buy bread instead...

edit on 20-1-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I had no idea all this stuff is in mountain dew..My husband drinks the stuff like water im going to be sure to show him this thread thanks so much for posting this ! S&F for you great thread...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Cool! Will this help allow for, say, a defense in a case. . ..actually, wasn't that already done with the "Red Bull" defense? I believe it was.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Flag for you. I have to have my Dew every morning. If I don't I do not feel right. I know that they are bad for me but I have got to have it man.
HI... My name is Liejunkie and im addicted to Mt. Dew..

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by h1satsu

Time to stay away from it I guess.

This sucks. Soda will never be good for you but for pete's sake, why can't we have soda without this nasty stuff in it?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Go check your chewing gum. Most of the newer brands like Stride contain PHENYLKETONURICS as well and have for quite some time. Just a heads up for anyone concerned about it.
edit on 1/21/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I don't know if there's a conspiracy here or what, but I usually try to avoid aspartame for the most part.
As for phenylalanine--well, I'm sure it's almost as bad as aspartame, but I do have it sometimes. One product I know that has phenylalanine are those 5-Hour Energy shots.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
My can doe not have this listed as an ingredient.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Yeah, I should probably add I live in Boston.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

I have a 12 pack box, a two liter bottle and a 12 oz can right here and none of them have it either. Is this something that is only on 20oz bottles? What is up with that? I can take pics if needed. lol

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smell The Roses

Do you have any cans around to look at? I am curious as to why it is only on the 20oz bottle you have. You could be on to something.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01

Originally posted by Smell The Roses

Do you have any cans around to look at? I am curious as to why it is only on the 20oz bottle you have. You could be on to something.

Um here is a can...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/caf321052645.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Smell The Roses

That is strange. My cans do not have that. I will try to take a pic. I have never done this berfore so give me a minute.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
of course, the ONE person on page one that tried to inject some sense into this conversation was ridiculed.

PHENYLALANINE IS NOT A DRUG!

phenylalanine (PEA) is a freaking amino acid. nearly every protein in your body carries this molecule along its chain. so, the first thing to realize is that there is no reason in the world (unless you have Phenylketonuria) to attempt to avoid this molecule.

the second thing is that yes, the entire class of speed drugs (ecstasy, 2ci, amphetamine, coc aine, etc.) are derived from this amino acid. interestingly, so is the neurotransmitter dopamine. but importantly, your body has a defense mechanism called mono-amine-oxidase (MAO) which breaks down PEA in the gut.

so, when this simple sweetener hits your stomach, its life as a psychoactive chemical ends there. on the other hand, if you were to take an MAO-Inhibitor AND consume phenylalanine, you will get high in a way very similar to coc aine.

what is also important to note is that, although these chemicals are all related (including the ones from the OP), a change in a single atom in its general structure can have drastic differences in the body. just because they share the same backbone does not mean that they have the same pharmacokinetic profile.

seriously, folks. calm down.

edit on 21-1-2011 by tgidkp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Smell The Roses

Sorry it took me so long. I have a Sanyo model VPC-E760 and it is not working to well. The auto focus keeps zooming in and out. I am not going to load a blurry pic. I guess I am going to have to get a new camera. I am curious about this none the less. This is going to drive me mad.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
The new stride gum?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bd8d1fc183c7.jpeg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Seriously, nice info but why would some cans have this and some do not? I know that they are bottled by an independent bottler, isn't the logo and label on the bottles approved by Pepsi co? Why would some state this and some not?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

if in fact they are the same product, with the same formula, then they should definitely have this label.

if someone with the rare genetic disease phenylketonuria ingests this, it can instantly cause very serious brain damage and/or death.

the label is for those people. and if the product contains it, and the label doesnt disclose it, it could be a legal issue. but certainly not a conspiracy......

......wellllll. on the other hand, "they" will try and get us hooked on just about anything they can these days. and people just LOVE to go on about the dangers of aspertame in general. so a conspiracy = maybe.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Another thought, is there a limit on how much and how fast your acids in your stomach can break down and process this amino acid? If you drink more than your body can process couldn't your stomach lining and intestines absorb some of this amino acid? I know I drink alot of Dew and urinate even more.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join