It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember When You Were a Noob?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
First of all I still consider myself to be new here as I have only been a member for about 9 months and active for about half of that or so, but I had been reading ATS for what seems like forever.

With all of the new members we have been seeing in the past few days/weeks and my ever increasing level of comfort on the boards, I have been thinking back to when I was brand new.

Did any of you feel rather naive or sophomoric when entering into a thread? I know I did, but the odler members quickly made me feel very comfortable and seemed nothing other than welcoming.

In fact I had a noob moment just recently in this thread and it made me think back even more. I had to laugh at myself for not seeing the intent of the OP.

I think we should look back onto when we were noobs and how we felt, and it might change the perspective of some of the newer members we have now.

And noobs, remember, we all were once!

Share a noob experience!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I usually hate the term noob. I always hated that when you join any sort of game or chat or posting board that you are automatically termed a noob and alot of people who have been there longer use it in a god like I'm better then you so I'm gonna talk down to you kinda way.

...didn't find that here. And thats one of the many things I like about ATS.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadStarState

I do too, just using it as a generic term that helps me get my point across.
Alot of new members have more to add to a discussion that you or I, and that is also something great about ATS.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadStarState

...didn't find that here. And thats one of the many things I like about ATS.

Yes, that was my experience as well. I don't know if I was just lucky or what, but I was always made to feel welcome here and I try to "pay that forward" to any new members I come across.

Wish I did have an interesting story to tell but alas, I have nothing but good stories about the people that I have met here.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
i need to buy alot of magnets

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I call them rookies. Yes I am a rookie and learning. It feels like the first day on the job, where you do not know crap, but you try to pull your weight. All while everybody expects you to know everything about the job. I am still learning the ropes folks.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Rookies might be a more PC term, but when have we ever been that PC here on ATS haha.
I think that among the topics discussed here on ATS, we are always learning, if we knew everything, none of us would be here.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
Did any of you feel rather naive or sophomoric when entering into a thread?

...didnt have those issues but i'd been posting on message boards for decades and they're purty much all the same - some real smart people, some real stupid ones and lots that fall into the middle...

...i had some issues with navigation cuz this site is huge...

the odler members quickly made me feel very comfortable and seemed nothing other than welcoming.

...cant say i've met any odler members... [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e46ab0544e53.gif[/atsimg]

I think we should look back onto when we were noobs and how we felt,

...i remember when noobs were called newbees or newbies or fresh meat...

...i dont think i like noob... makes me think of boob, as in idiot, not as in breast...

...its boon spelled backasserds... nube is prettier... googled noob for s&g's...

Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own. It is the latter we will study in this guide so that the reader is prepared to encounter them

...more at: www.urbandictionary.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a4916cedd4af.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own. It is the latter we will study in this guide so that the reader is prepared to encounter them

Learned something new today!
Getting difficult to keep up with the slang...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a4916cedd4af.gif[/atsimg]

Wow I guess I really am still a noob/n00b/newb etc
My bad yall

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

I STILL AM A NOOB!... and im remembering when i was more of a NOOB!!!

▓▓▓▒▲▒▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▒▲▒▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▒▲▒▓
▓▓▓▓▒▲▒▓▓
▓▓▓▒▲▒▓▓▓

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Disemboweled

Welcome disemboweled.
This is not an intro thread, but welcome nonetheless.
May you learn all the lessons that ATS has to offer.....

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'm still a noob. I'm such a noob I'm too lazy to adjust my avatar picture size....

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
pretty sure I'll always be a noob.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by noobgal

yes...even if your here for 50 years you will always be known as a noobgirl...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by noobgal
pretty sure I'll always be a noob.

Very clever!
and welcome!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Thank you !

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
So what is the duration of noobhoodum? 1 year sounds okay?
Someone did a thread once about ats being similar to a school. I kind of feel like it is a metaphysical school, and like school, one learns and progresses, which I feel we all do. We find out about charlatans, learn how and where to gather and present info on our common topics, cross reference, support or debunk it and we also commune with co-curious people.

I hear ya on the retrospective chuckle, I really thought I had a lot of things figured out before I came here.....not.

I know also that I always have more to learn, and I will continue to seek truth while enjoying the ride.
I agree with the notion of older members being supportive too

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Is that 1 year of frequenting the site or 1 year of active membership. You and I have both been around for about the same time, and probably lurked for longer before that.

I guess we need to differentiate between noob member and noob member but been around a long time, kinda like the senior who has been left back a few times and is a 21 year old college freshman. He may be a frosh, but he will have more experience than the rest of the members of his dorm.

As far as learning on ATS, I still learn things everyday, whether its a good site to pull some exif data, or whether or not ANW is a decent website. Should I pay more attention to Boon or Spec?

I hope my ATSIQ continues to grow everyday and year by year. In that sense, we are always just starting out our journey, just like when we were noobs.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I'm still in the noob, under my clothes.

edit on 5-2-2011 by dr_strangecraft because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join