It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration expanding use of Guantánamo Bay: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Obama administration expanding use of Guantánamo Bay: report

www.rawstory.com

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1939c0724eee.jpg[/atsimg]

"The Obama administration is preparing to increase the use of military commissions to prosecute Guantánamo detainees, an acknowledgment that the prison in Cuba remains open for business after Congress imposed steep new impediments to closing the facility
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Maybe the horrific conditions at Gitmo may have changed but the fact is Gitmo is still there. Obama could have closed the place with an executive order just like the shrub did to open the damn place to begin with. As far as the political climate is concerned, Obama is eroding his base daily (he's lost me) by not showing intestinal fortitude against the right wing.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FeeBanks

Obama is nothing but a lie, from birth to now..

I don't believe anything he says...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Did anyone reslly think that Obama would go ahead and close te place?

I didnt. Was he just going to release any detainees there? Send them on there merry way? Perhaos send them to a different facility? No to all of the above.

How can he release someone without a trial? He wouldnt.
Send them to a different facility? What would that solve, the detainees would still be detained, just in a different location.

Gitmo just became a good talking point and a symbol of the Bush adminisration.
I guess Obama just never had any intention to do anything with Gitmo, dispite any promises that he may have made.

But really how could he have, and who really expected him to?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

But really how could he have, and who really expected him to?

The idea was to relocate them on US soil where they would need to be treated under US laws..
That was never going to happen because then the US could not continue to "illegaly" hold them without charges or a trial...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Even the democrat controlled House Armed Service Committee, back in May of 2010, prohibited relocating the detainees to anywehre on US soil. The Gitmo fiasco has never been anything more than talking point to rile up the antiBush crowd.

Could this be Obama's "Read my lips" Moment?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
reply to post by backinblack

Even the democrat controlled House Armed Service Committee, back in May of 2010, prohibited relocating the detainees to anywehre on US soil. The Gitmo fiasco has never been anything more than talking point to rile up the antiBush crowd.

Could this be Obama's "Read my lips" Moment?

Despite saying in his campaign speaches otherwise, Obama has not been shy in writing executive orders..
I note he doesn't feel the need to in the case of Gitmo..
That shows where the truth of his convictions lie..
edit on 20-1-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join