It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange surveillance towers in Chesapeake, VA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I've noticed that in Chesapeake, VA, the city has installed towers at most major intersections and in some cases, the middle of a block. These towers usually have an antenna, a small white box, and one of those black globe cameras. I've asked about them, but no one will respond to my emails or calls. Also city council never voted on funding for this program. No other cities in the area have these.

So is this a Federal program? Anyone have these in their area? What are they for?

Thanks in advance,
Aquarist

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarist

its a police state being slowly implimented! 2012 is almost here they gotta be ready!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

They are installing them and have been installing them all over Pennsylvania. Every intersection.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Time for me to buy a main battle rifle.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Moose318

I have not noticed any of these in the Pittsburgh area :O Only around downtown due to the G20.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pittsburgh
reply to post by Moose318

I have not noticed any of these in the Pittsburgh area :O Only around downtown due to the G20.
I don't know about Pittsburg, but I have noticed them in small towns

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Red light Cameras maybe?

PHOTOSafe Chesapeake
Red Light Photo Enforcement Program

The City of Chesapeake is authorized to monitor a total of 21 intersections by Virginia State Code guidelines of 1 intersection per 10,000 residents. Our City Council has approved the use of 20 camera enforcement systems. The process for selecting the intersections to be monitored includes
(i) the accident rate for the intersection,
(ii) the rate of red light violations occurring at the intersection,
(iii) the difficulty experienced by law enforcement officers in patrol cars or on foot in apprehending violators,
(iv) the ability of law-enforcement officer to apprehend violators safely within a reasonable distance from the violation,(v) pedestrian safety concerns.

As far as Pennsylvania goes there are a bunch of articles talking about the installation of cameras for either Red Light infractions, or CCTV in the style London uses them. I can't say I really care for the argument that all towns need security video surveillance. Seems too big brotherish to me.
edit on 20-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I know about PHOTOSafe systems, and yes, Chesapeake and Virginia Beach both have them. I've seen them before, many times. This isn't it. It's on a full size stoplight tower, not like a PHOTOSafe 8 ft pole. And it looks a lot different. That's my concern about these "things".
Other posters-interesting to know that other cities are installing these, I'm thinking this must be federal then.
And go ahead and arm yourselves, we need someone to shoot the camera lens.

edit on 20-1-2011 by Aquarist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

WiFi hotspots for city wifi?

Emergency signal changes for approaching emergency vehicles? Some type of AVLS for emergency vehicles that allow dispatch real time images of officers / EMS / fire for faster responses?

Next chance you get, snap a photo and post it. I am curious now.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Wouldn't be suprised if federally funded. You should do a DOT search to see if they let
you see live shots from them.

I've seen alot of new cameras going up in even the smallest towns where you can't really think of
any real good reason they would need them.

If not already, I'm sure pretty soon they'll all probably be tied into the fusion centers to track everyones movements with license plate reading software.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
WiFi hotspots for city wifi?
Emergency signal changes for approaching emergency vehicles? Some type of AVLS for emergency vehicles that allow dispatch real time images of officers / EMS / fire for faster responses?
Next chance you get, snap a photo and post it. I am curious now.

Hmm, now that's a possibility, an AVLS. I doubt the WiFi or signal changers, because they use Verizon air cards for their public safety and signal changers, well, I don't know about the camera. Next time I head over that way I'll take a few pictures and send them this way.

@ SnakeShot-I just did a search, and still to no avail. Can't find anything on VDOT's or Chesapeake's websites about this, or their feeds. Funny you said that, because I was thinking the same thing, a big brother license plate car tracker.
So they're in small towns, too? Maybe this is for FEMA ghettos?

EDIT: This is similar to what it looks like, except it has an antenna attached...

edit on 20-1-2011 by Aquarist because: Added Photo

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
These simply sound like the "traffic" cameras they implemented all up and down route 28 in the past few years as I too live near Pittsburgh. However I highly doubt these cameras are just being used to give tickets to tailgaters and to monitor traffic in hopes of keeping the horrendous roadwork which has engulfed it (Route 28 that is), just that much ...... lighter as they claim.

Simple answer and just what the masses want to hear. More likely answer Big Brother.
edit on 20/1/11 by TrowaBarton because: nm

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TrowaBarton

It is entirely possible they are traffic cams run by the engineering divison / DOT for the city state. We have those in my state where they can monitor traffic intersections for back and accidents. They take that info and push it out through the electronic highway signs to warn motorists of delays / accidents / backups so they can take an alternate route instead of being stuck in traffic.

The picture that was posted by the other person, you said it looked exactly like the photo but with an antannae attached to it. Dumb question, but does it have the PTZ cam bubble attached as well?

As far as wifi goes, what I was referring to is some citys have wifi hot zones in their downtown areas. Some of the equipment is mounted to the street lights / poles / traffic lights for better coverage and less interference than installing at groud level.

The only other thing I can think of is it might also be a working test for traffic control smart signals. Instead of using magnetic sensors in the ground, or the motion cameras, it "sense" the traffic at the intersection and changes the signals based on capacity instead of set times.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Contact your local news channel and see if they will investigate.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
they are red light camera's, they have them in my city now for about 2 years.. yes they work and you will get a ticket in the mail if you run one...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Yes, it has a dark-tinted PTZ camera bubble, a small box, and an antenna. And yes, the VDOT has those cameras, however their feeds are public, whereas these aren't. True, it could be some sort of light changing sensor, but it doesn't explain the few in the middle of a block.
@ Discover-They have PHOTOSafe systems, which are very different looking, and I doubt they have two different systems set up in one city. I will hopefully get a pic on here by tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
How about some pictures when anyone can.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Sounds to me like its traffic engineering cameras designed to monitor traffic flow. Not all of the traffic cams in my city are public access. Nothing sinister involved, has more to do with bandwidth and cost.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Here's a picture of the most recent tower that was put up:

And here's another pic of a sensor tower that was put up in the middle of a block:

Tell me your thoughts, guys.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Well I can tell you the tall towers with a camera mounted is probably used by your local DOT(Depart of Trans) in conjunction with local news affilates for morning/evening traffic reports... Not to much to worry about with those. They are high up there so that traffic along big stretches can be seen.

Honestly you need to be worried about the redlight cameras and the fact that municipalities are purposely changing the timer on the yellow light to getmore tickets to increase revenues.

As for the tower with the antenna, I'm just guessing because I know we have something like these here in my town, but that appears to be a (usually solar powered) radio commincation device that relays road conditions and temps to the DOT.
You know icy conditons, or slick conditions, bridge temp is...while road temp is...
edit on 22-1-2011 by OatDelphi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join