It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China claims they are number 1 and have overtaken the US

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
www.washingtontimes.com...

The article went on to boast how "China's emergence is increasingly shifting to debate over how the world will treat China, which is the world No. 1 and has overtaken the U.S."

A story like this does not appear by accident in the official Chinese Communist Party newspaper on the eve of a state visit to the world's (current) No. 1 power, the United States.

While Obama is bowing to China, the tightly controlled newspapers of China are saying they have overtaken the US and are now number 1. So why is Obama groveling to them when they are not showing the least bit of respect to the US?

(if this thread is already posted feel free to delete).

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I don't think it's surprising at all that the Chinese government says they're number 1. I don't think they would ever tell their people that they're worse than the U.S.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Did anyone watch the live debate or whatever they had? Didn't Hu stumble on his words when asked by Obama the progress they are making for human rights? China is not number one.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
number 1 in what exactly?
this sounds like a pretty clear cut answer...strongest economy, GDP...what area are they stating overall.

America is not number 1 in pretty much anything, be it education, crime, etc...

is this just a empty (we are number 1) slogan that all nations say, or are they pointing to anything in particular...

there are a billion of em, they might be saying they are number 1 in regards to native language (india may have issues with their claim there)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
:So why is Obama groveling to them when they are not showing the least bit of respect to the US?"

lol respect to the us for what ? giving china bogus i.o.u's in bonds ? if anything usa should be respecting china with all the fiat currency china keeps taking from the u.s .

Why would anyone in the right mind show the least bit of respect to big bad bully usa?

Only think i respect about the u.s is there consitution which is used as toilet paper by politicians today

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Followup:

The US is currently the strongest economy on earth, China is the second (they passed Japan by a hair).

The US has the strongest military on earth..but thats because we spend a jazillion bucks a year on it. Russia has the largest ground troops though (21 million).

the rest is up for grabs

the US will lose the economic power in time due to no real investment in science and innovation, and indeed China will overtake us. Depending on how long we ignore scientific achievement, the margain will grow wider and wider until we are basically just a useless consumer nation with no real industry or innovation to speak of.

I am glad China is taking their movement to become top seriously. They are doing some serious investments in scientific achievements and capitalizing on breaking technology. Watch personal robotics and medicine from the east,

I am sad that the west has chosen to collectively decline. I guess we are victims of our own ego and pride. This is not our governments fault, this is the peoples fault to choose corporations to run our interests over progressing as a civilization. We are now coming to the end of our time unless our whole mindset changes

and it won't.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Quite frankly I really don't care if they said they are number one or not. What difference does it make if someone says, or even believes it?
They probably are number one in many ways. With all of the things to worry about in todays world, this issue doesn't even make the stove at all, let alone the back burner.
edit on 20/1/2011 by withopeneyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
No way! The Chinese Government -- which, like most governments -- is overly concerned with "face" and making themselves look more interesting than they actually are -- are saying they are "number 1?" Because pretty much every country on earth engages in this kind of propaganda, including US.

But let's play a game, shall we? If we suddenly stopped buying cheap plastic crap from China, or oil from the Saudi's or the UAE, who would suffer first, and who would suffer best?

Those are the only numbers that actually matter. The rest is pigsqueal zooting.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Norway is probably number one in most aspects. Suck it China and America!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
By what measure? The US GDP is almost $15 trillion. China's is almost $6 trillion. It can't be GDP. Divide that into the number of people and you have a per person GDP that is far far lower than the US. Until China can figure out a way to get nearly a billion people out of poverty they are not going to be "number one" by any significant measure. Once again, hyperbole "wins" over facts. Where does the "Deny Ignorance" part come into play, please?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
China's got what? 3 major cities that aren't vile cesspool in a nation of over 1 billion?!

The U.S. hasn't been number one for a generation or so. China is certainly not #1 either. No nation is anymore. The bankers and corporations have usurped the sovereignty of individual nations, and THEY are truly numero uno.
edit on 20-1-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The answer your looking for is contained within your opening statement, He is bowing simply because they are the new number 1, accept it & we can move on.
Take sport for example, federer is no longer #1 & we dont see him or his fans grumble

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
People think the US is bad....

Ask them about THEIR distribution of wealth.

What about areas like but not limited to Aerospace tech, Missile tech, Military hardware, Power projection, Naval power, Over all Human Rights, Also who has an influence on their life's blood OIL, or Global homogeneity?

Just to name a few.

I like China though

edit on 20-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Goes to show we cant manufacture anything anymore really
let alone the land china owns here now, no thanks to corporate america. theyve sodl us all out and obama is on a leash , slaving n kissing ass to china. makes one wonder why REALLY american manufacturers outsourced to china...hey knew the power balance was gunna shift. and since its money, they laid thousand upon thousands off, and sold this country out to capitalism

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by withopeneyes
Quite frankly I really don't care if they said they are number one or not. What difference does it make if someone says, or even believes it?

The point is Obama is holding a lavish dinner for China while China is saying they are number 1 over the US. It would be like if Obama invited you to dinner and then you started talking bad about him behind his back, would he invite you to the next dinner? But for some reason though I think China will be invited back again.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

''If China becomes the world's No. 1 nation ... ."

That was the headline in the official newspaper of the Chinese Communist Party, The People's Daily, on the eve of Chinese President Hu Jintao's state visit to Washington.

link
emphasis added.

If China becomes ........

--------

They have a lot to do before then.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Lets just hope they do a better job of running the planet than America.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnze
Lets just hope they do a better job of running the planet than America.

We run the planet?? wow, no one told me..

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

In the national news, chinas economy has moved ahead of ours. We owe them billions, maybe trillions, our real estate market is crashing worse by the day. Their real estate market is going strong.Their exports are higher then ours They have grown in the middle class sector. Their education is much higher then ours. And this is just a few number 1`s they have on us.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Its fun to learn isnt it

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join