It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Social Network".......a review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
My local reviewer in the paper gave this one high marks. Not me and I usually like slice of life, semi doc. films.
I hated the dark, available light, out of focus, sloppy direction, shooting style. The script worked much to hard at being clever.
I could have cared less about the characters and imo Jesse Eisenberg did a halfassed acting job in this film.
This was the 2nd time for my GF to see this movie. She liked it and insisted I see it.
Trent Resnor did a great job with the sound trac though.

DVD rental if you just need to kill some time.

edit on 20-1-2011 by whaaa because: huh!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I liked it and I'm sorry you didn't.

I have to say, if you have any sort of Entrepreneurial spirit, that movie should be an inspiration to get moving. If not, well, then, its a pretty decent story. Zuckerberg can be a bit of an ass, but, he is still a genius and I appreciate genius where I can find it.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I watched it, didn't really dig it that much. It's too self serving for one, and quite deceptive on the other. They do make mention of the legal issues surrounding facebook, but only from 1 side. The basically ignored the fact that Mark did indeed steal the idea from the people who hired him to make it for them. Yes he modified it and ran with it, it's still pretty dirty what he did.

the acting wasn't great, but really, Zuckerberg is like Keanu Reeves, he has the stage presence of a piece of lumber, so it worked on that front. It failed to mention the start up money from certain government agencies as well. It failed to mention the concerted effort to get people accustomed to no rights or privacy what so ever.

I don't know, I just found the film self serving, the story of facebook is quite interesting, this movie was not.

Just my opinion though.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

Thanks for your response. I like to hear others take on the films I review, pro and con.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishybongwaters
They do make mention of the legal issues surrounding facebook, but only from 1 side. The basically ignored the fact that Mark did indeed steal the idea from the people who hired him to make it for them. Yes he modified it and ran with it, it's still pretty dirty what he did.

Did we watch the same movie? A big part of the story was the part where Mark stole the idea and tried to present it as his own.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I indeed saw the same movie, it was actually my first experience with Cinavia on the PS3, but that's another story. Yes, they did put that into the movie in an almost comical tongue in cheek way, they made the guys who actually created the idea look like rich useless morons while poor little Mark had to lie cheat and steal his way to fame. there's much more to the other side of the story than they made out. they made it seem like the guys had a vague esoteric idea, hired mark and it went no where so mark modified it and created facebook while keeping them on the hook.

The fact of the matter is those guys had a full plan for this, hired mark to code it, which he did, then instead of following through with his agreement, he launched it as his own product.

I'm not saying the kid isn't a genius, obviously he is, but I found the movie to be self serving. And timberlake as the napster douche just put icing on the cake. That may sound like an insult, but it's not, Timberlake did a great job playing the character that guy thinks he is.

From all indications, Zuckerberg is a sociopath.

Having said that, it's a movie, and relevant, and I would never advise someone to ignore the film, it's worth a view.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Hated it. Boring. Cliche. Zuckerberg not only was trying hard to be an ahole, he actually was one. And the Harvard twins were too.

And besides that, the real Napster works for Mark Wahlberg taking down big scores, so zero marks for historical accuracy.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The ending felt a litle...anticlimactic. Maybe it was just supposed to make you reflective of the whole movie before it. But Sorkin mentioned in an interview Mark was a tragic hero by the end of the movie as he tried to repair his reputation--especially with Erica. It seemed like Mark tried to do that earlier in the movie as well. I don't mean this as a big detraction; overall I thought the movie was very good.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This movie to me is just like Slumdog Millionaire was a few years ago. A movie that wins tons of awards and accolades as a great movie you have to see but when you do, it just seems overhyped and not nearly half as good as you were led to believe.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I thought Facebook was created by the C.I.A. to get tabs on all of us. Im sure some government group is screening Facebook for "Terrorists" among other things. It really would be the perfect tool.

Maybe this movie is just made up to keep the official story under wraps

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mistaken_mystery

My thoughts exactly. Besides I don't really care who invented that stupid website. To me Google and facebook, and by extension You Tube, are just firm fronts.

Facebook is so annoying. After I finish giving all my friends my yahoo email, I will close the account and never go back.

What next anyway ? A three hour epic saga about the formation of Urban Dictionary ?

EBAY the movie ???

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I thought the movie was rather boring, pretty much the history of facebook. This movie should have been named "facebook" instead.

top topics

join