It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration expanding use of Guantánamo Bay: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Obama administration expanding use of Guantánamo Bay: report

www.rawstory.com

Forget closing Guantánamo Bay -- President Barack Obama has reportedly green-lighted a plan to begin charges against new detainees at the controversial off-shore prison for the first time under his administration.

"The Obama administration is preparing to increase the use of military commissions to prosecute Guantánamo detainees, an acknowledgment that the prison in Cuba remains open for business after Congress imposed steep new impediments to closing the facility," the New York Times reported.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Awesome.

I wonder JUST HOW MANY PROMISES this guy can break to his voter base, before he retires, or is voted out.

Most unreal thing is he is purportedly seeing approval ratings RISE? Man, if that doesn't show just how much the populace is still completely ASLEEP, I don't know what does.

So let's see, despite his past rhetoric such as:

"It is important for us, even as we're going aggressively after the bad guys, to make sure that we're also living up to our values and our ideals and our principles," Obama said at the press conference. "And that's what closing Guantanamo is about -- not because I think that the people who are running Guantanamo are doing a bad job, but rather because it's become a symbol. And I think we can do just as good of a job housing them somewhere else."

Not only did he renege upon his own statements here, but he is now EXPANDING upon the very thing he supposedly condemned.

Same with his promises to end the Iraq invasion and debacle.

Meet the new boss, EXACTLY the same as the old one.

Oh, how quickly people forget...

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Meet the new boss, EXACTLY the same as the old one.

I'm telling ya' .... I see virtually no difference between the last two years of Bush43 and the first two years of Obama. I see rhetoric difference but pretty much no difference on substance and on fiscal irresponsibility. same ol' same ol'

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Well they gotta' put the dissenters against the govt. somewhere!! Who would realise they were imprisoned with Bin Laden's drivers!! Look out for the gas & torture chambers to be built next door!!!

edit on 20-1-2011 by john124 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I'm not gullible enough to believe all campaign promises, but closing a facility I thought was a simple enough proposition that I thought Obama would actually keep his promise.

Boy was I wrong. And now expanding it adds insult to the injury of the broken campaign promise.

I could actually understand a temporary need for Guantanamo, but for it to still be open and violating people's right to due process, is sad.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Welp. I've face palmed before and I'll face palm again but in this particular occasion I would undoubtedly knock myself out cold. How many times will this man spit in our face I wonder? How many?

I understand politicians break promises but this one was up there with the biggest promises. Not only is Guantanamo not closing but it is now expanding...

What happens in Cuba stays in Cuba (with expansion sets!).....

Of two things I am certain... Not only is this man a liar but he is a really good one.
edit on 20-1-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The never intended on closing guantanamo. My husband works in contsruction. The company he works for builds and refurbishes military housing communities...About 8 months ago he received a call from an ex co-worker, told him the company he is know working for is building 170 new houses at guantamino bay for the military units. to get them out of the tents. Think about it, to build that many houses insinuates there is no intension of closing guantanimo..

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Club Gitmo holiday resort .. Managed by the totalitarian states of amerika.. Where dissidence is allowed..

new topics

top topics

join