It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Ready For The Universal Internet ID That Barack Obama Wants To Impose On All Of Us?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

The Obama administration is developing a "universal Internet ID" program that would watch, track, monitor and potentially control your activity on the Internet. These "trusted identities" are being touted as a way to increase safety and security on the Internet and as a way to eliminate the need for dozens of different usernames and passwords. But is a universal Internet ID that is issued and controlled by the U.S. government really a good idea? Right now, Obama administration officials are trying to make it seem as non-threatening as possible. They are insisting that it will not be mandatory. They are insisting that it would be impossible for hackers to steal the universal Internet identities. They are insisting that none of our personal information will be gathered or used by federal agencies. But in light of how regularly the government has abused our liberties and freedoms in recent years in the name of "security", should we really believe what they are saying about this new universal Internet ID?

Perhaps to assuage concerns about "Big Brother", the Obama administration is proposing that the U.S. Commerce Department be the one to oversee these new universal Internet identities.

But how long do you think it would take for the Department of Homeland Security (along with several dozen other government agencies) to get involved in "administering" these "trusted identities"?

The potential for government abuse of such a system is absolutely staggering. As we have seen so many times over the past few years, when you give government bureaucrats an inch, often they end up taking several miles.

The video posted below is an excerpt from a CBS News report about these proposed universal Internet identities....

So what are some of the other potential problems of such a system?

Well, by creating a "master key" to the Internet for each and every individual, if it is lost or stolen you could literally lose everything you have worked so hard for in a single day. Imagine what could happen if a very evil hacker gained instant access to your bank account, your credit cards, your Paypal account, your email, your Facebook account, your Twitter account, your Ebay account, your Amazon account, your blogs, your websites and everything else of importance on the Internet that belongs to you.

Just imagine the damage that could be done....

Read the full text HERE

“Someday if you have to get a license from the U.S. government to read articles like this or to write articles like this, don’t say that you weren’t warned.”

You WILL NOT even to be able to find an article like this. Articles of this type will NOT exist!

This is a "wonderful" idea… Now they will be able to kick you off the internet just because you dared to have an opinion about something that they didn’t agree with. Not only that, but now they know where you live, how much is in your bank account, your medical history, etc.etc.etc…
This can only be used against us and our freedoms. This will NOT be good for anyone.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
they cant even keep themselves secured. i would not want someone to be able to easily steal my ID.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The government wouldn't be the ones actually implementing this, it would be the corporations (which IMO is worse) and apparently its already started:

tech.massivelinks.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Maybe this is a stupid question, but....what's the difference between this and an IP address?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
couldn't they just go by our mac address?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Maybe this is a stupid question, but....what's the difference between this and an IP address?

IP usually changes i believe MAC adress is a constant but i dont know if they are unique.
edit on 20-1-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
yeah thats rediculous...
everything is online these days so they might as well put a chip in us if they are giving government issued web id.

you'll go to log on one day and you'll get a message that says "Your account has been suspended for 30 days due to the following post on www.abovetopsecret.com: "The government sucks, rable rable rable!!!!"
Your account will be unlocked in 30 day, if you have any questions please wait 30 days then send an email to [email protected]
Have a nice month"

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by gougitousakusha

Few are aware that the proposed Universal ID to access the next generation Internet will be MANDATORY! In whatever form this ID finally emerges as, without it you will not be able to 'buy or sell', i.e., participate in the global electronic commerce system. The book of Revelations coming true right before your eyes!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I want my internet ID

I want my RFID

I want my Veri-chip

I want my National ID card

I want my retina scanned

I want my fingerprints and footprints

I want my social security # tattooed on my forehead

I want my DNA on file

I want it all so I'll be safe and secure, cradled in the hand of my Big Brother.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
there will be backdoors to an underground.

this is definite
edit on 20-1-2011 by gougitousakusha because: adding

link   
The true motive will never be evident at the beginning. I am yet to see a government regulation that didn't have an underlying agenda . We need to put a stop to ANY kind of control mechanism placed upon internet use !

link   

Dear Gougitousakusha,

IP addresses are, most the time, dynamic. Corporations etc.. usually have limited amounts of internet IP addresses. This was increased with IPv6. Home users are usually not assigned internet facing IP addresses but dynamic IP addresses.

MAC addresses are essentially unique, however very easy to spoof. A simple google search and a bit of tech know how and you can pretend to be anything you want MAC address wise.

Currently the only thing that could realistically tracked externally on the Internet is the ISP, and then they would be able to backtrack to find the user from their logs. That then brings in the law of the land and could potentially make back tracking different in every country. This kind of ties in with the whole torrent issues and individual countries and ISPs have totally different policies.

I would think that most of Europe would tell whomever to go take a hike and would invoke European Human Rights. Perhaps this will come down to a pissing contest between the various governments.

Regards,
T

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
“Someday if you have to get a license from the U.S. government to read articles like this or to write articles like this, don’t say that you weren’t warned.”

Ip and mac adrress you can mask.

But if to conect internet you have to have a license. I think you can say goodbye to your free speach.
edit on 20-1-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
First off, this has been "in the works" for much longer than "the Obama administration" has been around. The discussion and uncovering of facts would be much more productive for ATS and the world if this wasn't presented in such a blatantly divisive and political manner.

Aside from that, it's not the government. It's the corporations influencing and running the government, as usual, and as someone already alluded to and the government seeing the benefits to them, which I'm sure the lobbyists are going full-tilt and all-out touting.

Now if these greedy money-hungry corporations succeed in trying to harness the earning power of the "internet" for their gain and try to control us in this manner and this does go this mainstream after so many have tried and failed, it's going to become worthless as hell. With luck alternatives will start popping up...providers who go underground and don't ascribe to this crap. Looks like we're going to have to work on getting our own satellite and encryption geniuses. Or something. Somehow.

There might be opportunity here.

edit on 1/20/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by gougitousakusha
they cant even keep themselves secured. i would not want someone to be able to easily steal my ID.

Classic! Took the words out of my mouth....

Let's tell them we'll give them 10 years to prove to us they can keep secrets and confidential info then we'll think about letting them keep our info........ Prediction-----> they fail.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I wonder how far this will Isolate Americans from the rest of the world, since not all nations are going to push this, or be able to push this on their citizens no matter how hard the American Pres shouts..

From an outsiders perspective.. it really does feel like your being isolated, and I foresee more non US sites blocking America traffic just to ensure they are not roped into this mess.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Dear Russo,
Sorry I didn't respond to your OP: Nice find and interesting article!

As to the tech behind this, I think they would have to go about using some form of token granted by the ISP, or perhaps a header assigned to every packet you send. Again I am pretty sure the really techy savvy guys would rip this apart quite easily. I worked in Network Security for 3 years and there was very little that wasn't crackable, hackable or spoofable from my experience.

Maybe a three tiered 802.1x type environment, but again.. that's hackable. I'm going to do some digging into how they think they're going to implement this. Very interesting subject if you're a bit of a nerd =)

All the best,
T

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Mac addresses are not unique and IP address only change if they are dynamic. I have had the same ip here for 15 years.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

i under stand this now. TYs for clearing that up, this site is great for learning. so is everyone who wants to browse the web with this license gonna have to buy windows?
edit on 20-1-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by LanMan54

Few are aware that the proposed Universal ID to access the next generation Internet will be MANDATORY!

Do you have a source for that? Because from what I've read, it's NOT mandatory, it's for COMMERCE, and even then, you don't have to have one. How is that mandatory?

On Friday, Commerce Secretary Gary Locke and White House Cybersecurity czar Howard Schmidt ventured into the heart of Silicon Valley to announce plans for what some Web wags are already calling a “National Internet ID” but which proponents liken to an “online driver’s license.”
Schmidt, speaking at the Palo Alto event, denied that such an ID would be mandatory.

"I don't have to get a credential, if I don't want to," he said, adding he doubted that "a centralized database will emerge," and that "we need the private sector to lead the implementation of this."

Source

IMO, this is being pushed by the corporations who sell stuff to us over the Internet. I will not be participating.
I don't mind typing on my account information every time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join