It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shortage of O.B. Tampons Causes Rush, Boosts Prices Online

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Hello Everyone, I don't know exactly who here this effects, I knew must of us are pretty strong survivalist and have things figured out for ourselves and our daughters,,,, YES?

But am I reading this correctly
are there really women out there so,,,,,, attached to a product that they would go from store to store and if necessary pay as much as needed to inquirer this product
as much as $100.00

You be the judge here is the link: abcnews.go.com...
And here is a portion of the article for your enjoyment

The shortage of a popular brand of tampons has alarmed women who are so loyal to this most intimate of necessities that they have been willing to pay exorbitant amounts when they can find them online.

The disappearance of the o.b. brand tampons from store shelves has boosted prices on eBay to as much as $100 for a set of three boxes of 40 tampons. Boxes of the o.b. tampons typically cost around $8.

"I just figured that my store was out and hadn't been restocking them, but when I went to three or four more stores and realized those shelves were empty too, I was panicking," said Debbie Ronca.

Your choice of tampon is a very personal thing," explained Ronca, 42, who says she has been using the o.b. brand for more than 20 years. "When you've been using the same product for that long and it has never changed, it's a little terrifying to think about what you're going to do without that product."

OKAY!!!! This statement from a mature woman is a little nerve racking if you ask me ["When you've been using the same product for that long and it has never changed, it's a little terrifying to think about what you're going to do without that product."] The Word TERRIFYING,,, What's That All About,,

She would not want to know What I Used Growing Up In China As A Young Lady
, I think maybe she would Throw-Up or Pass Out or Even Go Screaming Into The Night

Different Culture I think!

Please feel free to bash me or what ever, I think these women or Spoiled and Need To Be Out in The Woods and Using a Hole to do their business in

MODS: I did a search and found no article and if I put in wrong location, Please move.
edit on 19-1-2011 by guohua because: Check my really bad spelling. Still learning English and Gramar.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Id wondered why my daughter came back from walgreens flipping out over tampons.. they must have been out due to the shortage! Im not joking either.
She made me drive all over to find them.. some women have a real tough time with change... especially when it concerns their nether-regions.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Because god forbid women use a tampon applicator

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

The most important thing is to be Clean and Sanitized.
I wish I knew how to make a link to that thread about women and our feminine needs when TSHF, That was a GREAT thread.
But I'm still bewildered about some one being willing to Pay So Much Money,,,, To Do What,,, Feel Good?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
Because god forbid women use a tampon applicator

Doubly bad if you're allergic to plastic. Or you want to be all ecologically sound and stuff.
( Do NOT mention the cardboard ones.. ever... a man invented that Im certain..)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I hate tampons. But surely there are brands other than OB? Or are people so brainwashed in the states that they can't use alternate brands?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua

The most important thing is to be Clean and Sanitized.
I wish I knew how to make a link to that thread about women and our feminine needs when TSHF, That was a GREAT thread.
But I'm still bewildered about some one being willing to Pay So Much Money,,,, To Do What,,, Feel Good?

Yeah I know.. its just such a silly thing. The real humor in this for me personally is my daughter is an Aspie.. high functioning autistic. Change is very very difficult. She was flipping the hell out over the tampons. I got her laughing about it and she'd keep saying " but can we go look at the 24 hour walmart?".. LMAO!

Id read an entire chapter on survival for women in a really practical ebook ( I will have to get on the other computer to get it here to share) .. and we need to do without pads and tampons which are disposable because they serve as superior wound dressings in a disaster situation
There are plenty of very great ways to handle that situation though, you are definitely correct.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Good find op...

Woman will not change brands most of the time willingly...

I got sent out shopping... just fun...

For a female roomate and a roommates girl friend...

I played it smart and tore off the lids of the brands they used....

I got to the store and had to ask the guy stocking it where these where... He was way more embarassed then I was...

He got upset when he tried to give me the wrong box (did not match lids). I WAS NOT going back without the right ones...

Thankfully a female heard our argument and came and got the lids from me. She got the tampoons from the back storage area. I payed the cashier and left with the products.

Some males have no idea how important this is to women...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkey_descendant
I hate tampons. But surely there are brands other than OB? Or are people so brainwashed in the states that they can't use alternate brands?

Yes, we are all so brainwashed here that we have NO right to prefer a superior product that has no applicator and absorbs in a more efficient way than the other brands and was designed by a woman. We all need to be deprogrammed Im sure.I mean its not like if all of your tea died and there were no more sources to buy it from and you were forced to use Lipton youd whine too much.

How about they CHOSE to prefer what they prefer. We still have that freedom so far. Me? I couldnt care less. I pray every day to get the hell over menopause. Teh husband says I need to just hurry up and do it. Im probably brainwashed concerning that too... I AM in the US after all...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ripcontrol
Good find op...

Woman will not change brands most of the time willingly...

I got sent out shopping... just fun...

For a female roomate and a roommates girl friend...

I played it smart and tore off the lids of the brands they used....

I got to the store and had to ask the guy stocking it where these where... He was way more embarassed then I was...

He got upset when he tried to give me the wrong box (did not match lids). I WAS NOT going back without the right ones...

Thankfully a female heard our argument and came and got the lids from me. She got the tampoons from the back storage area. I payed the cashier and left with the products.

Some males have no idea how important this is to women...

Youre a keeper.

Say.. are you single? Educated? EMployed?Good looking? I have this daughter, high IQ, a little quirky, 5'9" black hair and hazel eyes..... ....

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This is interesting because Johnson & Johnson had to recall an incredibly large amount of its products recently to due to faults in their cleaning procedures.

Johnson and Johnson Faults Cleaning Procedures In Massive Recalls

These guys aren't fessing up as to why this latest recall. Perhaps it's related to the above article. Or,another thing to consider, is the possibility that we're seeing a shortage due to recent spikes in commodities prices and/or shortages. The key materials in these tampons are cotton and rayon fibers. Cotton prices have soared and the cost to produce rayon may also be seeing an increase as oil prices are expected to surge.

Pretty much everything now days hangs in the balance here where crops and petroleum are concerned. Just my two bits,for what it's worth...
edit on 19-1-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: edit for content

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

you, sir, are a true gentleman and deserve a medal for valor.

and as for the card board applicators, i think it may be more comfortable to use #30 sandpaper instead :shudder:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

Im getting senile on top of everything else it seems.. you have a real point there I didnt even consider.
Cotton and petroleum prices should pretty well effect us in ways we hadnt considered.. or at least I hadnt considered! LOL!

BTW, Ive seen you around the boards.. LOVE your avatar.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Hello My Friend Advantage and her daughter, I hope you know I was not in any way making a reference to your dear daughter. I'm glad you made her laugh, That is Very Important!

I remember in the thread I'm thinking of, Most of the women talked of a Cup, very soft and pliable to be inserted.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the news

Reminds me of the Episode on Seinfeld Season 7 Episode 9 The Sponge

They were going to stop carrying a certain contraceptive sponge and Elaine goes all over the place looking for what ever is left winds up getting a case and starts "Are you sponge worthy?" with the guy she was with.

George 's girlfriend used the same type of sponge and couldn't get any

Jerry's girlfriend had case's of them stacked in her closet

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Hello My Friend Advantage and her daughter, I hope you know I was not in any way making a reference to your dear daughter. I'm glad you made her laugh, That is Very Important!

I remember in the thread I'm thinking of, Most of the women talked of a Cup, very soft and pliable to be inserted.

Lord no.. I was just chatting. I didnt take anything any other way than it was intended

Yes, Id seen that cup. Its called a DivaCup.. bought one out of curiosity. It seems like its a great idea.. mainly the cleanliness part, economic, and NO chance of TSS. I also saw these things called moon pads. I think they are made locally out here and theyre washable. Not ready to go there yet.. may take a SHTF scenario or me to consider it. My grandmother told me how it used to be done which is basically the way these moon pads were made though I imagine of nicer material than what used to be available.. and .. erm.. boy do I love living in this day and age and having the choice to be a lazy disposable product lover if I want to be!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

You are one of the Smartest Men I have Heard Of

My husband to this day won't even try that, he'd just walk in a grab and purchase and then look embarrassed.
The Coward, He can take a bullet and been knifed, but ask him to buy us PADS
OMG
he'd rather defuse a bomb

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misteriosa

you, sir, are a true gentleman and deserve a medal for valor.

and as for the card board applicators, i think it may be more comfortable to use #30 sandpaper instead :shudder:

Card Board Applicators

No, No, No, No,
The Pain, The Pain,,,,, OMG,,,,, The Pain, I feel the I've been raped with a corn cob

Actually, even a regular tampon hurts me very badly and I feel very uncomfortable.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

You are one of the Smartest Men I have Heard Of

My husband to this day won't even try that, he'd just walk in a grab and purchase and then look embarrassed.
The Coward, He can take a bullet and been knifed, but ask him to buy us PADS
OMG
he'd rather defuse a bomb

HAHAHA!! Same here.. big tough combat veteran marine..... scared of a tampon box.
We have 3 girls and gave up trying for a boy.. poor man is surrounded by girly things and estrogen. If we ever get a thread going about birth stories and goofy men..... I can always talk behind his back about his reaction when we had our last baby and the Dr asked him if he wanted to help deliver her. Even though I was having her natural I actually laughed out loud at his reaction.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join