It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Red-Hot Nuclear-Waste Train Glows in Infrared (COOL Pics & Protestors!!)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Heated Compartments

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/44fa8f5b6397.jpg[/atsimg]

Railroad cars carrying some 123 tons of nuclear waste glow red-hot in an infrared picture taken in Valognes (map), France, in November and released by Greenpeace International as part of an antinuclear-power campaign that included arranging protests that delayed the train's progress.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1327325b79cf.jpg[/atsimg]

The train is hauling a so-called CASTOR convoy, named after the type of container carried: Cask for Storage and Transport Of Radioactive material. These trademarked casks have been used since 1995 to transport nuclear waste from German power plants to France for reprocessing, then back to Germany for storage

Red-Hot Railcar:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/db443b89a03b.jpg[/atsimg]

A CASTOR railcar glows ominously in a thermal image, but the scene shows only that the cars' contents are warm, said Matthew Bunn, of Harvard University's Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs. "The decay of these atoms in the fission products from nuclear reactors releases a fair amount of heat, so [the canister] will look red" in thermal pictures. The CASTOR trains are always hot topics, Bunn added. "For people concerned about the whole issue of nuclear power and whether the disposal or storage of nuclear waste is safe, the trains provide an obvious political symbol."

Wheels on Fire:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b862f48529aa.jpg[/atsimg]

A nuclear-waste railcar glows red in a thermal image taken at a railway station in Valognes, France, in November. While the heat shown in these thermal pictures poses no danger, Bunn said, there are two potential problems associated with moving nuclear waste by train—safety and security. "The safety issue is what might happen purely by accident. The security issue is what would happen if bad guys try to make something happen."

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f45bef3dd10a.jpg[/atsimg]

Hundreds of antinuclear protesters gather near Hitzacker (map), Germany, to stall the progress of a nuclear-waste-carrying CASTOR train en route to nearby Dannenberg (map) on November 7.

Several thousand protestors blocked the tracks along the train's route, and hundreds of them had to be physically removed. Activists also chained themselves to the railway tracks, blocked a crossing in Dannenberg with a Greenpeace vehicle camouflaged as a beer truck, and even drove a flock of some 500 sheep onto the tracks.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fee54cfa0879.jpg[/atsimg]

Source: news.nationalgeographic.com...#/nuclear -waste-train-thermal-view-yard_31353_600x450.jpg

I'm not going to lie to you. My first thoughts were: No big deal... those protestors need to get jobs and a better life doing something else.

Then I got to thinking... Maybe the protestors are onto something. I don't think the Power that Be will let them get distracted much by the peons...

Look at the cops in the photo. I find it odd that they are wearing the same identifiers/numbers on their backs. Interesting. I would think they would display individual info for reporting purposes etc.

So, I have to ask. Any of our ATS members at this protest? If so, you got pics? Pleaes put them up and tell us of your experiences.

LOL the Sheep. LOl typical do-gooder thinking. Better than nothing I guess.

edit on 1/19/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
chain them selves to an active train line??? are they realy stupid or just to close to the waste? lol and the cars temp is at most just above 30 c if it was over 100 then we have a problem and the police just look like normal police in winter gear nice find

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
AWESOME

Thank you for this thread, it is good to see that some people are willing to chain themselves to railroad tracks in the name of peace and health.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Gee, causing a train loaded with nuclear material to be delayed by stupid people, in the name of safety and health?? Glad there werent any shady individuals with connections to terrorist groups that decided they couldnt have dreamed for a more oppertune target. Real smart there eco-nuts!
Real smart. i can only imagine what would have happened if some actual terrorists targeted a train like this. Hope those things are well protected! Or else those eco-idiots would have alot to explain for if a train they delayed, got attacked by terrorists.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I am glad to see that people are willing to chain themselves to railroad tracks for the entertainment of the masses!!!!!!!!

Where is the carnage???

Can’t wait for the after pictures!!!!!!!!

To see them sitting there when a train comes around the bend at 70MPH would be priceless!!!!!!

OWwwww The humanity!!!!!!

edit on 19-1-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Are you sure they're not simply trying to stay warm?

Yes yes, there are all sorts of alternatives to nuclear energy, but those thorium threads keep dying. None of the ptb's wish for the simplest solution, that of taking care of the ecosystem. So as the planet freezes, atmosphere thins, billions of cubic meters of methane fill the sky because of halliburton and their offshoots, they decide to, get this, tax us with politically motivated memes, such as 'global warming', 'climate change', while agitating the proles to comply, to turn in those who dare to burn some wood in their yard, or who speak contrary to the words of the folded faces arriving at their door.

Aluminum on the soil.....fracking of the water in the ground, which touches all the water, due to the commutative property of water, and they did the oceans as well, not just the gulf, since water mixes with water. Have they missed anything? Now listen for the energy signal that instructs you to not discuss. You won't have to look very far.

Maybe they're trying to stay warm, or just guarding the tracks against disrepair? I dunno.

Thorium

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
That last posting made no sense to me.

But they can run those cars up and down my driveway a few times to melt the snow.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
They don't want to use Nuclear energy..
They don't want to burn coal..
They don't want to burn oil..
They don't want to burn gas..
Solar panels are innefective and wasteful..
Steam power is to rare..
Hydro power kills salmon..
Wind turbines disrupt the birds migration and are a blight..

And yet I see them, these kids, using just as much energy as anyone else.. complete hypocrites. Bitching left and right about every possible energy source and yet doing nothing to curb their own usage.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Yes indeed. Bravo.

If you get a chance, try telling your thoughts to one of these protestors. I would love to see the stupid look on their face(s).

And, to the poster who indicated that it would/could be a great terrorist target with all of those students/people lying there.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
is there anybody out there working on safe ways to use nuclear energy to power our houses? Are tehre even any scientists out there working on this kind of research? I would imagine that the fact that the half lives of some of these elements are so long that we could use them for very long periods of time as energy sources....any words on that? thanks

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Wheels on Fire:

My apartment is warmer than that.

Yeah, no sensationalism here...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Well, there is a difference.

The heat you noted that is in your appartment was generated and sent there by some system (as in most cases anyway).

That heat was created.

The heat signatures from the "nukes" is IT's heat/energy by itself. Creating the heat-just sitting there. So, there is a difference.

And, why do you think the protestors are there? I am pretty sure they believe it is a big deal.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by punctual

Nuclear power is safe.. when maintained.

The issue is where to store the waste. Europe wants to build new containing sites and put odd structures (like giant spikes) to warn future generations.. America wanted at one point to launch it into space.. except our tendency to blow up our ancient shuttles means nuclear waste in the upper atmosphere...

Personally I suggest dumping it all into south african gold mines.. deepest mines on earth, below the water tables, and inhospitible anyways.

But all energy sources have side effects, even wind turbines cause migrains for those that live around them, and power lines in general are linked to cancers and autism in kids..

But as I say, no ones interested in less usage.. every year a new device comes out to add to our piles of crap that consume energy in some way..

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

My bad anon I made the same thread lol I will link your thread into mine so you can get the traffic..

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
esciencenews.com...

Nuclear waste glows red-hot in new thermal pictures of a controversial European train. But does that mean it's dangerous?

NO you TWIT!!!!!!!! The only thing dangerous is your stupidity! Your stupidity burns brighter than the fires of the sun it’s self!!!!! It burns man!!!!!!!! It burns!!!!!!!!!!

And notice that he doesn’t leave a way for you to comment. No one can get on there and post a reply stating that he is a total idiot. That is what a lot of enviro web sites do. The only thing the unknowing visitor sees is that question and he is left with that naging question in the back of his head where it festers and grows into distrust.

www.theatlantic.com...

Still, it looks ominous

Give me a break! If this article isn’t a blatant attempt to stir up distrust with absolutely zero facts to back it up, I don’t know what is!

That is what I see time and time again with environmentalist websites and news reports. They work at slowly sewing seeds of distrust in our mushy little heads. The first one you read will not do the damage, but after you read the same general line from hundreds of different news outlets, all singing in unison, then you start to believe it no mater how lacking they are in evidence to back it up.

They feed you ominous questions with no answer. They leave you to fill in the blanks with your own limited knowledge. And they preposition the question in such a way that the question is predisposed to an answer. As Rush has stated, don’t accept the preposition. They are trying to guide your thinking process make you think they way they want you to. If you accept the preposition, they have won!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

No problem buddy.

Have a good day.

So, what do you think about all of this?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

I forgot to add that the heat from the nuke material is generating that heat just sitting there. Not created. And will be that way for what.....50,000 years. (I maybe incorrect in the years-but I think you know what I am saying).

Not to mention Radioactive.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
OK - so they determined that radioactive waste keeps itself a bit warmer than ambient temperature. Congratulations - they just demonstrated the first law of thermodynamics!

Wind turbines are a joke .They are a bloody expensive symbolic shamble for any real R&D into a real solutions. They ignore the obvious - hydrogen - citing the expense, because in the long-term it would be so cheap they could never make money from it. As it is oil is driven by the fact it is a restricted supply. They can hardly argue the oceans are running dry.

In December, all the wind turbines in the UK collectively generated a mere 6% of the energy they were capable of producing. January isn't looking any better. The long term average (that GW proponents love so much) shows that all wind turbines collectively produce a mere 8% of the energy they are supposed to.

Wind power is therefore the biggest, most expensive waste of time ever, and to argue there is no environmental impact is laughable. First there is the noise issue (which I personally don't agree with having been to several wind farms over the years just to look at them), then there is the ground vibration (which IMHO is actually the real problem that people are experiencing - they produce a very low frequency noise which I do not doubt exists, and is transmitted via the ground to buildings and other structures). This vibration will also affect wildlife, and ourselves (even if we are consciously unaware of it).

Nuclear is far from environmentally friendly - radiation kills and causes defects in DNA - the very essence of life itself - so to say it is not harmful is pure and utter BS. Let's not mention cancer clusters around nuclear power plants. With the best will in the world, they couldn't build containment thick enough to stop it being a problem.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

I like what you wrote about Wind power etc. I got into a discussion about that not too long ago as we rode past an area that has 5 hugh wind turbines but with a lot of room for more of them etc.

The question was asked by me... if they are so good etc, why aren't there more of them? If they can be a huge answer to our energy problems, why aren't they everywhere?

Why can't people put them up at their homes-unless they meet certain criteria, one being they DON'T have too many? How many is too many?

Thank you for your input. You got me thinking.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Wheels on Fire:

Wheels on fire rolling down the road!

Is it just me or is anyone else feeling 37.5°C under the collar?

Really so long as radioactive material is enclosed in a container and the only radiation leakage is something like the heat of of my underwhelmed but perfectly proportioned physique I couldn't be more underwhelmed.

It's people like this that chain them selves to rail tracks

top topics

<<   2 >>

join