It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well it's official..........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I can finally say that I am now officially part of the unemployed and hopeless.

As of 1pm today the announcement was made that my company, a large credit provider that sounds a lot like SCAMEX, will be closing down our operating facility, effective within the next 90 days.

Due to changing demand in the credit and servicing field (i.e. jobs being sent to f***ing Mumbai and Bombay) our center, which has been the backbone of the community for over 20 years, is now no longer economically viable, and as such no longer required.

Even though this will be the third company that I personally have worked for that has shut its doors, this one is especially difficult to swallow. In a horrible economic environment where it is already near impossible to find a job with a decent paying wage, especially in my area where I live, this comes as a death blow for many families who will be impacted horrifically.

I put this into the "people" category, as opposed to the rant section intentionally, because today my heart and my mind are not as focused on my own grave situation so much as it is on the 3,000 plus people who will be let go. People with children, with mortgages, people who's lives will very soon be torn apart. I haqte it for the community and for the great people I have known who have been so kind and generous to me.

As of now I am still in shock and I honestly have no idea what is going to happen to me. I dont expect any sympathy or any consolation by writing this. I am just in a seriously frustrated and upset state of being at the moment and I needed to vent and put this all into words, if for no other reason, to help myself understand.

Things are about to get a whole lot harder

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Man Blackops... Sorry to hear this dude! But, welcome to being a 99'er! I've been out of work for awhile now with no hope in sight.

I wish you the best of luck in finding another job. But, should things get bad, here is a link to resources that exist to help those of us caught in this crunch.

Various resources for the unemployed.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
My apologies for you, being unemployed, and edpecially the way it happened to you is quite upsetting.
This happened a few years ago in my area as well, I worked in collections and another lending company that rhymes with, ok It was Sally May, closed down a huge office and sent over 100 workers walking. Luckily they all received severance which bought them time to find new jobs, but still disheartening nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

At least you've got 90 Days I got made redundant a Few months back with only a few hours warning, Even though it was in my contract that i was to be given 3 months notice

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I'm really sorry to hear that!

The company I work for is being sold to, but we have no idea when we will be officially cut. It sucks and I wish you the best of luck in finding a new job.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I'll give you my sympathies anyway. My company moved South back in 08. It is a shame that so many of us have had to lose good jobs. Some people say that things are getting better.
Yeah, where? Yet still we allow illegals to hold jobs.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
I dont expect any sympathy or any consolation by writing this.

Expect it or not you have my sympathy ... I wish I knew what to say to provide consolation, if I did you would have that too.

You've always been a voice of reason and support on ATS, I imagine you are the same way in real life, as such karma dictates you will land on your feet ... should she fail in her duties I shall engage her in some gentle arm twisting on your behalf.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

As of now I am still in shock and I honestly have no idea what is going to happen to me. I dont expect any sympathy or any consolation by writing this. I am just in a seriously frustrated and upset state of being at the moment and I needed to vent and put this all into words, if for no other reason, to help myself understand.

Things are about to get a whole lot harder

Been there and done that and I really feel for you. Hopefully you can look back on this in a few months and be glad that it happened, but for now, just try and put things in perspective. I know that you can't see any upside to this at all and that's ok, at least you do have some time to prepare. Not much I know but it's something.

I wish you the best..

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Thanks to all of you who offer sound words of advice and encouragement. I am still a bit in shock and more than a little discouraged, but after having spoken and communicated with many of my colleagues and friends who are facing a much worse situation than myself, I feel fortunate that I only have myself to worry about.

There will be a 16 week severance package that seems generous enough, as well as an opportunity for some who are willing to transfer to a different location.

Here are the location options -

Pheonix, AZ

Ft Lauderdale, FL

Salt Lake, Utah

Anyone live in any of these areas who can shed some light on the city, local culture, economy etc?

Any advice would be appreciated. And again thanks to you all, I really do mean that.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Here are the location options -

Pheonix, AZ

Ft Lauderdale, FL

Salt Lake, Utah

I do believe our own SkepticOverlord is in Phoenix, and some cool lights at nights...

Ft. Lauderale, hey what can be wrong with there...

Salt Lake City....ever see Big Love?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

I dont expect any sympathy or any consolation by writing this.

Expect it or not you have my sympathy ... I wish I knew what to say to provide consolation, if I did you would have that too.

You've always been a voice of reason and support on ATS, I imagine you are the same way in real life, as such karma dictates you will land on your feet ... should she fail in her duties I shall engage her in some gentle arm twisting on your behalf.

Thanks SD, I hope you are right. I appreciate the encouragement just the same. Just one of those obstacles that life throws out there for you to overcome. I will get by with the help and support of friends and family, just as I always have.

The world is offering lemons, so now is time to add tequila

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Just saw this thread...

Sorry to hear this news for both you and your community, bud!

Pheonix, AZ

Ft Lauderdale, FL

Salt Lake, Utah

We obviously don't know each other that well, but based on your current location, and my perception of your "likes," I'm calling Ft. Lauderdale, FL ... AZ is landlocked and hot and Utah is landlocked and cold.

Unless you are in for a total change; which can be good from time to time...

At least enjoy your time off, and don't eat that worm at the bottom

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the info. It has been a crazy couple of days. The impact from this closure is anticipated to be so great on the community the governor of the state of NC is sending in counselors and relief help.

I have seen a lot of sad faces over the last few days but also a lot of strong will and comraderie. Some broke down, some have pushed on with a stiff lip, others have bonded together closer. We still have to finish out the next 90 days, so the company expects everyone to carry on business as usual, otherwise people will lose their severance compensation. Wierd to to say the least, but sometimes blessings come in disguise.

Right now I am contemplating either a move to Pheonix, which I have now found is my only option for transfer due to the specific nature of my work. Or take the severance of 16 weeks, ride the unemployment train and get started on finishing my masters degree in the summer. Right now the odds of finding a comparable job anywhere locally are a laugh....not gonna happen.

I am in the process of reinventing myself. At the ripe age of 34 I am damned determined to get myself into both excellent mental and physical condition, and whatever I decide I am looking to improve as opposed to taking a step backward.

I am realizing that life, if left to its own devices, will consistently suck and let you down hard. It is up to us as individuals to forge our own happiness and success in this world.

Cheers to all who cared enough to comment

edit on 1/21/11 by BlackOps719 because: speeeelin

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
sorry to hear that, hope u hv found some way to solve it..

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Hope things have improved since your last posting. At least you have a severance, that's more than most have these days. Here's to hoping you find something even better in the very near future!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks for the well wishes Gaz.....after a long and painful selection process I have decided against moving to Florida or Arizona, and will instead stay put in North Carolina, take the severance and finish up my masters degree.

Im still young enough that going back to school makes sense, since I will probably be working til Im 70 or more (only 34 now) and Im also old enough to know that any future success in this crazy world is going to hinge greatly upon experience and education.

I have the experience, now I just need the remaining education.

It has been a tough learning experience and for a while I really felt down in the dumps about it all, but Im trying to keep positive and do the best I can with what I have available.

Cheers

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

BlackOps719, If staying in N. C. is what you want to do, then it's your choice, Phoenix is a Very Large and Spread out City, many different cultures, but mostly Hispanic anymore.

Of-Course if you can take the Heat in thre summer time, the housing market is in such a Dump you can get a very, very, very nice home for next to nothing now.
Their selling home in Carefree area and Scottsdale area with their own plane garage and taxi way to the runway for a song.
www.aviationacres.com...
202 S. Stellar Parkway, Chandler, Arizona

www.thirtythousandfeet.com...
azairparks.com...
azairparks.com...
azairparks.com...

But you have the heat in the summer and leaving your Air-Conditioned Home to the a/c garage to the a/c car and the walk to your job, of-course in an Air-Conditioned Building. During your weekends, you lay in your pool that does not require a heater. On Friday night at 0300 am you can be swimming, because in July it'll still be 105 degrees out side.

Phoenix in the Winter Time, Our coldest month has one week of 35 degree weather, the rest of the time it's sunny and 50 or 60 degrees.
It's expensive to live here, car insurance is higher and gas is $3.39 for unleaded at Sam's Club or Costco.
Great fishing and boating and skiing and going to Flagstaff in the winter for snow that's a 2 hour drive or Las Vegas to see the shows and gamble.
You can always go into California, I'm not sure why you'd want to, but you can.

edit on 14-3-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

The job market here in Florida sucks...especially with this new Governor killing off potential jobs, like refusing billions in a government grant for a high-speed rail line...., so yeah, wouldn't recommend the relocate.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

The job market here in Florida sucks...especially with this new Governor killing off potential jobs, like refusing billions in a government grant for a high-speed rail line...., so yeah, wouldn't recommend the relocate.

Well I had a job guaranteed, but man the cost of living in Broward county is off the chain. A bunch of people I work with who are also considering FL took a trip down last week and none of them had much good to say about the greater Ft Lauderdale area.

The general consensus was "expensive and dirty". I have been there before and enjoyed my stay, maybe it had changed since 2004?

I have been thinking of moving to Florida for a couple of years now, but I am more interested in the western side, maybe Tampa, St Pete or a little further south around Ft Myers.

We will see how things look after I finish up with school.

top topics

join