It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Hides and Secret Entrances

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

that's true, but most people don't want to spend too much time building things, when they haven't got the time or experience..this was the reason for just simply hiding a minivan that was complete, other than covering it over with simple modifications, and using their imaginations while doing it.

you want your hide. concealed, comfortable and absolutely dry with plenty of ventilation if at all possible. and quickly completed

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleIndianJr.

Excellent and yes Ive seen similar setups with ..huh huh...hides

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

I agree...cheap and easy are good. However, after rereading your post...dragging a minivan to a ravine...leveling it...then basically burying it...or covering it with sandbags you filled....

seems my offering would be cheaper, simpler, less labor intensive, and ultimately better hidden using tha natural terrain to your advantage.

But hey... its all good, man. You got your dig and I got mine.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
How about shipping containers buried underground? They could be connected to form underground mansions or towns, properly insulated they would be like a faraday cage, they offer plenty of room, they are extremely strong.

If you just dug into the side of a hill you could use one as a garage and then another for your house.

Not cheap however but durable

Just the beginning of what i think might be a great thought

Jr.
edit on 20-1-2011 by LittleIndianJr. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleIndianJr.
Just finished wathing the movie "RED" (good movie by the way) and i thought i might share the hide in the movie...

They have an old Chevy Bel Air sitting in the woods and he opens the hood and voila a staircase into a huge cement dugout... Not real cheap but I thought it was an excellent idea to conceal the entrance. Maybe you could bury a mini van then pull the old junk big bodied car onto the top of it and BAM not only are you hidden but with a little bit of paint you look good hiding

Not a good idea. Any junk car left in the woods would be raided for parts in short order.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Good point it was just an idea to hide the entrance

Jr.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish
This is probaby a great idea for you to look into.

Its a concrete tent type thing that takes 40 minutes or so to put up, comes in a bag, you simply add water and da da. One bullet proof tent. It takes 12 hours to harden.

I'd seen it on a program called Dragons Den here n the UK. It's now used by the Red Cross

I suppose you could then burry it

news.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 19-1-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-1-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

Thats pretty cool. You could do the same thing with rebar and stucco wire and spray or trowel the cement on. Look up ferro cement tanks and houses. I am working on a design for a ferro cement home that could be built for a fraction of the cost of a conventional home with all the bells and whistles.

You build the frame out of rebar and wire mesh and coat it with concrete. They make everything from water tanks and swimming pools to boats with this.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleIndianJr.

i actually have a buddy that spent 10s of thousands on exactly what you are describing, but unfortunately hes ended up bringing others into the fold because he ran out of money and the whole thing has went south...great idea but you really only need one 40fter with the proper drainage

edit on 20-1-2011 by anumohi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I favor private junkyards. They are common in rural Texas (one for every 4 or five farms). They are mostly metal, and so a metal detector cannot find various buried objects like gun caches or bullion.

Nobody has ever dug a pit with a backhoe in an old tractor-trailer graveyard; even if they had, nobody would have gotten old trailer ramps (for loading a backhoe) and used them on the edge of the pit to prevent cave-ins. And no one parks an old trailer over the open pit, so the contents cannot be seen by overhead satelites.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I have been trying to find good ways to build underground bunkers "hole or den"
I would like to find out the best way to build tunnels.
like the ones in Vietnam.
one very good and from WW2 is the Anderson shelter.
google it
just some corrugated iron sheets.
dig a hole put it in and fill it. like the van.
what you could do is add more vans later.
and build link tunnels. best to have a second exit.
just a small tunnel, that you can not use to get in.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I always wanted to bury a fully loaded operational T72 Russian tank. build a 30x40 metal building, then go in with a loader and remove all the soil from the inside of the building so the satellites couldn't see what i was up to. then sneak the tank in under tarp and bury in gravel under heavy plastic and sealed. hatch in from an air compressor slab.

if push ever came shove I'd have a nice meal for them to suck on.....drive the bastard right up out of the gravel if they got too nosy and feed them

edit on 21-1-2011 by anumohi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Some real good ideas here, I really like the idea of a water tank, especially if you can grab some tax dollars back from it!

I've often though about burying a shipping container or something similar underground but.... my biggest concern is rust. I've heard they rust out pretty badly. How would you deal with that? If you were to use maybe a concrete pad and walls around it, why bother with the shipping container?

All in all some excellent ideas and I'm enjoying reading this post and seeing what ideas come out.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Fimbulvinter

At gas stations when they bury a fuel tank the connect it to a zinc rod at a distance from the tank. The electric 'circuit' prevents the transfer of electrons involved in iron oxidation; in other words, the bar oxidizes, instead of the fe-based tank.

The process is called "cathodic protection".

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

At gas stations when they bury a fuel tank the connect it to a zinc rod at a distance from the tank. The electric 'circuit' prevents the transfer of electrons involved in iron oxidation; in other words, the bar oxidizes, instead of the fe-based tank.

Much like they do on ship's hulls. Shoulda thought of that one, nice one!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
You could use one of those truck covers (like people put on the back of a truck to give it a roof) to make a small hide for stowage or a small place to sleep, using a heavy tarp for the floor and the open end as the entrance.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

oh absolutely

that would make a perfect sniper hide and you could even dig a fox hole under it in the even you needed to get even lower to blind any thermal or if someone was trying to shoot inside your position

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

but could that be done cheeply and with out harm to the person inside and will a generator be needed? would thick layers of paint keep the metal from rusting? i think i will start experementing with paint and sheets of steel, if it doesnt work duz anyone have any other ideas on rustproofing shipping containers?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mindfreak21

That won't harm the person inside. Painting it ism also a good idea, So i think your best bet is all the above..

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleIndianJr.
How about shipping containers buried underground? They could be connected to form underground mansions or towns, properly insulated they would be like a faraday cage, they offer plenty of room, they are extremely strong.

If you just dug into the side of a hill you could use one as a garage and then another for your house.

Not cheap however but durable

Just the beginning of what i think might be a great thought

Jr.
edit on 20-1-2011 by LittleIndianJr. because: (no reason given)

Shipping containers have 2 major flaws. First they corrode quickly when in contact with wet earth so they need to be protected. Secondly they don't do well with a lot of dirt on top of them, they are designed to take loads only on the edges so they need to be reinforced with concrete. The couple of ones i've seen had so much concrete around them I had to ask what the container was for then.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join