It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comcast Wins Regulatory Approval for NBC Deal .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Comcast Wins Regulatory Approval for NBC Deal .

online.wsj.com

WASHINGTON—The Federal Communications Commission and the Justice Department approved Comcast Corp.'s deal to acquire control of NBC Universal from General Electric Co. on Tuesday, setting the stage for the cable giant to complete its acquisition shortly.

The Justice Department, which examined the deal for potential antitrust concerns, weighed in shortly after the FCC gave its approval, filing a proposed settlement with the parties in a Washington, D.C. federal court.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The total control continues. Are we really going to sit by and watch Comcast take over a news network? Are going going to stand by and watch Comcast slowly destroy the cometition, becoming the only way to watch television?

The Answer is: Yes.

Sorry, but I see a lot of complaining and zero action. Comcast has been an unstoppable beast for far too long, and I don't see the public knocking them down or dividing them up. Regionalization is not equal to competition.

Call up Comcast in Washington, call them in Texas. Different phone numbers don't mean different corporations.

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I have filed a couple complaints with comcast in the past! I have switched to Verizon about 6 months ago!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

I'm not a fan of Comcast, but then I'm not a fan of NBC or GE (Podesta -- lobbyist).

It doesn't change the fact that all our Mainstream Media is controlled by giant corporations.

We will see if this changes the quality of NBC, CNBC, or MSNBC.

SeaWind

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
you guys are crazy if you think comcast is worse than GE.

comcast is in my opinion the least tyrannical when it comes to cable companies.

they also have gone to semi-great lengths in the past to not prosecute its customers, unlike AT&T.

when p2p and file sharing was first introduced on a mass scale, comcast was certainly on the side of its customers vs. the side of a pressuring record industry. pretty much every other company would cave in under pressure at the first cease and desist order.

i always thought their cable interface was slow and could have been a lot better, but at least they didnt help the nazi's in ww2.
edit on 18-1-2011 by RelentlessLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

I was under the impression as part of the aqgreement comcast had to continue allowing comptitors to broadcast NBC items in addition to the online news media. There was one other stipulation I am forgettting, but essentially Comcast gets 51% of NBC and is required to support their compteitors so a monopoly does not occur.

new topics

top topics

join