It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass fish deaths at Jervis Bay

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Dirty water leads to fish deaths

THE smell of hundreds of rotting Murray cod hangs over the banks of the Murray River. Ten billion litres of environmental water will be released into the lower Goulburn River in a bid to clean up the river and protect native fish, the Department of Sustainability and Environment said yesterday. But locals say the move is too little too late.

www.adelaidenow.com.au...

But Ms Ross said authorities had acted too late. "The black water has wiped out the Murray River, all the fish are dead," she said.

This one is apparently black water created by the floods

Nature gone wrong...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz

Originally posted by punterdeb

Originally posted by 12voltz
reply to post by punterdeb

st georges basin is not connected to jervis bay.

Maybe not on the surface ,but.It could be connected underground. Its summer ,so are people swimming there ?
I just dont know whether all these fish kills are being over reported and that is feeding the whole situation.or there is something else going on .

they are not connected. end of story.

and yes there are thousands and thousands of holiday makers there at the moment. which only leads to more questions.....why are the fish dying and not the people?

one last thing. i dont think its being over reported. why would a credible site like rsoe suddenly put up a specific list of "mass die off's" if this occurs all the time? and also i know jervis bay. very well in fact. grandparents had a caravan on site at huskisson for over 20 years. spent every holiday/weekend there for years and years. its pristine. a national park in fact. i have never ever witnessed what has happened down there before. and that time period i can vouch for goes back to the 70's.
edit on 18-1-2011 by punterdeb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
i hear one theory and that is this is a natural thing and nature does it... and then followed by oh well we are in a new age where you can find out anything in a moments notice....

ummm.. afraid to say but we've been living in that stage for more than the past two months i'm quite sure we've had AT LEAST a decade of being able to do that.

ever since we've been able to communicate at the speed of light i have yet to ever wake up on a daily basis to find out one or more animal MASS DEATHS happened. i would say on average in the last two months we have had 2-4 completely separate events of animal deaths in multiple quantities in completely different regions ON COMPLETELY SEPARATE CONTINENTS every single DAY.

if there were any logical explanation for this whatsoever it would be the BP oil spill, and even that is a huge stretch.

idk and honestly idc if you believe in God, but one thing is for sure this is bad this is VERY BAD. at first it was just birds and fish now its trees and cows and Lord knows what else. i can't believe people are still letting this roll off their shoulder like nothing strange is happening. show me that 2-4 cases a day of animal deaths is the norm and i'll calm down

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Hundreds of dead fish 'a natural occurrence'
January 4, 2011

SARNIA, Ont. - Hundreds of dead fish that washed up on shore in the north end of the St. Clair River is a natural occurrence and not the result of a chemical spill, a government officials say. Ministry of Natural Resources spokesperson Jolanta Kowalski confirmed that both the MNR and environment ministry were alerted to a massive die-off of gizzard shad fish late last week. “We think it’s a natural occurrence,” Kowalski said. “They died off as a result of temperature shock because we had that really warm weekend ... and then it quickly cooled off again.” Kowalski said such die-offs are not unusual but it typically happens in the spring. Only one species was affected, further supporting the idea it was a natural occurrence, she said. “There was nothing to indicate that it was man-made.”

www.torontosun.com...

They 'THINK" it was natural. They had a warm weekend and then went back to cold and that 'temperature shock' killed one species?

I really doubt water temperature is effected that quickly because of a mild weekend. Had those every year in Canada.

What the hell is the matter with these 'experts'? Seems they have lost all touch with reality

:shk:

Here is another one..

UPDATE: Dead birds on bridge is a natural occurrence

The Corps of Engineers office at Lake O' the Pines says they are not exactly sure why this happens, but it appears likely the birds are walking or roosting or flying on and around the bridge and many of them probably get hit and killed by motor vehicles.

The American Coots, which roost under the bridge, are prey for eagles and spook easily. When spooked they fly out from under the bridge in large masses, which explains why such a large number birds could be hit at one time.

www.ktre.com...

What a load of crap. These guys actually get pay checks?

They can't just pony up and say "WE DON'T KNOW"?
edit on 18-1-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

so... do we think TPTB are behind this? wouldn't this be a great way to put some kind of climate regulation? the only thing i know is it's not natural. someone or something has to be behind this. i'm not gonna run for the hills and scream end of the world, but something is amiss and i hope it doesn't take hindsight to figure out what.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
It was reported (Channel 9 local news (South Coast and Illawarra) at 6:30 on Jan 19th for those who know how to check televison archives) that tests done on the water showed normal oxygen levels (as in no red algae suffocation) and low/normal levels of pollution.

A lot of people don't know, but a lot of these deaths occured in and around the Jervis Bay Marine Park, (and I believe there is also some kind of breeding estuary nearby as well), so the numbers may not be as catastrophic as they appear.

The main theory being put forward at the moment is that something, possibly another kind of algae is attacking the gills of fish, as

no signs that seabirds or marine mammals have been affected
and

no crabs dead, calamari, or cuttlefish
are among the dead whereas

flathead, whiting, mullet, luderick, catfish, damsel fish, old wives, ling and an angel shark
(Daily Tel)

groper, flathead, stingrays and sea horses
(sott) have all been found dead or dying.

South Coast Register
abc.com.au
Sott

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join