It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police State - Woman Targeted by Nebraska Police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I feel for this woman. Over 20 police and several fire trucks responded to a call from a man that their neighbour was shooting a bow and arrow in his back yard which in itself is not illegal. Her husband ends up getting arrested and put in jail with allegations of assaulting the police when they actually assaulted him. The police also try to claim that they are neglecting their child for not having enough food and heaters in the house. Again more fictitious allegations. Her husband is still in jail while she seeks legal advice.

Examiner article

Mrs. Shaw told me that she has retained an attorney and is filing a complaint against the police department. "My name and my husbands name is being slandered in our local newspaper and even on some of the comments on my video. This is a hard thing to go through knowing that your family is innocent," Shaw said. She added "the police here have put a lot of slanderous information about me in the newspaper. Trying to say that the only food in my house was a bowl of rice, some dried beans and some chicken bones. And that I only heat my house with 2 space heaters. This is all untrue. I even had a CPS worker come to my house and talk to me and he didn't understand why he was there. And really if that was the truth the police would've taken my daughter from me right then and there. They still aren't telling people that they took my computer and digital camera when they did their search." Continue reading on Examiner.com: Wife who filmed arrest is targeted by police after crossbow melee - Los Angeles LA County Libertarian | Examiner.com www.examiner.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste1001

This is why it is extremely important to protect the rights of citizens to video tape cops when they are in the wrong and also extremely important to maintain censorship free access to the internet.

30 years ago both these people would have been rail-roaded, the child taken, and damned few people would have ever heard of it!

S&F!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I will reserve judgement here until I watch the 20 minute video....wow thats long....

I have found that usually it is the CPS divisions that are in the wrong, and when the police are called in, the CPS workers become the target.

Perhaps since the police called in the CPS, its a differnent story.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
In this case the CPS worker found nothing wrong and actually questioned why they were called.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
[SNIP] Stasi plain & simple. Get ready for this to happen to you too.

Oh & a quick news flash for all those out there who think we are "BECOMING" a police state....

WE HAVE BEEN A POLICE STATE FOR AS LONG AS WE HAVE HAD POLICE!

edit on 18-1-2011 by PinkAndBlack because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Jan 18 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste1001

A neighbor called to say that the man (the womans husband) was shooting a bow and arrow in his backyard (if mobile homes have backyards?) and 20 officers responded to the area, tackled and arrested the husband and eventually the wife too on "child neglect" charges......

If you read the article they list some different news sources to the article, the most illuminating is the Police forum..

TrailerTrash + crossbow + Youtube =Madness, noting "Of course, the anarchy/"libertarian" crowd is upset...I always hate how people (especially the media) try to reduce an event to a easily digestable sound bite. The one going around about this incident is 'Twenty police respond to man playing with crossbow in his backyard'. I wanna scream at idiots like this that..

Reading through the officers postings, you see a reoccurring "trailer trash, white trash, rednecks, anarchist, etc"

Police are far detached from society.. it used to be only criminals had to fear police, but now we all do.. we all get nervous when we see a cop, even if we are doing nothing wrong because you never know if they will find you suspicious anyways and detain you. This is what the police force has reduced the populace to.. average Americans, middle class folks, have to fear them because of their immunity. It's a hard job, no doubt about it, but it's incredibly hard to have even an ounce of respect for cops when you see stuff like this. I see nothing more than some fascist pricks ganging up on innocent people making a big deal out of nothing simply because they can.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Thank God for the police, the man was obviously a member of an elite terrorist crossbow unit preparing to take our freedoms and overthrow the government

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Slow day in Nebraska, it seems. Pretty large police force they have there.

At least it ended without anyone dead.

I hope a court figures out what really happened and fixes the issue. By his language, it sounds to me like this guy has a bad attitude toward the law, which is reasonable in this day and age. When he screams to his wife, "protect me!", I can imagine another reality where she ends up fighting fire with fire. It's good that didn't happen, but there are definitely some power issues here.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Cant watch the video, but i think thisd is definately one that could have gotten out of hand....
The heavy response by the police may be result of the priority placed on the call by the operator or snitch too.
Perhaps the whole epissode of man shooting crossbow, was hyped in advance?
The policemen have to go preparing themselves mentally for a worst case scenario, and when they arrive, they are already far too high on the anticipatory adrenalin.?
(Anticipatory to anything you can imagine on the way)
Considering that the weapon was a crossbow, the fellow is lucky to be alive......
They shot that seattle woodcraver for having about a two inch knife in one hand, and a piece of wood in the other, yes, the knife was closed.....
So this came out somewhat better, with the chance to sue theass off the cops for this overstepping of their mandate.

top topics

join