It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tunisia ministers quit new govt.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Tunisia ministers quit new govt.

www.presstv.ir

Four ministers have resigned from the new Tunisian government amid widespread public dissatisfaction with the new cabinet line-up.

Three of the four ministers were from Tunisia's main trade union whose decision came after the General Union of Tunisian Workers (UGTT) refused to recognize the country's new leadership.

"We are resigning from the government after a call from our union," said Houssine Dimassi, who had been named minister for training and employment in a transitional unity...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

www.forbes.com< br /> abcnews.go.com
www.nypost.com
news.yahoo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
abovetopsecret.com...
abovetopsecret.com...
abovetopsecret.com...
abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 1/18/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This is another huge story developing out of the North African nation of Tunisia which is currently undergoing a violent revolution. With protesters in the streets being confronted with riot police firing tear gas and a government led by the same party which has held power since 1987 the Tunisians are understandably upset. For all of their efforts to pay off this revolution must be finished and not halted.

3 of the Tunisian ministers from the main trade union have stepped down due to their union’s refusal to accept the new government as legitimate. Also the opposition Islamic party, an-Nahza, has boycotted the presidential election which is due within 6 months.

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I utterly support the descision of these members to step out of office due to the circumstances in which they found themselves. There is no sense in a political candidate or figure remaining in office if he has not the support of those who would be expected to back him. However, of grave concern to me is the boycott of the presidential election.
If the candidates for election are not suitable then thats one thing, but turning round and decrying the whole process, not to mention taking a demographic potentialy out of the electorate base is frankly counter productive, and in fact will work against the boycotting group. It garuntees unrest and instability, which only ever plays into the hands of defective government, since a divided people are easier to control (look at the polls that got David Cameron elected).
Removing a group from the electorate, garuntees that the angry party are going to be dissapointed by the result, since they have by removing themselves from the count of voting parties, silenced any voice they may have had in terms of deciding at least , which candidate they battle in any further election. This will never be an effective way of going about political activism. At the least I would want to pick my opponent for the next round of elections, rather than just throwing my hands up in despair and praying over the matter.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
This is a worrying development, but I am also concerned about the input of an extremist Islamic element.

I regularly view footage from the scene on YouTube rather than relying on the MSM, and yesterday there was one quite disturbing scene of a large group of Islamic men chanting anti-western propaganda and making comments about stealing their government back.
This wasn't just an aside to the protest. This was a formed group of hundreds of men, with a clear speaker leading the chants in a forum on the street.

Make no mistake about it, if a group like this gained power, we would not see the birth of a democracy, we would see another dictatorship, more damaging than the one the people removed.

The only solution that I can see is the open formation of several parties, each with a clear mandate. Then for elections to be held immediately by those parties. The senior officials in place now should be removed and the government handed to this coalition in preparation for an election. All of this process should be filmed live and broadcast throughout the country.

I am against an outside force being brought in to control this. It should be led by the people forming their parties and discussing openly and for all to see.

The people have shown that they are capable of leading their country. Now it's time to hand the reigns of that country to them and allow them to create their future in the seat of government without interference and obstruction by the relics who should have been removed with their leader.

top topics

join