It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who own the U.S. national debt? China only owns 7.5%

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
politicalcalculations.blogspot.com...

The United States' total public debt outstanding was approximately $13.562 trillion at the end of the government's fiscal year on 30 September 2010. As of 4 January 2011, the United States' total public debt outstanding has surpassed 14 trillion dollars and is continuing to grow rapidly.

Despite that near half-trillion dollar increase, the percentage composition of who owns the U.S. national debt shown in the chart above is relatively unchanged. On the whole, U.S. individuals and institutions, when including the Social Security, U.S. Civil Service and Military trust funds own 62.2% of the U.S. national debt, while foreign nations own the remaining 37.8%.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/84a3255abf49.png[/atsimg]

This whole “China is taking over” fiasco has got to stop. The People’s Republic of China is nowhere near even coming closing to holding enough debt to put considerably influence on US policy. Owning 7.5% of our debt does not equate to holding the supreme authority over the United States no matter how much talking bears in YouTube videos might try and tell you so.

Don’t believe the hype. We have much larger things to fear than a Chinese economic takeover of our nation with their 7.5% debt holding.
edit on 1/18/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Great find Misoir. I have long wonder exactly to who or whom our "national debt" was owed to,
Since the institution of the Federal Reserve system I feel that the United States isn't really a debtor so much as we are robbery victims.
Just a wild guess here that the "private individual" to who this "debt" is owed have last names like: Rockefeller, Du Pont, Warburg, Rothschild and Carnegie perhaps?
As always, S&F
edit on 18-1-2011 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
this is a great point.

there are not many social programs that i like, but social security was one of them. and they have taken that, too.

it is always the middle and lower class that gets ripped off, isn't it?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I'd be curious to see a breakdown of the 42% between private individuals who may own some T-bills or bonds in their portfolios vs institutional investors. I doubt that many extremely wealthy individuals would hold too much in government securities...they can make much more money with IPO's or as venture capitalists.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
This is not true.

China owns about 22%, while Japan owns about 21%.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle
This is not true.

China owns about 22%, while Japan owns about 21%.

Would you like to prove this is not true or just claim it’s not true without any evidence?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Can it be that the stats you have are what is being fed to us?
I am all for follow the money.
What about the Chicom govt owning the smaller portioned bills of the Govt? Or Chicom elites?
I will agree that there is a good possibility that the large amount is owned by Soros, Rockefeller and so on.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Exactly. The whole US is owned by foriegn countries is BS. We owe most of the money to the citizens in this country.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Hmmm, I thought this was common knowledge?

Anyway, carry on.

One other component, that social security trust fund part, is that collecting interest?

By the way, WHO is paying the interest?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The Arabs do because of the oil, I mean 911 should have shown this to anyone watching.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Not to crash the party thinking its only fellow citizens whom are owed the debt and can be screwed around with, but the chart provided by OP is suspect, and there needs to have better understanding on who really owns what.

Here's a more neutral chart from wiki
neutral chart

When you see the debt held by public, it means citizen and also foreigners and foreign institutions such as their central banks. Thus at least around 44% of the total debt you see is owned by foreigners and institution.

And looking at the amount that is owed to the feds and corporations, it is about 49%. And the fed is made up of private bankers and their kind, who will have no mercy on citizens to pay back the debt.

No one is calling the entire debt of $14trillion est, to be return on one single day. Those debt instruments are like fix deposits that pays interest only if they are kept for a certain period of time for maturity. And not all are fully due today.

But to show how grave the situation can be, lets suppose valuations are done on America today and is found to be worth $14 trillion. It would mean the bankers and corporations owning 49% of USA, with foreigeners owning 44% and the balance by others, which means majority of americans will either have to be exiled or pay higher rentals(taxes), not to mention living under different political cultures in order to remain in their land of birth.

Being technically broke then, the military will have to disband as there will be no salaries to pay or fuel to run the machines.

But fortunately, USA is most certainly worth more than $14 trillion, with its educated workforce and mineral resources. However, my example was meant to show what will happen if continued borrowings goes on. It may come a time when the amounts loaned may be more than the worth of a nation, then its bye bye time. The russians sold Alaska to US at only $7 million last century.
edit on 18-1-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Read for yourself

In total, lenders from Japan and China held 44% of the foreign-owned debt

en.wikipedia.org...

Full info above.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle
Read for yourself

In total, lenders from Japan and China held 44% of the foreign-owned debt

en.wikipedia.org...

Full info above.

That is "foreign owned" debt, not total debt.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I think it's odd that China with 7.5% ownership has confronted the Executive branch, concerned about the falling value of their dollar holdings, and the US public who owns the majority of debt, can only whine about it.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbriefed
I think it's odd that China with 7.5% ownership has confronted the Executive branch, concerned about the falling value of their dollar holdings, and the US public who owns the majority of debt, can only whine about it.

Congress already started a trade war with China. The US bought 800 TRILLON dollars worth of goods from China in 2010. They hold a lot of US debt Treasuries. If they bail or cash in we are in trouble.

They will take the money from the elderly and disabled first, since social security and medicare is a huge percentage in the deficit.

Tension is running high now with China and the currency issue at hand.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbriefed

Congress already started a trade war with China. The US bought 800 TRILLON dollars worth of goods from China in 2010. They hold a lot of US debt Treasuries. If they bail or cash in we are in trouble.

They will take the money from the elderly and disabled first, since social security and medicare is a huge percentage in the deficit.

Tension is running high now with China and the currency issue at hand.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
It's also a weird scenario that not many owe the US any money. We are now borrowing from the poorest countries.

We might also think about who will pay the US. Our children, grand-children and great-grandchildren. There isnt a logical solution, unless we switch all currencies to a credit system and start devaluating. I believe this debt is intensional to create a global government.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Here is another article that corroborates the OP:

Demystifying China and U.S. Debt

Despite what talk radio and late night comedians may say, China does not own the U.S. Treasury Department. Numbers show that 75% of Uncle Sam’s growing debt is in the hands of U.S. interests.

Of the international lenders, China is owed the most, just under $900 billion. But with America’s debt approaching $14 trillion, that’s not even 7% in Chinese hands. Of course, if China were to suddenly call in its notes, it would cause chaos to the U.S. economy.

But Christina Larson, a China analyst with the New America Foundation, says Beijing and the rest of the world still consider taking on debt from the United States a safe bet.

"China needs a place to park its capital and there’s no place that's as stable, easy to purchase and feel safe in as the United States."

What I find interesting in the above excerpt is the claim that China (and the rest of the world) still consider taking on U.S. debt a safe bet. Anyhow, follow the link for the rest of the article.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

So i have run a hotel in my life, and one time had a guy who was starting a new drilling company put his guys in m y hotel. I have a weekly "checkout" policy, where i can recover monies owed on long term stays without investing too deeply in them. Just to reduce risk, you know?

So this guy's credit card declined. i called him, he had a story about how the bank made a mistake. i knew the truth was that he was having a cash crunch as he was behind schedule on a rig. So my choices were to evict his crew for non payment, or to extend him a little more "credit", understanding that the crunch was likely temporary. If i evict him, i likely will get nothing. If i extend credit, we both win.

That is what China is doing. They have nothing to gain by "calling in the debt". We will just rout them and make it a new Iraq on a massive scale. So they bide their time hoping to at least reduce losses.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Right! The reason I found it interesting is because of some of the talk that allegedly comes out of China. It's like they are threatening to "evict", yet don't. It seems like some of their language is more than a friendly reminder that they are owed money. How would that make your overextended hotel customer feel?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join