It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama bowing to the Chinese President

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Respect for another country, regardless of politics, or what some dude eating potato chips on the couch thinks.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 11PB11

Roosevelt bowed to the French president.

Nixon bowed to the Japanese emperor.

Bush bowed to the pope.

Bush held the hand of a Saudi prince.

Bush Sr. puked on the Japanese prime minister.

Yes, Obama bowed, and bowed a little low. But you tell me, what's worse for America's image as "the greatest nation in the world" bowing too low or holding hands with a foreign monarch, or even vomiting on a foreign leader?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

well, let's be fair. When your guts suddenly heave northward, there's not much you can do about it. Not as if Bush could have been all "Excuse me good sir, but I have to spew your national cuisine across the floor. HORGHBPLE!"

What makes America look bad is all the couch jockeys who are beating off to the idea of American exceptionalism, and ranting and raving about a gesture of respect between peers.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
In the changing world of politics and international relations would you prefer our country to remain stagnent or adapt? I for one would continue to promote pushing the US to be on the cutting edge. What made the cut for international politics 10 years ago simply does not apply today.

Critisizing your president is not in the best interest of the US. If you disagree with the current president and want a new one, vote for a new one come election time. Don't be ignorant. Don't spew propaganda. Don't be weak.

One of the things President GW Bush does not get enough credit for is his respect for the office of the President. Have you ever heard him come out and publicly critisize President Obama or any of his actions? The answer is no.

SlyF

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I completely agree and my comment was a little silly. Yes, it's embarrassing that it happened, but we have all been sick against our will.

I also agree that the RAH, RAH, RAH, AMERICA!!! attitude is far more damaging to America's image worldwide that a president bowing a little too low.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
With as much of the national debt that is money we owe to China, maybe he should get on his knees instead

Seriously, I see nothing wrong with respecting another world leader and their customs. The rest of the world sees all of the U.S. and especially it's leadership as a bunch of arrogant oafs, so if Obama didn't properly show respect and bow, there would surely be threads titled "Obama is too good to bow - I am embarrased". Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Just say you hate Obama and be done with it.
edit on 18-1-2011 by Blazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Just say you hate Obama and be done with it.
edit on 18-1-2011 by Blazer because: (no reason given)

What, and be honest? That's almost sacrilegious! See, you've got to lie and obfuscate and try to convince others to join in your hatred. A simple statement of "Gosh, I just plain hate Obama!" may be true for some people, but it makes it harder to win converts than their current circular logic, double standards, and half-baked diatribes do.
edit on 18-1-2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Did you read the part that said the deeper the bow the more respect conveyed? Or did your good ol American eucation miss it?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

There is a word for how Obama is greeting the head of China, lts called RESPECT. Sadly something lacking in The US nowadays.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I think he's just trying to respect their culture but has no clue what he's doing lol. I don't see it as a huge issue, just a little funny that nobody has told him (publicly, at least) he's #ing up yet.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by staciebee

Bowing is customary in China. It is the proper greeting. Besides, we are indebted to that country, for they own our debts. I appreciate the display of respect. Would you rather he flip him the bird and pull out an automatic weapon? NO! Obama is showing respect and hoping to keep the peace. China has the world's largest Army. They could really do damage if we ticked them off.
edit on 1/17/11 by staciebee because: typo correction

No, of course not.

However, is there no middle ground? Can't obama just look other leaders in the eye as he shakes their hand?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

reply to post by SLAYER69

No matter where the meeting occured...custom is custom. This is pointless, there are two sides of this fence and no convincing either side to cross it. Pōtātō...pōtátō.

Or you could have been big enough to just admit you were wrong.

If all these bowing pictures show up in campaign ads for 2012, obama is done for sure.

After all, it only took one stupid picture of Dukakis riding in a tank, or one bizarre scream by Howard Dean to derail their presidential bids.

Since Truman, about once per generation people forget what they've learned, buy into the change mantra and elect a democrat as president - Kennedy/Johnson, Carter, Clinton and now Obama. Then, of course, most people end up realizing, "THAT'S why we don't elect democrats as presidents!"

Obama is showing everyone why again ...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
Actually, Obama has been respectful and quite courteous of global leaders. After all, one nation cannot be a nation without other nations working together. Obama knows his place very well.

Yeah, um no other President has every done this.

And yes, he does know his place with the Chicoms. They own us, and he had better bow if he and the Govt wants them to keep buying our debt.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I´m actually relieved...

I thought it said blowing not bowing

btw.. check this out...

edit on 18-1-2011 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Maybe this is "indirect disclosure" to the fact that since China now owns the majority of the US that they plan on making a universal dollar?

Here is a link i found:

www.infowars.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
A member of a Republic bows to no man, but look straight into the eyes of another fellow human being.

To bow is not a sign of respect in chinese culture, but to show one's inferior status to another. China aint Japan. Worse still the commie bastard did not bow back.

Sad day...sad day....

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Bowing is customary in China. It is the proper greeting. Besides, we are indebted to that country, for they own our debts. I appreciate the display of respect. Would you rather he flip him the bird and pull out an automatic weapon? NO! Obama is showing respect and hoping to keep the peace. China has the world's largest Army. They could really do damage if we ticked them off.
edit on 1/17/11 by staciebee because: typo correction

If the bow is customary how come Barry is the only one doing it? (hint - he's not Chinese even, the other dude is....)

The Chinese leader considers himself superior and quite possibly he is in this case.

Barry is weak, weak of character, weak of will and lacking in confidence in situations in which he is around people are not his worshipers. That's why he doesn't do hard interviews; he sticks to his worshipers so he can bask in thier love.

Besides, here is where a leader’s street cred comes in…a leader needs a reputation to deal with other leaders on an equal level - since Barry can chalk up being a crappy lawyer, a community organizer (read agitator) part time lecturer as his only experience before becoming a Senator for about 2 years; most of that time he didn't even participate in the office as he was running for President..

Obama has none – he is weak, he projects weakness (the apology tour and other issues) and that is why since he has taken office we have been challenged by every tin pot dictator and attacked time and time again on our own soil.

Say what you want about Bush but he was no wuss and people knew better than to mess with him.

America is losing her credibility worldwide in part due to this guy....other leaders just do not listen to him and do their own thing because he is weak.

I suppose in a perfect world being cool, tolerant and understanding would indeed ingratiate foreign powers to our cause.

However, international politics is the jungle and weakness only attracts aggression not compassion.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Reply to Seeker.....your words back up my point exactly! Bowing shows inferiority and thus could possibly be a sign of things to come.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
i totaly miss read the title for this.............. i thought i was going to see a video of them both with funky coloured shoes on bowling together lol :-)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
To me it shows a regard for other cultures. it is no different then their cultures shaking hands when a hand is offered as part of western politness, that is not the way of most people and yet they all show respect to our leaders by doing that and more. i know our first lady bows before the brits Queen it is the same thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join