It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss MPs urge US diplomats ouster

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Every country does this, the US just happened to get caught.

Perhaps they were trying to steal the secret of the that delicious Swiss chocolate.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by backinblack
Wouldn't be such a bogus institution if not for all the Veto powers used by the US and others..
The Veto vote is a direct attack on democracy and one of the big reasons the UN is a failure..

Well that means stripping Russia, China and a few others of it as well.

Yes of course...
The UN is thought of by many as the democratic voice of the world..
The Veto power, of ANY one nation, is a direct attack and an insult to democracy..

I'm sure many people are not even aware that power exists..

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
If you read the article they investigated people who where protesting outside the embassy or who hung around outside the embassy for suspiciously long times. There are crazies out there and they would be dumb to not take photos off and investigate the people who hang outside the embassy.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Hey!

Don't try to derail this thread with facts.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by exile1981
If you read the article they investigated people who where protesting outside the embassy or who hung around outside the embassy for suspiciously long times. There are crazies out there and they would be dumb to not take photos off and investigate the people who hang outside the embassy.

Strange be make it so obvious by taking pictures rather than simply using security cameras..

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

reply to post by exile1981

Hey!

Don't try to derail this thread with facts.

The U.S. embassy in Bern and the U.S. mission in Geneva had applied twice to the Swiss government in 2006 and 2007 for permission to conduct this type of surveillance, as required by Swiss law, said Swiss Justice Ministry spokesman Philippe Piatti said, but they were turned down.

Swiss officials immediately demanded a stop to any spying when the Nordic reports came out, he said.

Well the flip side is, if the US does not like the rules set by the host Nation then leave..
Not stay and break the law...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I am American, and i dont remember ever asking my government to spy on another country, i dont remember giving the military or cia, or diplomats, who are supposed to represent our supposedly great and free country the go ahead and collect information while inside the borders of an ally.

This crap our government is doing is getting really old, even if the news source was not reliable, I know damn well MY government that I myself, and many other hard workers fund every day, is up to no good.

Getting really old. I know many of my fellow true Americans feel the same way, and there will be a day when we leave our jobs, and leave our families, and fight for what we truly love, and that is, an America that is once again based on the constitution, I know what I am saying labels me as a terrorist, but we do have the right to assemble, and weather or not that right to assemble escalates, is up to them, I have a funny feeling..

It will escalate.
edit on 17-1-2011 by sicksonezer0 because: Sentence clarification

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen
Yes, do the world a favour, sever links with them all.

I'd love to see the US leave the bogus institution called the UN.
Hell, I'd love to see the US pull out of NATO as well.

Me too, in fact I'd like to see them crumble and die away and make room for something which genuinely works for the the best interests of the sovreign people of the world.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The Swiss have problems of their own ... let's see, could it be possible that the upcoming Wiki releases have them on edge and accusing the US of spying (by taking pictures of protesters outside of a US Embassy, a potential security issue) be an attempt to deflect this story:

Wiki promises to reveal Swiss banking secrets

Related ATS thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

*Snap. That won't be good for business...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Sorry Slayer,

The article also says they took pictures of the couple just outside the embassy after they had been seen hanging around. Without the rest of the story we don't know if they went beyound that as wikileaks only released a part of the story.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Well the flip side is, if the US does not like the rules set by the host Nation then leave..
Not stay and break the law...

You mean like many of those so called Foreign "Diplomats" in New York and elsewhere in the US who continually break our laws, some times with Rape and Murder then call Diplomatic immunity?

Like that?
The Untouchables: Diplomatic Impunity

In early 2005, Virginia police closed in on a suspected child predator -- a man in his 40s who cops say drove four hours to meet a 13-year-old girl he'd met on the Internet, promising to teach her about sex. It turned out the girl was really a cop, and officers arrested the man at a shopping mall.

But then it was the police who got an unpleasant surprise. Their suspect, Salem Al-Mazrooei, was a diplomat from the United Arab Emirates -- and therefore covered by "diplomatic immunity." The cops had to let him go. Days later, Al-Mazrooei left the country, never having spent a night in jail.

Diplomatic immunity? Diplomatic impunity is more like it. Thanks to several international treaties observed by most nations, diplomats and embassy workers get special protections and privileges in the places they're posted. Many of them can't be arrested, sued or even taxed by host countries.

Diplomats Behaving Badly

Used to be that diplomatic immunity meant a Saudi prince could park on the sidewalk in D.C. and no one said boo. But recent cases involving diplomats who enslaved domestic workers in their homes are bringing the above-the-law status of "dignitaries" into question. In July, a Filipino woman sued former U.N. honcho Lauro Liboon Baja, saying he forced her to be a maid and round-the-clock babysitter to his son for about $3 a day — in his five-story New York City townhouse.

The civil case is pending, but Baja's attorneys intend to plead diplomatic immunity. Last year, three Indian domestic workers sued a Kuwaiti diplomat in Virginia for beating and starving them during 18-hour workdays; the offender was asked to leave the country, but no criminal charges were brought. Months later, a jury ordered the mother-in-law of another Filipino consul to pay $78,000 to a 21-year-old woman she'd forced to work (bathing her incapacitated husband, giving friends pedicures) without pay. When diplomats engage in criminal behavior on U.S. soil, their homes cannot be searched, criminal charges cannot be brought, and the worst they face is to be sent back home. The Government Accountability Office reported some 42 complaints of domestic-worker abuse by diplomats since 2000; at least 17 were investigated, but not one resulted in a prosecution.

Most offenses go unreported by victims, who fear retaliation or don't speak English. In September, Senator Joe Biden introduced the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008, which, if passed, would force the State Department to hold foreign diplomats accountable, if not for their parking tickets, then at least for how they treat their employees.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

I guess the US has just decided to start spying on everyone.

reply to post by Misoir

Misoir - Countries spy on each other, that is the way of the world.

edit on 17-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

This is absolutely it. Even allies spy on their allies, it's all a part of their game.
But the secret is to not get caught doing it.

When you are caught, and if that becomes public knowledge, then you have to face the consequences and the fallout of that.
America has to expect that if it gets caught spying, the country in questions has to save face in the eyes of its people and do something about it.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

You mean like many of those so called Foreign "Diplomats" in New York and elsewhere in the US who continually break our laws, some times with Rape and Murder then call Diplomatic immunity?

And what, US diplomats abroad don't share that immunity??
You've seen me post enough to know what I think of ALL Government BS..
Yes, all countries are the same..
The US is the biggest player..
They were caught and we all know it's getting caught that is the real crime..
And following the spying on UN members by the Clinton brigade?
Now that they have been caught, deal with it..

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
The Swiss have problems of their own ... let's see, could it be possible that the upcoming Wiki releases have them on edge and accusing the US of spying (by taking pictures of protesters outside of a US Embassy, a potential security issue) be an attempt to deflect this story:

Okay, if they only took pictures of people outside the embassy, then l don't get why the Swiss gov is so upset about it. This obviously is a security issue. But the Wiki releases can't be the reason either because the surveillance happend in 2007.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

In this case, I'm sorry but taking pictures of people who are hanging around the Embassy is a far cry from trying to lure a 13 year old Child into sex or holding somebody as a 20th century slave....

But you don't see or hear about those cases on ATS now do you?

Apples and Oranges.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

reply to post by backinblack

In this case, I'm sorry but taking pictures of people who are hanging around the Embassy is a far cry from trying to lure a 13 year old Child into sex or holding somebody as a 20th century slave....

But you don't see or hear about those cases on ATS now do you?

Apples and Oranges.

I heard about many cases of immunity abuse but that's not the point here..
Saying this was just because of the pics IMO is wrong..
There must be more to it than just pictures or do you think we hear all that goes on in diplomatic circles?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Every single country spies on every other if given the slightest opportunity. It would put you at a considerable disadvantage if you didn’t, like playing a game fairly whilst everyone else is cheating.

The Swiss security services are amongst the very best in the world when it comes to surveillance, and you don’t get good without a lot of practice. If say, the US uncovered some massive Swiss surveillance operation in place in the US then they would no doubt kick up a fuss, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the US isn't spying on them as well.

In reality, it would be far more worrying if everyone wasn't spying on each other.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

They were caught and we all know it's getting caught that is the real crime..
And following the spying on UN members by the Clinton brigade?
Now that they have been caught, deal with it..

Don't get me started on CLINTON----->

Like how the Clinton administration turned a blind eye when China was caught red handed stealing Missile technology.

Bill Clinton:

Essentially, Bill Clinton has given military technology to Communist China. This information included satellite guidance technology and enough information for communist China to modernize their nuclear arsenal. Reports suggest that China has missiles positioned to where they could attack us. Chinese missile weapon technology has greatly improved due to Clintons "gift." Keep in mind that a guidance chip was also found missing from an American satellite that crashed on take off over China. The military is investigating who removed it since the crash site was blockaded for several hours following the crash - restricted to Chinese officials. Launching our satellites on Chinese rockets from communist China? Another Clinton policy. Remember also that this all came out just as Clinton and the Chinese dismissed investigations into the "China Scandals" as groundless.

I think Johnny Chung proves otherwise. Many investigations are underway with the most recent being the Cox report which revealed that China was actively spying on the United States and had been stealing top secret nuclear weapons plans for two decades. Worse, Clinton was informed of the espionage problem months and years in advance of it breaking to the public yet did absolutely nothing about it and even continued to transfer other technology and pursue close relations with China! Maybe the commies finally received something in return for all the campaigning and donations they made to Bill's reelection. This is yet another to keep your eye on.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

It's all a game Slayer..
The leaders scream and call for war in front of the media and then go out for drinks with the offending leaders..

It's a sham...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
It's simple enough to take just about any photos you want, and have it appear perfectly innocent. Generally, you go out looking like a bunch of tourists, and you can often get the home folks to pose with you.

There's another reason for being so blatant about making it known that you are photographing someone. It's to let them know that you note them, that you're paying attention, and that you're now documenting their presence.

If you're just innocent tourists who were hanging around too long, you won't mind.

If you're up to some **** , then that open reaction is going to bother you.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join