It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samsung Granted RoboCop Patent

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Source

Samsung just received confirmation for a patent that describes an unmanned automatic shooting mechanism that is designed to support and replace security forces in locations such as airports, harbors, and nuclear power plants.
Samsung fuels the 2011 IT patent frenzy with 151 patents granted in the second week of the year. One of them was particularly interesting and somewhat reminiscent of the automated “enforcement droid” in the 1990 movie RoboCop 2.

This should give everyone a warm fuzzy feeling:

The patent is introduced as “Automatic shooting mechanism and robot having the same” which outlines a cyborg-like shooting robot that, however, is not immediately mobile like the cyborg in the movie. Apart from that, which could be fixed with a mobile base, the device use front and back ultra-low brightness cameras that are employed for aerial monitoring, target identification, tracking and “accurate” shooting in short and long ranges.

Imagine these things showing up in various places throughout the US/World. I'm sure they would never be used for nefarious purposes...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Put down your weapon! you have 20 seconds to comply! put down you weapon you have 5 seconds to comply.... BAM!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

found it!!

edit on 17-1-2011 by sicksonezer0 because: image

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Wow, that's kind of scary to think about. Machines will malfunction at some point. So, how long before one of these things assume an innocent person(s) is a terrorist and kills it for no reason? What's so bad about having actual humans guarding humans? Aside from the whole TSA groping thing...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
But will it handle the nemesis of all movie robots... the stairs?

On a more serious note this will make suicide by cop a lot easier to achieve.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
But will it handle the nemesis of all movie robots... the stairs?

On a more serious note this will make suicide by cop a lot easier to achieve.

That was not RoboCop with the stairs issue. RoboCop had no problems with it.
May I suggest that we clone Chuck Norris 49 times, and place one in each state?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Ugh...that scene in RoboCop where the machine goes nuts is STILL one of my worst nightmares.

Put even more people out of work AND give us more things to worry about like machines that go haywire and kills us. Yay. Sometimes technology really. really, really sucks.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I have a good friend who is a computer genius.

He already makes good money doing programming and web design but he's going to school just so he can get some documentation to back up his work.

...and THIS is his biggest worry. That the best jobs available for him will be military or police contracts requiring programming that will be used against humans. I find his candor praiseworthy, most people who spend $$$ on college don't give a damn WHO their work is going to be victimizing.

First just the criminals, then after--any who doesn't comply.

"Dead or alive, you're coming with me! "

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

It is on a fixed base so is therefore stationary.

Couple the cameras discussed in the article with the fact that we are being pushed for biometric pictures to be taken for our drivers licenses and these things could then pick you out of a large crowd. I'm sure they'd only be armed with airsoft BBs of course...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem

Couple the cameras discussed in the article with the fact that we are being pushed for biometric pictures to be taken for our drivers licenses and these things could then pick you out of a large crowd. I'm sure they'd only be armed with airsoft BBs of course...

No, not BB's. Puppy dogs and rainbows.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It looks a bit more like Ed-209 without legs than Robocop, but it's scary because a robot could kill indiscriminantly without concience or any discression

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem

I'm betting on one or 2 of these. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

"But but but...Movies aren't real", the logical critical thinking people cry out

Really to do truth justice, every film maker should stamp "Based on a true story" on their works.

From the movie Blind Side to Alice in Wonderland. (Based on a true story)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Yay.

An AI with guns eh? I'm sure that will go over well.

I'm not sure how the regular consumer is going to feel about having a mounted and armed machine tracking them through airports. I get it for nuclear reactors and those sorts of places.

But public spaces? I think that will be a problem.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Yay.

An AI with guns eh? I'm sure that will go over well.

I'm not sure how the regular consumer is going to feel about having a mounted and armed machine tracking them through airports. I get it for nuclear reactors and those sorts of places.

But public spaces? I think that will be a problem.

~Keeper

I don't know that it has gotten to the point of AI but foresee it as something similar to drones. Someone somewhere will be sitting there at a monitor with a joystick and let's hope they've had a good day.

I believe these or something similar will be sold as something that is for maintaining safety...oh and of course "for the children". It has become readily apparent that people are more than willing to trade their liberty for safety.

I can hear it now...if you have nothing to hide, why fear these defenders of our safety.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11

"But but but...Movies aren't real", the logical critical thinking people cry out

Really to do truth justice, every film maker should stamp "Based on a true story" on their works.

From the movie Blind Side to Alice in Wonderland. (Based on a true story)

As a parent, I have to continually tell my children that "it's just a movie". However, I find that movies seem to be a foreshadowing of what is to come. It's just a movie today...many years down the road - who knows?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by knylon90
So, how long before one of these things assume an innocent person(s) is a terrorist and kills it for no reason?

Human beings already make mistakes do they not on crime? The police have along list of people that where innocent they went after.

It had to happen eventually.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Can't wait till Japan starts building Gundams.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

I'm guessing it would be equipped more along the lines of this: M240

Why deploy a unit with 5.56 when you can deploy one with 7.62? It's not like money will be an issue since you and I will be paying for them.

Heaven forbid something is deployed utilizing .50BMG.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I wonder if the protoypes are going to have IBM's new monster "WATSON" as it's brain. I you don't know what I'm talking about just google "robot on jeporady".

This is actually quite frightening. Each day we are hurtling ourselves towards the advents of "terminator" like machines.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join