It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists warn California could be struck by winter ‘superstorm’........

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

A group of more than 100 scientists and experts say in a new report that California faces the risk of a massive "superstorm" that could flood a quarter of the state's homes and cause $300 billion to $400 billion in damage. Researchers point out that the potential scale of destruction in this storm scenario is four or five times the amount of damage that could be wrought by a major earthquake.

Source

This would not be good- later in the article it says that such a storm could last for more than 40 days-yikes!!

edit on 17-1-2011 by Skippy1138 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17 Jan 2011 by Hellmutt because: fixed link

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
40 days Oo

now thats a superstorm

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by heineken

I know-it's like something out the Bible and Noah's Ark......

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I live next to downtown LA.....WTF am I suppose to do ?
At least it could be fun.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
They're saying that this might happen, but it's not imminent...not happening in the immediate future...like next week. Interesting though. Oh, and I find the name of the organization sort of...notable.

The ARkStorm Scenario is based on prehistoric geologic flood history in California, combined with with modern flood mapping and climate-change projections.

"The ARkStorm scenario is a complete picture of what that storm would do to the social and economic systems of California," says Lucy Jones, chief scientist of the USGS Multi-Hazards Demonstration Project and architect of ARkStorm.

"We think this event happens once every 100 or 200 years or so, which puts it in the same category as our big San Andreas earthquakes.

The ARkStorm is essentially two historic storms (January 1969 and February 1986) put back to back in a scientifically plausible way. The model is not an extremely extreme event."

www.tgdaily.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
So what makes California vulnerable to such a storm, anymore than anywhere else? I'm assuming that such a storm isn't already approaching Cali, and that it's purely speculative.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Cali must be going under the new ice cap or pole. Crops people!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Well, with Cali already crippled by it's disastrous economic policies, something like this might just capsize the state. I love Cali, have lived there extensively...I hope that they find their strength again.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
all these events are becoming so obvious that something is brewing up that i must consider start trusting my inner self more

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
A storm is not approaching California! I suppose scientists are seeing a difference in the weather patterns and are speculating as to what would happen if it hit California. I have seen some very heavy weather in California - houses sliding down the hills - I remember a very bad flood in the 1970's when I lived in the LA area. I was fortunate enough to live at the top of a hill but even then I worried about land slides as they were happening on the other side from where I lived. Take care Californians - my heart is with you.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
This reminds me of a song. California you better Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I live in san diego and the days we had a lot of rain it flooded especially close to stadium. I remember they had to drain it before the collage football game and they were compaining they were taking shortcuts for environmental issues to dredge the land. They really dont plan for the rain because it hardly rains here but when it does it really floods the streets.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This happened in 1861/1862. So its not something cali hasnt seen before. Lets just hope we are prepared for it if it does go into action.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Im up in the mountains of Nor Cal! if my property becomes beachfront I would be STOKED!!! so any idea when this COULD happen?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by WJjeeper

They really aren't too specific in terms of a date timeframe, the closest they really come is saying that the conditions necessary to produce such a thing are "gathering momentum" (their words)......So it could be next week or 10 years from now-who knows? But there's some unusual stuff going on on this planet right now.....

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Best of luck to California. This could be disastrous.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
It's been raining quite a lot out here lately, and the rains started earlier than usual this year. I'm not even sure we had time for drought (as is customary every year at the end of summer) or a fire season. I remember El Nino some years back, when rain would come down for two weeks straight. This time it's different. Rain will come down for a week, and then sporadically during the week,.... maybe every four days or so. I like it. It keeps things green around here. I'm originally from Europe, so I enjoy the greenery more than a desert. I say bring it on,..... though it would be nice if all that rain was spread through the whole year. 40 days of rain? Sounds like Seattle.

One thing that really bothers me about California is their drainage problems. Every year floods happen, every year we have mud slides, but since it only happens once a year nothing is being done about the poor drainage design. People here continue to build new houses on the sides of artificial hills, inside old riverbeds,.... I mean...with all the damage that happens every year you'd think they'd learn! I will NEVER EVER buy a house built on what used to be a riverbed, because that riverbed is there for a reason. Even if all the water has been damed and dried out, you just have to know that since you live at the bottom of a valley, all that water is going come right down where you live, and flood you out. I also question people who build their houses on land where tornadoes happen every year. I guess it's good for insurance and construction companies, but I personally wouldn't want to risk living in a place where disasters such as these are commonplace. Earthquakes? Yeah...we get a good one maybe once every decade or so. No big deal. It's probably less costly than the yearly fires, floods and mudslides.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I find this story that has been put out very strange. Are people getting paranoid after the Brisbane AUS floods?

The articles talk about possibility of 10 feet of water getting dumped in 40 days, historical floods every two hundred years or so, but give very little additional evidence. No maps of where this flooding might be taking place, it just seems like fear mongering.

I did a search, and found this info.

abcnews.go.com...

He said historical records show California has had several storms in which 16 inches of rain fell in three days — the same amount left in the wake of hurricanes over Gulf Coast states.

Umm, so these historical storms dumped 16 inches of water? That is a huge difference from the warned about 10 feet of water, or 120 inches. WTF?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I'm screwed, i live in the central valley.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Hmmmm interesting, last year this time exactly they had very very bads rains. I arrived on Feb. 1st 2010, all the locals in Corona del Mar(where I was staying), Newport beach and Laguna Beach all commenting the rain storm they had 2 weeks before I got there were the craziest they had in many many years. One older gentleman said he lived there his whole life and nothing like it in 40 years roughly.

I can 100% say it was insanely rainy....I am from Toronto, Canada and originally the East Coast of Canada and i have to admit I was very surprised how windy and rainy it got...actually a tree blew down next door, and it was perfectly healthy. I spent almost everyday at the beach and everyone there told me how it was unfortunate I was taking pictures, they commented the storm had washed away alot of the sand from the beach and it looked terrible in comparison.... I totally loved it, the outcropings were startling. even found one strange circular rock that made me question if it was man made and how long had it been under the sand....hmmm...gotta look for the pics in my vaccation folder....but I think it will lend some insight into this thread....PAUSE....Sorry I do not have them hosted online, or even have any pics online...this will delay the pics sorry. But I can say 100% it was very bad last Jan-Feb.... and I have pics to proove it, just lacking the where-with-all to use url to link them

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join