It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff Charged in Texas Whistle-Blowing Case [For prosecuting Whistleblowers]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Sheriff Charged in Texas Whistle-Blowing Case [For prosecuting Whistleblowers]

www.nytimes.com

A state grand jury in Winkler County, Tex., has indicted the sheriff, the county attorney and a hospital administrator for their roles in orchestrating the prosecution of two whistle-blowing nurses after they had reported allegations of malpractice.

The sheriff, Robert L. Roberts Jr., and county attorney, Scott M. Tidwell, each face six counts, including misuse of official information and retaliation, which are third-degree felonies. Stan Wiley, the administrator of Winkler County ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well now this is a pretty good example of the state of whisleblower laws in the US. Two nurses call baloney, and are in turn prosecuted for speaking out in within their legal right.

At least this time someone got caught silencing witnesses. Maybe this will cause more whistleblowers to come forward when they know that they can use this publicized case to help them not become a target, instead of a citizen with rights.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Corruption is everywhere. I am tired of it. The world is so full of corruption.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Its not entirely how the whistleblower laws work. They will vary from state to state, and then the FEds have their own set that governs them and their employees, as well as local who report federal violations.

The prosecution attempt of the 2 nurses had absolutely nothing to do with whistle blower laws at all. It did have to do with an attempt by the Hospital, The PA and The Sheriff to use their authority in an effort to get retribution against the nurses.

I agree this should serve as a warning, but to those who try to silence people who legitimately speak out in the manner whisteblower statutes require.

On a side note I am curious how the Sheriff was able to be indited. As far as I know the only person who can actually arrest a Sheriff is the county Coroner.

Either or, good info - SandF
edit on 16-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
On a side note I am curious how the Sheriff was able to be indited. As far as I know the only person who can actually arrest a Sheriff is the county Coroner.

In Texas it is misconception that a Sheriff can only be arrested by a Constable. All Texas peace officers have the same arrest authority in felony offenses, including outside their jurisdiction, and for any offense within their jurisdiction.
edit on 16-1-2011 by WTFover because: Never mind

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover

Originally posted by Xcathdra

In Texas it is misconception that a Sheriff can only be arrested by a Constable. All Texas peace officers have the same arrest authority in felony offenses, including outside their jurisdiction, and for any offense within their jurisdiction.
edit on 16-1-2011 by WTFover because: Never mind

Star for beating me to it, also good replies so far. Thankyou for the clarification.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
With so much bad new and con jobs going around on these threads it makes a pleasant change to hear some good news for those standing up for what is right. It is great to hear some people still value reality.

top topics

join