It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If We Knew "The Big One" Is Coming, What Happens With The Information?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Watching a show on TV about how hard scientist are trying to learn how to predict earthquakes made me wonder what good it does. Just because one scientist knows unequivocally there will be a 9.9 magnitude quake along the San Andreas Fault, perhaps he's the wrong scientist and no one will listen. Even if he is the "right" scientist, would the right people listen? Who are the right people? Would the information get filtered to the population, or would TPTB just let it happen for one reason or another? How much time is enough? How strong does the quake have to be in order to trigger any response?

We have questioned what information regarding the end of the world would be disseminated to the masses, but what about smaller, yet devastating nonetheless events?

Very interested in opinions.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by samstone11

Just seeing the title I thought you meant people's personal information.
That got me thinking about our images on computers, a thread by Jazz10 on lithium, lithium batteries in computers and mobiles, high definition, 3D, and whether this technology can be used to affect us in ways we don't realise...

But, connected to your thread is the concept of divide and conquer I reckon - compartmentalisation. We know this from media blackouts etc...

The net is a fantastic tool but that's why they need to control it.

edit on 16-1-2011 by iamahumandoing because: added info

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamahumandoing

Just seeing the title I thought you meant people's personal information.
That got me thinking about our images on computers, a thread by Jazz10 on lithium, lithium batteries in computers and mobiles, high definition, 3D, and whether this technology can be used to affect us in ways we don't realise...

Affect us how? I would like to see you start a thread to expand on a discussion of this. I think you have an interesting subject and baffling, too.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Done: its called The Theory of Everything

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by iamahumandoing

Apologies for any misperceptions. I would be happy and willing to amend the title, if allowed, if you have a good suggestion.

My concern is for friends I have in California. If the world's greatest quake scientist (whoever that is) could prove the worst earthquake in 72 hours, how would that information be handled? Would he even be allowed to tell anyone? If he did, would he be considered a "conspiracy theorist" and ignored by the mass media? Is it likely he/she has the ear of the government, and would that be a good or a bad thing? I simply fear that someone in authority would squash or mishandle the details and too many people would unnecessarily be left in mortal danger. Obviously, the same concern spills over into any number of additional subjects such as a meteorite strike, UFO's etc.

Again, sorry for misleading. I assure you it was unintentional, and thanks for calling my attention to it.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I just posted my first thread in the wrong place haha we're not doing well today

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
cali is doomed

new topics

top topics

join