It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ROBOT Show at NBA 2010 - Eh...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Note: Some are clearly people in costume, however there are three robots.

(This may or may not have been posted already, but I feel that a discussion on this is necessary.)

Well, it is debatable on whether or not robot technology will be "good idea" or "pandoras box". Regardless, they are making them. For war? Most likely, for our comfort? Maybe that too. But it appears to me that in a very near future, we will be seeing much more of this.

They are just dancing! Yeah, well, my opinion? Not good for public opinion when you make the main robot look like The Terminator.

(I will be a happy camper if one of you can prove this to be an elaborate hoax.)
edit on 16-1-2011 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
(This may or may not have been posted already, but I feel that a discussion on this is necessary.)

Well, it is debatable on whether or not robot technology will be "good idea" or "pandoras box". Regardless, they are making them. For war? Most likely, for our comfort? Maybe that too. But it appears to me that in a very near future, we will be seeing much more of this.

They are just dancing! Yeah, well, my opinion? Not good for public opinion when you make the main robot look like The Terminator.

(I will be a happy camper if one of you can prove this to be an elaborate hoax.)

just look like people in robot costumes

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by williedavis

Some of them, yes. But not the three.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Here's abit more information on - The Showbots

Meet the Showbots

Meet the Showbots, a group of human robot super-heroes who travel around the south keeping kids in school, off the street and away from drugs. Showbots, also known as Cop-rots when working with the police and Swopebots, when they advertise for the Sam Swope Car Dealership in Kentucky started as a concept of Clay W., a Jehovah Witness from Chicago whose fascination with superheros became his inspiration to help the community.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5c627e255c1e.jpg[/atsimg]

With his own two hands, Clay cast and molded custom plastic robot attire built with detailed electronic devices that allow the robot to light up and make noise by remote control. The end result was a flexible light weight suit that provided Clay with the superhero powers needed to get the kids attention. "When a person talks to a child, they will hear it but they won't get it. When a character or a musician says it, they will listen every time."

Source

I also found this site which. I think these robots are real though
- edit - no there not real but the suits are more robot like..

www.theshowbots.com...

edit on 16-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Looks like I shouldn't have put this up during pointless-post-rush hour.

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. The big guy is clearly a robot.

I will be checking back on this thread if there is anyone who wishes to discuss the future involving robotics. If anyone has any other interesting videos or articles to add, they would be much appreciated.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
Looks like I shouldn't have put this up during pointless-post-rush hour.

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. The big guy is clearly a robot.

I will be checking back on this thread if there is anyone who wishes to discuss the future involving robotics. If anyone has any other interesting videos or articles to add, they would be much appreciated.

They are ALL people in robot suits. Are you kidding me? Surely you can't be so dense.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
They are ALL people in suits, apart from the dog robot at the end, which is just a remote controlled puppet.

Even the big guy is just a guy in a suit with moving lights...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Winnuting

yeep that was the point of my first reply in this thread. I think the OP overlooked it or didnt bother reading it...hmm

But yeah they guy created the '' SUITS'' out of precast light weight metal, and then added on elec commonents that were contolled remotley such as lights and moving parts.

Read the first reply and the article i posted. I sez it all.

Seriously it was obvious they were people in fake suits, the movements and agility. That big robot, and the way it was moving ha... if that had been a robot it would have lost balance and fallen over.

Although as per the OP's reply, there are many futurisitc robitcs out there, even some for sale.

Asimo has been one of my favourites over the past years but there has been many more since then.

Related media:

Robots will be apart of our future, actually they are here now, who do you think built your brand new car, the majority is robotics.

Phnuematics

Hydrolics,

AI

Faster CPU's

Nano-Tech

Custom Alloys

It's all happening around us. But yeah the OP clip wasn't real robots, i did try to point that out in my reply without putting the OP down but hmm it seems that u all missed that....

For anyone that has been hiding under a rock... here are the Asimo websites..

asimo.com.au...

en.wikipedia.org...

asimo.honda.com...

It is really an awesome robot and the way of the future. LOL does anyone remember the Rocky movies, i think it was Rocky II or perhaps Rocky III, he had a robot assistant.

Things are heading that way folks. Although as long as we dont end up like Caprica i'll be happy.
edit on 17-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Did you actually read my article..... It was a suit, not a robot. The guy might have been big but it was a suuuuit!!

And yeah got it right when you said pointless post rush hour.... yawn

If you wanted to start a thread on robotics perhaps put it in the right forum and start with a video clip of ''ACTUAL'' robots

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Looking at our current advances in Robotics i would be so bold as tp say that robots ( putting aside spirit and opportunity ) will be the first to touch down on Mars soil.

In the 50's and 60's Monkeys and canines were the first to enter outer-space. In the 21st century robots will be the first to enter foreign planets. It has already happened as per the mars rover's. They may not have AI but they are are robots arent they?

As robots develop so does our space program. Robots will be the first to touch down on Mars and perhaps further. When i say robots, i mean humanoid robots as per Asimo and similar.

Remember the Miltary is always far ahead of civilialion and Public Corp research. If Honda, Sony and many others have developed robots as per above, what do you think the Military and Nasa has planned.

1 Billion $$ is worth the risk,, when a human life isnt... although that is a different argument and a different thread altogether, 1 Billion $$ has more productive value here on Earth than anywhere in our S System....

new topics

top topics

join