It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fremantle Hungry Jack's won't serve kids during school hours to battle truancy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

SCHOOL children will be refused service at a Hungry Jack's restaurant in Fremantle during school hours in a bid to tackle truancy. The measure has been introduced ahead of the new school term after a request from police, who said local children were skipping school and using the South Tce store as a meeting point. Hungry Jack's said children of school age would be served during class hours only if they had a Department of Education "leave pass".

edit on 16-1-2011 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Ya know, I think dangerous substances such as this should be off-limits to anyone under 18.

It’s a controlled substance after all, chemically engineered to get you addicted, It comes at a cost, offering something you rarely actually get while giving you a quick high.

Definitely not something I want my 10 or even 13yr old to be able to get freely with their pocket money.

www.news.com.au...
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 16-1-2011 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Wow how lame, I dont see how they can do this considering there are home school kids, private school kids on different schedules, GED kids, graduated kids, traveling kids etc who are 16 or 17 and are not committing truancy.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Wow this is a stupid solution!

I mean this kids obviously don't care about school in the first place so they will just find another hang out to go to. In the mean time hungry jacks will lose business!

Let's try to fix the actual problem...
here's a start... Why are kids skipping school to go to hungry jacks? 1. School is boring. 2. School food is gross!
Solution: Make school more fun by serving hungry jacks at lunch time! And hungry jacks won't lose business~

edit on 16-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
And these kids will just go somewhere else. Policies like this only make headaches for people like me: those who look school aged but who are actually quite a bit older. If they did this in the States, I'd be carded just going into a frickin McDonald's.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM
Wow how lame, I dont see how they can do this considering there are home school kids, private school kids on different schedules, GED kids, graduated kids, traveling kids etc who are 16 or 17 and are not committing truancy.

I'm not saying I agree with what they are doing but to answer your question, they have the right to refuse service to anyone.... They might be losing some truant customers but it's also possible that it might help business. Bratty kids that are there skipping school could be deterring other customers from eating there during the week.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Would probably help if they dealt with the source of the problem, parenting and school security..

More to the point, I think they would probably target people in school uniforms..

And even more to the point, I'd like to see some substantiated proof pertaining to this quote in particular.

It’s a controlled substance after all, chemically engineered to get you addicted, It comes at a cost, offering something you rarely actually get while giving you a quick high.

I don't think I have ever seen such a contrived form of bulls**t in a public arena, and considering this is ATS.. that's really saying something.
edit on 16-1-2011 by plexus because: additional information added

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
On a brighter note...

The McDonalds next door has said that they will serve ALL childten at any time of the day. First 30 kids after 8:00am Monday through Friday get their meal supersized for free and a Jabba the Hutt drinking glass (lead included, prices may vary)..

This is silly. Only the fast food restaurants will profit. They are probably pretty pleased.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I think the point is,the little waggers were using the HJ as a meeting place and hanging out there ( more than likely causing strife for patrons and workers alike)

My personal opinion is that any child of school age should be bloody well at school,and if not,accompanied by a responsible adult during school times.

There is no excuse for this type of shenanigans.

edit on 16-1-2011 by Cygnus_Hunter because: upsized to large meal.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
They just want to pretend they have left school and started work,Ambitious little buggers.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Why not just tag all school kids with gps trackers so their every movement can be monitored.

Back in my day (late '80s) I committed my fair share of truancy, and looking back I considered that as part of my education. You just can't learn street-smarts in school.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by yizzel

Obviously you didn't attend public schools?

Sorry. Couldn't resist...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
This is done across many fast food outlets across Australia all the time, and has been done for years.

It's not going to stop kids from leaving early or not going to school though.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
to be honest that place used to be full of kids during the day...

its probably a good thing they wont serve them, although im sure they will find somewhere else to go..

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
reply to post by yizzel

Obviously you didn't attend public schools?

Sorry. Couldn't resist...

lol, not true though...

for making me laugh

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
This is stupid. So the kids will just get on the bus and go to the hungry jacks down the road, or go to McDonalds instead, or go to the skate park instead, or go to a friends house whos parents are at work.

Nice work police.

What are the kids going to think? "Oh, I really don't want to go to school today but hungry jacks wont serve me so I might as well go to school".

edit on 16/1/11 by Nventual because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Personally I don't see the big deal.

There was a McDonald's literally in our back parking lot. You just went thru the fence, which was gated, and then there you were in McD's parking lot. There was also a Denny's on the corner, also behind our school...

Well they both did the same thing and it wasn't bad for their business it was GOOD for their business. The kids would do nothing but cause problems and not buy food which hurt their businesses. They would take up all the seating and order coke and a fry and share it for hours. I can only imagine how kids are today since most I encounter are selfish brats with no respect for authority.

The McD's and Denny's did this for a couple years and then they started letting kids back in but they had to buy something and be out at a certain time and couldn't hang around. That worked fine!

Businesses imo have a right to protect their business and sorry but kids nowadays have no respect for authority and if they were hurting the business then I say go for it to Hungry Jacks...they won't lose business over it. People will be HAPPY kids arent in their ruining their dining experience, believe me I have been there.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This sort of thing has been happening in a few shopping centres here in Perth over the last few years as well. AFAIK its because young people are seen as a nusance and in some cases they cause trouble. Usually they are just hanging out though.

Police state here we come!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by stealthXninja

Perfectly so. But the kids also have the right not spend their money there after school is out.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

I agree, and if the kids don't agree with what the restaurant is doing, I hope they do exercise their freedom of choice and choose not to eat there. If I got refused service, I wouldn't want to go back...

new topics

top topics

join