It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Case for Humanity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I thought it might be rather interesting to run an exercise.

If there were a force that would judge humanity, but would let it plead its case, what would be said? When i was thinking about this, i couldn’t help but remember the older star trek episode with Q (i think it was that?). i believe a similar thing was done there, but that wasnt nearly as fun as an active discourse
. i am going to kind of write this in a “scene” type setup. This should provide a very interesting introspective to ourselves, at least that is what i am personally hoping for those of us that may partake in this discussion, including myself.

Feel free to take on a character! Maintain respect. Ill start off with the “Inquisition.” Id say there aren’t really “rules” per say, but I think to maintain the idea behind it, the “Inquisitor” does not need to answer any questions. Ive never personally done anything like this, so it should be a learning experience for this one. i may even pick up some other roles throughout, or if the thread dies out as quickly as it began like my other.

Inquisitor;
“The race of humanity has had enough time to progress, but it has done nothing but stifle itself. Amputating its own limbs, bereft of disease or infliction so the head would receive all blood flow. It is, itself, a diseased limb in desperate need of amputation. The cases of heroism, love, bravery are few and far between. Such people are even considered special and receive reknown within the public. The only progress to be had in humanity, is with technology. But, now that technology has reached, and will shortly expand beyond, a realm where such simple, spiteful creatures should not play. Each one is given a limited time frame within which they write their stories. Every passing moment a decision, and what is chosen? Death, destruction, money, selfishness, fear, mindlessness. The only time something such as love, peace, and compassion come into play is for profit. Rarely will it even be shown outside of a familial group. Love for a “stranger” is not only considered a weakness, but is a feature many, many will view as a for profit situation.

Humans view themselves as personally not responsible for the troubles in the world, blaming others long before one will blame themselves. Very, very, very few stand up, and most of those who do say they would, crumple and fold when the time comes. Then the majority who do stand have nothing but anger, death, and mindlessness towards those they would "stand up against."

Until now, such things are nothing more than specks on driftwood, but given the advent of new and particularly future technologies.. Humanity has become not only an imminent threat to itself, but will quickly become one to the intergalactic community itself. Given its track record, humanity is now being put on trial, with the end result likely being “destruction” as they see it. Not only for the prevention of future atrocity, but specifically for what has been done and what has not been done.

Case: Humanities perseverance and continued existence will lead to nothing but further death and destruction on continually larger scales. Their actions throughout history speak louder than their empty words

So, what is to be said in defense?”

**mods, im relatively sure this is the correct forum, but the world is a crazy place
you obviously know what to do if its in the wrong forum.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
For a short response to such an inquisition I would say: Let the people live and learn.

For a longer response I would expand on what exactly I mean by that. But also, I would question if humanity would become an "intergalactic" threat any time soon

edit on 30-1-2011 by roughhouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
On behalf of humanity, I concur with the accusations presented. My suggestion: As humanity has not garnered respect for itself or the world in which it lives, despite opportunity and warning, I suggest humanity NOT be destroyed by your graces, but instead be made to continue to suffer its own injustices until it destroys itself, as it most certainly will. Humanity has not earned such an easy way out.
edit on 31-1-2011 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
We don't approve of slavery anymore so that's a plus. The world itself will end no matter what, so what difference does it make if it ends tomorrow or a million years? Either way it's natural, unless you're arguing that humans are not natural but supernatural.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by roughhouse

For a short response to such an inquisition I would say: Let the people live and learn.

For a longer response I would expand on what exactly I mean by that. But also, I would question if humanity would become an "intergalactic" threat any time soon

Inquisitor: "Letting humanity live and learn will pose a risk to other civilizations. Such an option is not on the table. As far as their time status as an intergalactic threat, well, perhaps such things will not be a concern depending on the outcome of this trial"

Inquisitor smirks slightly

originally posted by Wolf321

On behalf of humanity, I concur with the accusations presented. My suggestion: As humanity has not garnered respect for itself or the world in which it lives, despite opportunity and warning, I suggest humanity NOT be destroyed by your graces, but instead be made to continue to suffer its own injustices until it destroys itself, as it most certainly will. Humanity has not earned such an easy way out.

Inquisitor: "Humanity may not have earned an easy way out, but neither have they earned the right for time. Humanity may destroy itself, shortly, but not before further defiling the land and resources upon which they reside. It is not a concern of ours whether they suffer longer, as they have suffered for thousands of years. The extended time, however, may result in desecration of the planet to an irreparable level. The planets health, and further colonization, are of much greater concern. Egregious acts are still taking place, on large scales and individual scales. It is action we seek to witness, or personal decisions that will lead to action."

Inquisitor turns around slowly and dissipates

Thank you for the responses
Its rather interesting, perhaps in doing this, it forced this one to also consider things like this. Although, i have already copied and pasted that particular post twice, so i wont do it further. In essentially talking to myself, i came to the conclusion that a change truly must take place. The same problems have existed for a very long time, but now, they have simply scaled up proportionally due to population, but exponentially due to technology. i was right in thinking it would be a learning experience, at least for me so far. Thank you again for the responses, it almost seemed as though no one wanted to make a case for themselves. i ended up doing it in other threads

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

I think you entirely missed the idea behind the thread. star anyway
edit: it is also possible i misunderstood, forgive if that is the case.
edit on 31-1-2011 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

You timing on this thread is coincidental for me. This past week have have been thinking a great deal about the judgment of humanity. If God were to ask me if humanity was worth saving, I most certainly would say no, despite any good things we have done, or are even capable of doing. Of course, this is as a whole.

I don't see any reason humanity could or even should be given consideration with what it is comprised of now. However, should nature or God or whatever you believe be able to prune the tree of its diseased limbs, and ideally with some explanation and guidance, then it would be possible and I welcome it.

edit on 31-1-2011 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321

You timing on this thread is coincidental for me. This past week have have been thinking a great deal about the judgment of humanity. If God were to ask me if humanity was worth saving, I most certainly would say no, despite any good things we have done, or are even capable of doing. Of course, this is as a whole.

I don't see any reason humanity could or even should be given consideration with what it is comprised of now. However, should nature or God or whatever you believe be able to prune the tree of its diseased limbs, and ideally with some explanation and guidance, then it would be possible and I welcome it.

Inquisitor looks curiously in Wolf's direction

Inquisitor: "Perhaps there are indeed budding roses amongst the decrepit plant. In pruning the dead, dying, and unconscious limbs it is possible for the remaining parts to bloom. Given the proper nutrients, water, and sunlight such things may even thrive. Though, it is known to us that such things are dependent entirely upon not only the choices made, but the actions and movements made off of those choices. With what assurance could such decisions be made? Indeed, it will be through what actions are taken as of now. A singular case has been made, but it is considered successful to us in a small degree. We have been given a viable course of action. Hope has been partially rekindled, though there are winds that may still snuff them out. The case against the masses of humanity still lingers, however, and we will exert solutions if humanity does not have the strength to do so for itself. Humanity has been given many years."

Inquisitor turns around and dissipates

Very interesting response, friend. this one has some things to think about
thank you again, for responding.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I think the main problem that we have is what is described in Economics as the "Tragedy of the Commons" - we all take a small piece of the worlds natural resources (individually) so none of us can ever really feel responsible for the total depletion of the worlds resources. In the old days, when they used to hunt whales, they never thought that the whales would "run out" - but now we know. The same thing goes for trees and deforestation. If you want to know who is to "blame" then you have to look at it scientifically, and see those who are eating/consuming without using that energy to provide work. For example, the Western world is about 15% of the worlds population, however we consume about 75% of the worlds resources. We basically sit around for most of the time watching television, mean while, overseas, people are spending thier time working very hard to just have enough food to survive. In terms of justice, nature will solve such problems, as we over-eat, we suffer from record levels of obesity/cancers/heart and lung diseases, as we over-indulge in entertainment, we become increacingly shallow, eventually losing our emotions and losing our souls, suffering from record levels of depression and insanity. We are already falling apart, it is only a matter of time.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

So, what is to be said in defense?

There is nothing to be said in defense of humanity, they are not only accelerating themselves towards extinction but millions of other species would also be extinct with them if they don't change their behavior and Darwinian belief systems. But if humans recognize that they are creating this dilemma and take responsibility for it, than i believe they would be able to return earth to its previous harmony and glory.
The Sixth Extinction Will Be Caused By Human Race !

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

My point is that nature works this way. Something else always has to suffer or die so another entity may live. If plants could cry they totally would. The way the whole ecosystem runs on this idea. It's only natural that humans or some other dominant species would destroy their home. I think the distinction between artificial and natural is silly, because humans are natural. So no matter how bad things are it's only nature running its course, except through the form of humans. Would you kill all dolphins to save the ocean, or would you let nature run its course?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
In defense of humanity, please consider the unnatural condition the soul finds itself, trapped in the human body on this earth.

Humanity, by and large, has been separated from its orginal Home of bliss and unending love, and has been left to struggle blindly against the powerful compulsions of the unconscious while facing unforgiving and hostile forces of nature. There is no lasting comfort in this world, and existence itself is uncertain and fragile, with death itself barely a breath away.

It is a wonder that humanity has achieved so much, and even manages to show a measure of love and compassion in word and deed.

I think humanity has written in blood and tears the hero's journey, and for that it has earned a hero's reward.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by sinohptik
So, what is to be said in defense?”

Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
I think the main problem that we have is what is described in Economics as the "Tragedy of the Commons" - we all take a small piece of the worlds natural resources (individually) so none of us can ever really feel responsible for the total depletion of the worlds resources. In the old days, when they used to hunt whales, they never thought that the whales would "run out" - but now we know. The same thing goes for trees and deforestation. If you want to know who is to "blame" then you have to look at it scientifically, and see those who are eating/consuming without using that energy to provide work. For example, the Western world is about 15% of the worlds population, however we consume about 75% of the worlds resources. We basically sit around for most of the time watching television, mean while, overseas, people are spending thier time working very hard to just have enough food to survive. In terms of justice, nature will solve such problems, as we over-eat, we suffer from record levels of obesity/cancers/heart and lung diseases, as we over-indulge in entertainment, we become increacingly shallow, eventually losing our emotions and losing our souls, suffering from record levels of depression and insanity. We are already falling apart, it is only a matter of time.

Inquisitor comes back into the room

Inquisitor: "SystemResistor, you are correct that humans must take responsibility for their actions. This, however, can be done in front of things like the "television." Other than that, you are not making the best case to save you or your people. We do not need to be educated on the downfalls of humanity. For, it is those, and their future repercussions, that have brought us to this point in time and space to begin with. Time, once again, is not an option on the table"

Inquisitor shifts slightly

originally posted by Vinay86

There is nothing to be said in defense of humanity, they are not only accelerating themselves towards extinction but millions of other species would also be extinct with them if they don't change their behavior and Darwinian belief systems. But if humans recognize that they are creating this dilemma and take responsibility for it, than i believe they would be able to return earth to its previous harmony and glory.

Inquisitor: "The millions of other species, along with ecosystems, are most certainly in danger. The choice is either to recognize the responsibility inherent, and follow through with action.. Or face the consequences"

originally posted by 547000

My point is that nature works this way. Something else always has to suffer or die so another entity may live. If plants could cry they totally would. The way the whole ecosystem runs on this idea. It's only natural that humans or some other dominant species would destroy their home. I think the distinction between artificial and natural is silly, because humans are natural. So no matter how bad things are it's only nature running its course, except through the form of humans. Would you kill all dolphins to save the ocean, or would you let nature run its course?

Inquisitor shakes his head somberly

Inquisitor: "Semantics are not the issue, human. You are unaware of the technology we have at our disposal, or the size of our system. Letting "nature run its course" as is suggested has already been done for thousands of years, and look at the result. It is time for action, and if humanity is too weak, it will be be taken for them. This is not just a matter of one planet, but even if it was, think of it as.. "chemotherapy." Also considering future technologies, such paths of destruction will only lead to the same cycle being repeated on larger scales. It must be treated before it gets out of hand. The dolphins will be just fine. Their existence, the oceans existence, and many others, are in significantly more jeopardy if humans continue their chosen path."

originally posted by mysticnoon

In defense of humanity, please consider the unnatural condition the soul finds itself, trapped in the human body on this earth.

Humanity, by and large, has been separated from its orginal Home of bliss and unending love, and has been left to struggle blindly against the powerful compulsions of the unconscious while facing unforgiving and hostile forces of nature. There is no lasting comfort in this world, and existence itself is uncertain and fragile, with death itself barely a breath away.

It is a wonder that humanity has achieved so much, and even manages to show a measure of love and compassion in word and deed.

I think humanity has written in blood and tears the hero's journey, and for that it has earned a hero's reward.

Inquisitor: "Humanity has achieved little. They have invested all of their time into technology, and very little in helping one another. In one nation, a human is so terribly sad and lonely because their massive living space is so empty. In another, children wish for nothing more than food and water. Their separation from what you call the original Home of Bliss, is done willingly and by choice. Your "saints" and "hero's" are the only ones worth the body they reside in. It is not a matter of struggle, all is a struggle. It is a matter of how one approaches one self, and others during the struggle. In that, humanity has failed. This failure will spiral out of control if it is not stopped now. By continuing to exist, humanity poses a risk to all of the universe. Do the white blood cells in your bodies ask the invading infections if they have 'struggled?'"

Inquisitor turns around an..

originally posted by Cecilofs

Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do!

Inquisitor smiles warmly

Inquisitor: "Human, "they" have already been forgiven before the act took place. Death, the one which humans are so fearful, is just an illusion."

Inquisitor fades slightly and then dissipates

To be honest, i was slightly hoping people could pick up "characters" to get outside of their comfort zone a little. I believe when this is done, one can more easily see into their own set of philosophies and perspective. That, in itself, is the point of the exercise
I think ill pick up another character, just need to think about it a little. Thank you all deeply for your interaction and your responses.

top topics

join