It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunters: Why do you hunt?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
You see hunters also keep the species in check. If they become low in numbers the quantities are numbered on bag limits and can be so far as taken off the game hunting list. Stop hunting altogether and the deer for example will multiply to large numbers limiting food supply to them that in turn could cause a mass death during winter months. Same with Turkey. It all equals out. I believe it was in Gods plans.

But there are those that shouldn`t hunt. The type that don`t shoot so good and there are those that don`t track deer.
Those hunters the world could do without.

And I believe the wild game sure led a better life to the farmed animals. Plus I`d rather see there be hunters or I would imagine the Government would be keeping the numbers down with poisoning them as they do some critters already.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
reply to post by anumohi

I'm not convinced that having to kill in order to feel alive is a particularly healthy thing.

I eat what i kill, its not to get my cookies. that's reserved for people

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
any overpopulation with any species causes disease and starvation, we must harvest to conserve.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

Isn't it odd how the planet got along just fine for 4 billion years before all of our help was required.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I hunt because it is my duty to my family to ensure that I am able to provide in all possible scenarios. with the future looking like it does, i am very happy that i can hunt, fish, grow food, sew, and other basic survival things.

Yes, the grocery store is right there with lots of beef. But my grocer doesn't carry venison, and if they did the cost would be prohibitive

Plus, it is a bonding experience for my son and I, and a great way for him to learn to use a gun appropriately. You know, we just go out and take part in the Earthly human experience. I am hoping to be able to pick up bow hunting when he is a little older.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

yeah , man expanded his living space and now they have nowhere to live but tearing up farmers crop fields and destroying peoples cars as they are smashed all over the hiways.

its fine for you not to hunt, but you're not being a part of any solution

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

I am a big fan of wild hog hunting for this very reason. They are a pest, and have been known to kill children. It is best to cull them when they are seen near people to prevent the spread of disease, and the injury to property and people.

And it is always nice to roast a whole hog.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

they have a kill on sight where i live..no license required open season.

although i only hunt deer or foxes when they start wiping out my chickens

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
We (my hubby and I) hunt for the meat to eat. It isn't a moral issue with us, it's just like when you go to the grocery store and purchase your meat. We just want to really process it ourselves; butcher it and make sausage without all the unknown factors of what's in our food I suppose. In my state there are many, many deer that run across the highways and county roads that cause car accidents, some of which are deadly. I guess it's population control as well. Well, it is; obviously; their numbers aren't controlled so much by natural predators these days. Our local news just did a story on this topic and advised people to stop feeding them because of the danger they pose to motorists. They had a video cam out that showed them crossing a busy road to get to the backyard that had the feeder and it was pretty clear it was a dangerous situation. We shoot and kill in our natural habitat and we use the meat to eat. I don't see any difference in that when going to the grocery store to buy chicken wings for hot wings for football night. We hunt and shoot pheasant and grouse, good stuff. We also fish and catch walleye; we eat it, We are not vegetarians obviously. If I were I would have the big complaint. Thank you for the time and thought you put into your thread.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I can't speak for others, but my reasons are for food and for sport (let's be honest). Wildlife provides a cleaner meat with no additives, steroids, preservitives, etc. It also trims the population down so you don't hit 15 deer everytime you leave the house.

I strongly oppose killing anything one isn't going to eat just for "the fun of it".

If we can't eat it all we donate to a very worthy cause... www.h4hungry.org...

Nothing goes to waste.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

With hogs? Yeah, here too. Deer are kind of expensive, though.

But hogs have been open hunt for a few years. My dad, when he was still alive, saw one that charged him. He went in to get the rifle, but it was gone. Someone hit it later around the corner on the road. It was huge.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by anumohi

With hogs? Yeah, here too. Deer are kind of expensive, though.

Ahhhhh - - wild Boar. Have to tell my story - its fun.

My first encounter with a wild boar. My dad was the caretaker of Catalina Airport. There used to be a small house on the side of the runway where my dad and his wife lived. My brothers and I used to spend summers there.

Anyway - - one morning I came into the living room and there was this huge wild boar hanging from the rafters bleeding into a bucket. Not exactly what a 9 year old girl expects to see for breakfast

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

they use corn mixed with dry strawberry jello to draw them in. you better be a good shot with a semi auto, because after you kill the first couple, they will never come back to that spot..smart lil piggies

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

well i dont have a video camera first off or i would also have that set up but i do like venison so i would like to harvest an animal for food. i am not a trophy hunter or i would go out with a rifle to hopefully increase my odds. i have gone out with a friend and sat in a blind and we had his camera set up, of course we didnt get an footage that day. just the way things go sometimes.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I will be real honest here.

My hubby hunted when he was younger... nto so much now. If the economy gets worse. I know a damned good hunter I can send out though! He, like many people dont have that urge or feel what some of us do wen we hunt though. I hunted all of my life and still do when I get the itch. I prefer game meats and free range... I buy free range and hormone free bison and beef now and it costs me an arm and a leg. Where the honesty comes in is that I enjoy it.. I always have. I enjoy killing the animal, gutting it, hauling it out of the woods, dressing it and packaging it for future use. I just do... and Im unapologetic about it. I feel no revulsion over raw meat as I see some do... it makes me hungry and its a good thing to me. I feel a great satisfaction in providing my own meat for myself and my own family..... even though I can spend more than needed on store bought it if I wish. My most favorite hunting which I have only done a handfull of times was bear with my father. Theyre magnificent animals. I find deer pretty boring and tedious... but quite tasty
Let those who do not have the desire or skill to hunt pretend that meat magically appears on the shelves in plastic wrap. For me, I find I respect my food more when I see up close and personal where it comes from. I do not waste.. the animal deserves that much. I can personally never be or never desire to be a vegetarian.. it would kill me and I resent anyone who would try to push such uneducated BS upon me
I dont dictate to anyone else what they can or cant eat, I suggest no one tries that on me.

on a side note:
Ive spoken about this before.. Im native american.. one generation off of the rez and Im blackfeet. The white folks "food pyramid" would and did keep me sick and unwell.... and in a constant state of starvation. When I became an adult I wanted to follow a "healthy" lifestyle and applied the white peoples stuff to my life. Bad idea. Most NAs are allergic to milk and I can not eat your dairy requirements and I need more fats and proteins. I eat what my body tells me to. My parents never forced me to clean plates or have established meal times. Food was cooked and I ate when I wanted. Im in my 40's, VERY physically fit, nothing pointing south or merging there and I still wear a size 5.. although I consume a huge amount of meats and fats in comparison to the food pyramid guidelines. IMO we should all eat what our bodies ( aka our genetics) tell us to. Youll hear a lot about the NAs being overweight... its the dairy and etc.. not the fats. Its also the gross laziness one can find on the rez
You cant believe all you read and ** all ** tribes are different. I have nothing in common with the southwestern tribes dietary needs for example. Not any more similar than my dietary needs are to the Americans who are English or German or etc.

If you are anglo or EUropean or black or hispanic..whatever you are.. do research on your history of dietary needs and what your peoples consumed.. what their needs were. If you have any sense you can fit the information you find in with your modern lifestyle and flourish.

One of your conspiracies here should be the govt, FDA, and your health system trying to kill us all with these wieird ideas that we all should eat the same and consume the same things in the same amounts.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I have herds of deer and flocks of turkey and acreage full of rabbit, squirrel,ground hog, ETC. I never really hunt any of them but the deer, cuz their soooo yummy. i mostly just go out and hang out with them. they are all around me. I'll wake up in the morning and I'll have an entire yard of deer. i can sit on my front porch and they will just go about their businesses, wiggling their lil tails and popping their heads up, and stand there with their ears all perked up listening to me talking to them, and not be any further away than 20 yards. i love my wildlife and i never intentionally abuse them. they are my survival and i respect what i have.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

I know no hunters whom hunt out of necessity, be it for food, or clothing. All hunters I know do it for "the sport". I often wonder what sort of sport it is sneaking up on a deer with a sniper rifle and ending its life for fun...this to me sounds a bit twisted.
Now, I do see value in knowing how to do this should the day come when it is necessary, however...the whole sport confuses me...what do you get out of it? Is it an enjoyable experience seeing a prey species die by your hand because you thought it was fun? What is the rush you get?

Lol, in enjoy the hunt and i do have fun, but i think you are incorrect, why?

Well, i think every animal who hunts have fun doing it, yes, there is a rush, hormones, and is simple beautiful to know you were able to catch your target, watch some NatGeo, is not the hyena enjoying the hunt? the lion? the cheetah? the wolf? why is so criminal that a lot of humans feel the same?

Of course, i think it may be boring to use a rifle, in fact, i like to use a bow, if there were mamuths alive i will love to hunt one with an spear, but sometimes we do need to use a rifle, remember, we may be smart but we suck a lot without weapons, not good skin, not good bones, no claws, no horns, nothing, so sometimes we need a good real advantage.

I would use a rifle only with realy dangerous prey, but if im going to hunt a deer or a rabit, well, rifles sucks!

And that about a hunter that hunts because he enjoy to see an species dying is like saying i enjoy a hamburger because i want to see cows go extinct.

And well, the rush, you know, i think civilization will never be able to erase our hunter past and our hunting instincts, so there will be always people like us, in ancient days maybe you would had been a gatherer
, so, don't worry, be happy, we are what we are.

P.S. I love animals, really love animals, i should had study biology, and because i love animals i understand very well that nature is not very nice, that animals kill animals for a lot of reasons, and i really hate those people who thinks lions must eat tofu and that nature is some kind of wonderful paradise full of love, happy faces and cute bunnies so we can't hunt because we are evil.
edit on 16-1-2011 by MonteroReal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Hi Advantage,
I very much like your post. It has a lot of good information, is level headed and you provide reasons for enjoying hunting that I have not heard or considered before (such as respecting your food more and eating what you believe you body needs etc). I can relate to that.

I wish our meat did magically appear on the table. Our meat industries are disgraceful and need a lot of improvement. Animals in the industry need to be treated with much more respect, the end product needs to have less junk in it and the whole process needs to be less invasive to the environment or we are never going to survive. Hopefully some day we end up with an ideal system in that regard.

I like to look at what we evolved to eat for the tens of thousands of years before production foods came along. Wild meat was primary diet component and I bet we would all live a lot longer if we were eating foods that our ancestors bodies evolved to work with.

Thanks for not posting another of the typical "Grrrrr! Hunting is good for the warrior in me, grrrr, grrrrrrrrrrr!" posts.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I don't eat what I kill, not anymore.

Instead of a gun I use this 'device' which snaps shut and crushes the bones of the beast after luring it in with food and mating calls. I know that some people say that is not very sporting, but I don't care. Yup, the devices I use now are big enough and powerful enough to practically cut a full grown doe or even a buck mouse in half.

Buck mouse.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Ask and you shall receive...

Bacon Ice Cream

Personally I only hunt deer in my area, and even then only a couple times a year or until we have enough meat in a storage cooler. My family hunts for meat only and never for sport. This year with the economy doing it's thing has shown me the necessity of hunting. Time's are getting tough and money is short, so needless to say we have been eating a lot of venison.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join