It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stevie Ray Vaughan!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Ok i brought him up in my other thread:
Who Would You Induct Into The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame?
Its an absolute mystery to me why he hasn't been inducted yet.

Anyway i thought i would start a thread on the guy, who is, in my opinion the second greatest guitarist ever after jimi hendrix,i know technically there are some amazing guitarists out there like steve vai for example but i just cant get into some of those guys music,the reason i class hendrix/vaughan as the very best is because not only were they unbelievable guitarists but they were unbelievable song writers too!

Please feel free to add any SRV videos to this thread!

SRV WIKIPEDIA

edit on 15/1/11 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by lektrofellon

I completely agree!

LOVE HIM!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
not too shabby

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
...here ya go...

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

For some reason Stevie and Jimi just go together.. here is is doing "Little Wing"..

..also - it wasn't one of his biggest hits but I always liked..

..and he could even make a nursery rhyme rock..

..and for those that want it without all the frills - unplugged Stevie..

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Thanks guys!
Thats what im talking about,fantastic!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Not a guy, but i take my chances anyway

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
ah yeah so many could'nt stand the weather, superstition, cold shot etc.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Forgot to mention my 2nd son's middle name is Vaughn after SRV...BUT I SPELLED IT WRONG!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

You know those faces he woul pull on stage? That wasn't artistic ecstasy, that was pain.

He used super-thick strings (.013 to .058) and often bent notes up as far as a minor third. That hurts.

edit on 17/1/11 by Astyanax because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Love me some Stevie Ray...great thread

edit on 1/17/11 by BlackOps719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
...heard a great piece yesterday - wanted to share but its not gonna be one of those instant gratification kind of thangs, lol... instructions below (hope they work)...

...the piece was stevie ray's "lenny" played as a backdrop to mlk's i have a dream speech... it plays at the beginning of the show and closes the show...

...go here..
archive.kpft.org...

...scroll down to Blues Brunch - Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 11:00 AM...

...click "download" and it'll come up on your windows media player... if you dont have windows, sorry, figure it out yourself cuz i'm clueless, lol...

...this particular segment is a 3hr show and starts with an instrumental, then the bbc news - then comes the good stuff...

...i listen to kpft every sunday (totally addicted) cuz its all Blues until 4pm...

...hope that all makes sense and, if it does, enjoy...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I had the pleasure of seeing him live here in New Hampshire at a smallish outdoor show about 4 months before he was killed, opening up for Joe Cocker. He was amazing.....

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

You know those faces he woul pull on stage? That wasn't artistic ecstasy, that was pain.

He used super-thick strings (.013 to .058) and often bent notes up as far as a minor third. That hurts.

edit on 17/1/11 by Astyanax because: (no reason given)

That's not really true.

I use 12's (0.12-0.52) on my gits, I get no pain from bending strings and I ain't no SRV. I'm sure he had very strong fingers and callouses an inch thick. He also tuned down half a step which makes the strings looser, which I only occasionally do. Not a lot of difference between 12's and 13's.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I read an interview with Chris Layton once and he was talking about the extremely thick and heavy guage borderline acoustic strings Stevie strung his Fender with. He said it was very common during a set that he would see SRV over in the corner supergluing the callouses back onto the tips of his fingers because they came off during the set before.

He would just glue them back on and keep playing. Bad ass

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Love Steve! Great thread so many great tunes!

edit on 17-1-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Love SRV man, he was the epitome of pouring one's soul into and through an instrument. Live at Macambo was an amazing show, and when I watched the vid I was blown away. To this day, if I had to pick just one song that I thought had the most beautiful guitar playing in it, I would pick Riviera Paradise, from his last album, after he had gotten clean and sober. It was also the last studio song Stevie ever recorded. He asked the engineers to turn off the studio lights when he recorded this, so it is truly from the heart and all feel. RIP SRV!

Peace,
spec

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Yeah man, that is some beautiful guitar playing,i never knew that was the last studio song he ever recorded,thanks for the vid!!!

top topics

join